Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
This is pretty intriguing:
“Corning Gorilla Glass, the same chemically strengthened yet lightweight glass used in cell phone screens, is now being offered by Jeep Performance Parts in the form of replacement windshields for the latest Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator models. …

The aforementioned warranty from Jeep Performance Parts that comes with every Gorilla Glass windshield is a two-year limited/unlimited-mileage affair. But hopefully, your windshield will survive damage-free for longer than that. Mopar’s new windshield uses a super-thin inner ply of Gorilla Glass combined with a 52% thicker outer ply, resulting in a windshield that is both lightweight and durable, with greater resistance to chips, cracks, and fractures from debris on and off the highway.”

If it truly works I hope it comes to the rest of the industry. Would be sweet for our Tremors.

It's a trap!

Gorilla Glass, at least in phones, is just ion infused glass - often attributed additional scratch resistance but prone to cracking; it's hardness comes at the expensive of being more brittle and thus prone to shatter. If they reverse the process, they reduce the tendency of the glass to shatter, at the expense of scratch resistance. It's introduction to the automotive world has produced middling results.

Keep an eye on it for sure, but one of the more memorable quotes from the jeep forum is "they'll crack more expensively"

I'm in the same boat, I've got a fascination with sapphire glass in my timepieces and mobile devices - if they figured out how to industrialize large applications like windscreens, I'd be all over it. In the end, the same consideration would likely apply there as well.

It's a trap!

Gorilla Glass, at least in phones, is just ion infused glass - often attributed additional scratch resistance but prone to cracking; it's hardness comes at the expensive of being more brittle and thus prone to shatter. If they reverse the process, they reduce the tendency of the glass to shatter, at the expense of scratch resistance. It's introduction to the automotive world has produced middling results.

Keep an eye on it for sure, but one of the more memorable quotes from the jeep forum is "they'll crack more expensively"

I'm in the same boat, I've got a fascination with sapphire glass in my timepieces and mobile devices - if they figured out how to industrialize large applications like windscreens, I'd be all over it. In the end, the same consideration would likely apply there as well.
All very good points. Seems like the argument from Mopar is that the lamination covers the weaknesses of Gorilla Glass. The longer warranty does speak somewhat to Mopar’s confidence in it, though it’s also more expensive and the warranty has exceptions.

So agreed that only time will tell.

The Gorilla Glass windshield has been out for a few years, it's just now being offered as a factory option ($86 up-charge when ordering a Jeep) . It can still obviously break but the guys who have been running them have slowed the amount of needed replacements. I know of a guy that had his windshield replaced 4 times but hasn't had to since upgrading to the Gorilla Glass option. Well worth the minimal cost in my opinion.

Вероятно все так, однако завтра я заполучу консультацию и отпишусь по этому поводу!
WTF?

I was in Florida for a conference and my buddy with me bought a Gladiator while we were there so we canceled our plane tickets and drove it back. About 5 miles from the hotel he hit a rock and cracked the windshield. We also noticed just about every jeep we passed on the trip home had a crack as well. I assume the angle of the windshield leaves it more prone to forceful impacts. That and the glass is probably not as thick these days due to cutting costs...

I was in Florida for a conference and my buddy with me bought a Gladiator while we were there so we canceled our plane tickets and drove it back. About 5 miles from the hotel he hit a rock and cracked the windshield. We also noticed just about every jeep we passed on the trip home had a crack as well. I assume the angle of the windshield leaves it more prone to forceful impacts. That and the glass is probably not as thick these days due to cutting costs...
Yep agreed. Though if it was new it’s likely it wasn’t the fancy glass since it sounds like it’s for replacement windshields only. Could be wrong on that, though.

Yep agreed. Though if it was new it’s likely it wasn’t the fancy glass since it sounds like it’s for replacement windshields only. Could be wrong on that, though.
Oh yeah my post was just in support for something like this is needed. The factory glass seems to be terrible from what I've seen. The other guy at my work has a crack in his as well. And the factory replacement glass is expensive (it's got jeeps around the edges in the black area). The other guy said he's not going to replace his just to have it crack again...

Oh yeah my post was just in support for something like this is needed. The factory glass seems to be terrible from what I've seen. The other guy at my work has a crack in his as well. And the factory replacement glass is expensive (it's got jeeps around the edges in the black area). The other guy said he's not going to replace his just to have it crack again...
Ah gotcha! Ya it does seem like they are more weak nowadays.

Вероятно все так, однако завтра я заполучу консультацию и отпишусь по этому поводу!

translates to:

Probably everything is so, but tomorrow I will get a consultation and unsubscribe on this matter!

...but I still don't understand. Spam bot? @modified

When I had my wrangler I went through 3 windshields in 2 months. I worked in ski industry, and with the winter traffic DOT was hammering the roads with sand (and pebbles). Often I could see the pebbles coming - from traffic going the other way. It totally was the angle. I had even considered putting packing tape over the entire window!

translates to:

Probably everything is so, but tomorrow I will get a consultation and unsubscribe on this matter!

...but I still don't understand. Spam bot? @modified
Maybe it's everybody's favorite poster with another new screen name. You know we are going commie here in the USA and maybe he is learning our new language.

translates to:

Shoot... faster on the draw again... I was just Google-Translating that myself!!! Mine came up with the same except "write on this matter" vs. "unsubscribe on this matter"

Back