Akwagon

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Velocity Blue Tremor 7.3l
Worth the $1500?
or a source of problems.
truck will be in garage

in the end, it's a personal decision, but I ordered my '21 without the panoramic moonroof. I wish a 'regular sized' moonroof would've been an option...
I feel like you'll get a mixed bag of replies, some positive & some not so positive.

I didn’t see myself using the moonroof but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I might be disappointed in the future if I didn’t have it. So, for $1500, I just ordered it. It’s not that much over 8 to 10 years.

its a moonroof... they already leak... my edge has one .. its been fine so far but my land lord has a 2017 f150 and his doesn't work and does leak on him in heavy rain

I didn’t see myself using the moonroof but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I might be disappointed in the future if I didn’t have it. So, for $1500, I just ordered it. It’s not that much over 8 to 10 years.
Did the exact same thing.

I think I have one of the few Platinum’s without. On our last truck, we rarely used it unless driving in a forest to see the trees. Easy enough to just step out and enjoy the air. Since we needed one during the shutdown there we not many trucks to chose from, And unable to order exactly what we wanted in time. No regrets not having it. Definitely personal preference.

I didn't want a moon roof for fear of dropping a ladder, canoe, kayak, pole saw, etc while loading it. I was only looking at King Ranch models and really struggled to find any without the moon roof. I think they look really cool, and if it was a car I would have done it, but since this is a truck and I have eventual plans to use it like a truck I decided to order what I wanted without the moon roof.

Have one in my 19 F150 SCSB and ordered it with my 20 F350 CCSB. I have not had any issues with mine and enjoy the open air feeling. But then I would also pull the doors and top off my Jeep in April and leave it open until October.

This is my third Ford with the panoramic, vista view, multi panel moonroof (or whatever they call the big assed moonroof). My wife's car is a 2017 Explorer, with the big moonroof. My old truck was an '18 Raptor, with the big moonroof. And my Tremor, yes, it also has the big moonroof.

Prior to the Explorer, we had a '01 and '03 F-150s, an '03 Mazda Protege5, a '99 Explorer, a '98 Contour SVT, and a '92 Taurus SHO. Each of these earlier vehicles had the normal sized, not so big-assed, factory moonroofs.

I've never had any issue with any moonroof on any of these vehicles. I accept that it is a big hole in the roof, with seals and mechanisms, which can eventually lead to issues. And that others have seen problems. But I think premature problems are the exception, rather than the rule. And given enough time, everything has an expected lifespan before needing replacement parts. I haven't kept any of the above vehicles past about 15 years, so maybe the lifespan is in the 10-15 year range - depending on care and usage?

tl:dr version: I've had lots of luck. Unless you're going to close the shade, and never open it - I recommend the moonroof!

P.S. Thinking about it, this is sorta crazy. Prior to that '92 SHO, I had a Firebird with T-tops. Prior to that, a '67 Chevy pickup and a '67 Bronco. That '67 Chevy was the only vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have some form of removeable roof'age or another.

EDIT: I forgot the '11 Fusion, also with a moonroof - and also no issues.

Last edited:
This is my third Ford with the panoramic, vista view, multi panel moonroof (or whatever they call the big assed moonroof). My wife's car is a 2017 Explorer, with the big moonroof. My old truck was an '18 Raptor, with the big moonroof. And my Tremor, yes, it also has the big moonroof.

Prior to the Explorer, we had a '01 and '03 F-150s, an '03 Mazda Protege5, a '99 Explorer, a '98 Contour SVT, and a '92 Taurus SHO. Each of these earlier vehicles had the normal sized, not so big-assed, factory moonroofs.

I've never had any issue with any moonroof on any of these vehicles. I accept that it is a big hole in the roof, with seals and mechanisms, which can eventually lead to issues. And that others have seen problems. But I think premature problems are the exception, rather than the rule. And given enough time, everything has an expected lifespan before needing replacement parts. I haven't kept any of the above vehicles past about 15 years, so maybe the lifespan is in the 10-15 year range - depending on care and usage?

tl:dr version: I've had lots of luck. Unless you're going to close the shade, and never open it - I recommend the moonroof!

P.S. Thinking about it, this is sorta crazy. Prior to that '92 SHO, I had a Firebird with T-tops. Prior to that, a '67 Chevy pickup and a '67 Bronco. That '67 Chevy was the only vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have some form of removeable roof'age or another.
This is exactly what I needed to hear. Never had a moonroof and was concerned I may have been asking for problems with all the negative opinions I have found but this kinda balances it out.

Make this into a vote thread so we can see the results easier.

One of the reasons I personally chose the F250 over the Ram was the oversized moonroof over the standard moonroof. Coming from the Jeep we like the open-air feel. Plus you only need one hot girl to stand up and flash them boobies to make that $1500 purchase worth it. :love:

I didn't want a moon roof for fear of dropping a ladder, canoe, kayak, pole saw, etc while loading it. I was only looking at King Ranch models and really struggled to find any without the moon roof. I think they look really cool, and if it was a car I would have done it, but since this is a truck and I have eventual plans to use it like a truck I decided to order what I wanted without the moon roof.
A friend of mine with a Raptor was pulling off his rack with a pulley system he has in the garage a couple of days ago. It's worked well for years. As he was pulling the rack the pulley came down with some 2x4's and shattered his sunroof............

Have had several cars with large moonroof and never had an issue. and frankly I love them the give a truck a whole different airy feeling...

Back