Goddamn BEARS!

rhines81

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 XLT Tremor 7.3L - Rapid Red
My last 5 chickens bit the dust from a bear attack in the early Spring this year. I had 1 rooster, 4 hens. I was able to incubate 11 eggs out of their last week (of life) and ended up with 1 rooster and 2 hens that I have spent all Summer raising and nurturing. The new hens just started laying this week (I literally collected the 1st 2 eggs this week!). I locked the new group up at 6:30 this evening and when I went out out 9pm to have a smoke on the deck... the coop was tipped over, I re-righted it and took inventory ... 1 hen is missing (hoping she is hiding out in the woods or under the deck to rejoin them tomorrow). F&^king bears SUCK!. I now have my M&P 40 ready to go ... I DO NOT care about ANY Game Commission rules. I will protect my flock. I put too much work (and money) into my birds to have Yogi & boo-boo come have a picnic at my expense. It's my property and I will not sit back and watch it be stolen/eaten by wildlife because of stupid rules (tired of the Government telling me how to live). By the way ... bear meat tastes like pork ... very good slow cooked (think of Hawaiian pig roasts, that's bear meat).

I'm slightly hopeful that this hen will turn up healthy tomorrow as they had time to get to know my property from free ranging the past month. I do not see any feathers from a kill like from this Spring, so I am crossing my fingers until tomorrow that she is hiding out.

When I re-righted the coop, the one remaining hen and my rooster, "Cluck Norris" seemed very shell-shocked by the event. I'm probably not going to sleep too well tonight. If I can intervein another attack I will.

When I re-righted the coop, the one remaining hen and my rooster, "Cluck Norris" seemed very shell-shocked by the event. I'm probably not going to sleep too well tonight. If I can intervein another attack I will.
"Cluck Norris"
That is brilliant.

"Cluck Norris"
That is brilliant.
Actually this rooster is "son of Cluck", my original Cluck Norris died to the bear attack this past Spring ... so much for that and rest his soul! But yeah, it does add a slight cool factor to having a rooster named Cluck or son of Cluck. He just started challenging me when I walk into his yard ... I guess he doesn't challenge the bear.

I'll bet 10:1 he/she will be back🤐

I use rubber slugs in the 12 guage. Stings them real good at close range. Most folks around here say an electric wire is the most effective deterrent. But once they get a taste for chicke
image.jpeg
n that's bad...

My last 5 chickens bit the dust from a bear attack in the early Spring this year. I had 1 rooster, 4 hens. I was able to incubate 11 eggs out of their last week (of life) and ended up with 1 rooster and 2 hens that I have spent all Summer raising and nurturing. The new hens just started laying this week (I literally collected the 1st 2 eggs this week!). I locked the new group up at 6:30 this evening and when I went out out 9pm to have a smoke on the deck... the coop was tipped over, I re-righted it and took inventory ... 1 hen is missing (hoping she is hiding out in the woods or under the deck to rejoin them tomorrow). F&^king bears SUCK!. I now have my M&P 40 ready to go ... I DO NOT care about ANY Game Commission rules. I will protect my flock. I put too much work (and money) into my birds to have Yogi & boo-boo come have a picnic at my expense. It's my property and I will not sit back and watch it be stolen/eaten by wildlife because of stupid rules (tired of the Government telling me how to live). By the way ... bear meat tastes like pork ... very good slow cooked (think of Hawaiian pig roasts, that's bear meat).

So you come here cussing up a storm and then say you have a handgun & imply that your stupid enough to shoot a bear no matter what the law says, with a 40 cal pistola

You ain’t very smart are ya

They need to be controlled ! Dang grizzleys here in Montana are out of control killing women in tents in the middle of towns, kids playgrounds have to be surronded by bear fence. Experinced guides getting killed while fishing ! There are way too many of them. The feds keep shutting down the huntng seasons. !

Making up lies now trying to defend the murder of a bear just doing bear things.
So he’s not allowed to defend his property and animals? Happens a lot where they live. Farmers and ranchers defend their animals from predators all the time. Save the bear? but let that bear kill all the livestock and animals it wants? That’s someone’s livelihood.

So you come here cussing up a storm and then say you have a handgun & imply that your stupid enough to shoot a bear no matter what the law says, with a 40 cal pistola

You ain’t very smart are ya
If you depended on those animals to put food on your table or go to market with to make money/trade to survive, would you sit back and be idle?

Don't be so quick to judge. OP obviously trying to protect and defend what is their property on their property. I don't see this as a blatant disregard to the rules, rather a means to protect property and investment.

Back