GAWR and tire index

B

BlueKilla

Hello all,

Wanted to get clarification on something before I have the Atturo Trail Blade XT 35x12.5x17s mounted on my wheels.

I saw F350 GAWR is 4800 for the front and 6950 for the rear. The tires I have are LRE with a load index of 121 (3195 max load per single).

Does the sum of the rear tires max load need to equal or exceed rear axle GAWR? Or does tire max load of each tire x 4 need to be greater than total truck GAWR F+R?

You want the sum of the rear tires max load rating to equal or exceed the rear axle rating OR to equal or exceed the sum of the stock tires.

Otherwise your max payload could be less than stock.

That said, I’m not certain that the axles or the tires are the lowest rated components anchoring our max payload.

You want the sum of the rear tires max load rating to equal or exceed the rear axle rating OR to equal or exceed the sum of the stock tires.

Otherwise your max payload could be less than stock.

That said, I’m not certain that the axles or the tires are the lowest rated component that anchors our max payload.
Soop, appreciate it man. Had the ebay seller arguing with me on GAWR when I wanted to return the tires I ordered (in person since they're not too far away) and I wanted to make sure my understanding was correct since the rear axle will be loaded differently than the front. Also depending on scenario, at any given point in time loading can be different when off roading as well. 121 index tires deflated for off road use will be well under the axle GAWR ratings.

I ended up ordering Toyo open country MTs, they have a load index of 125 (~3600lb per tire) to match with rear axle GAWR.

Back