Gas Fuel Tank

The 60gal diesel tank is $1800 and they sell plenty of those. $2k seems in line if its around 60gal, especially since it would be the ONLY option on the market.

The 60gal diesel tank is $1800 and they sell plenty of those. $2k seems in line if its around 60gal, especially since it would be the ONLY option on the market.

Yeah, it's in-line if they get closer to 60gal...If the best they are able to do is 45 gallons, I'm not sure I'll bite. Unfortunately, I might after I continue to get tired of stopping at gas stations all the time, but damn, I could buy 3 5gal jugs for under a $100 and have 15gal rather than spend 2k to get 11gal.

I got an email from Transfer Flow a week ago.
Anyone have any thoughts on the $2k estimated cost?
That will be one of my first major upgrades. I'm contacting the lady on the email provided to try and move the process forward. I would be doing the install myself.

I went ahead and got a 38 gal transfer tank DOT rated for gasoline. I will use this until something better comes out, it can be used for basically any fuel, diesel, gas, etc so if I want to sell it later or use for something else it will have value. Price was only $440 with free shipping, no tax. Will have to put some sort of pump to transfer into the truck but there are alot of options for this. Here is link of what I got:

https://leonardaccessories.com/prod...nks-square-and-rectangle-by-ati?sku=ATI-TTR38

I'm all in for a larger gas tank on the 7.3. Just remember, more gas = more weight = less mpg, so it all evens out. At this point i'll be happy with anything from 48 - 60 gallons. 50 would be perfect.

A bigger tank sounds great, but my wife and daughter make me pull over so they can pee before our gas tank in near empty, so I have plenty of opportunity to keep the tank topped off. :ROFLMAO:

A bigger tank sounds great, but my wife and daughter make me pull over so they can pee before our gas tank in near empty, so I have plenty of opportunity to keep the tank topped off. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah same here. I just wanted a little more freedom on where I am stopping while hauling a 33ft camper. Have had a few times when I had to squeeze the rig into some small gas stations and almost got into an accident trying to reach the pump. Would rather wait until a truck stop or bigger station and they dont always line up when I need to fill up. We are planning a long trip out west soon and should make things less stressful. With the transfer tank I just need to find some place off the road big enough I can get turned around and top it off in 5-10min. Plus I can take advantage of lower fuel prices when I come across them. Should be handy to fill up small engines too, like atvs, lawnmowers, and generators, etc.

I'm all in for a larger gas tank on the 7.3. Just remember, more gas = more weight = less mpg, so it all evens out. At this point i'll be happy with anything from 48 - 60 gallons. 50 would be perfect.
I really don't think it all evens out. With 21 additional gallons, taking a 60 gallon example, the total weight of the additional fuel is about 126 pounds while the unladen boost could be as high as 315 miles - with a reasonable towing increase up to 178 miles.

The benefit so grossly outweighs the cost that it's not even worth considering as a counter-point.

I really don't think it all evens out. With 21 additional gallons, taking a 60 gallon example, the total weight of the additional fuel is about 126 pounds while the unladen boost could be as high as 315 miles - with a reasonable towing increase up to 178 miles.

The benefit so grossly outweighs the cost that it's not even worth considering as a counter-point.

Whew. Thank you for saying something. When I first read that my gut was "this is like saying every additional passenger lowers your range by a hundred miles" but I wasn't sure what I was missing on my math.

You are correct. Totally over exaggerating. Does not even out but was just making a point more fuel takes up more payload. Just that there are a lot of people on several threads concerned about their towing payloads but at the same time complaining about the tank size. I am one of them. I like to tow but I do not like the small gas tank on these short bed SD's. But i am with you, I'd much rather have the larger tank. If its 60 gallons, i can still limit how much gas i want to put in. It's not like im going to go 600 miles without taking a break. I would like 300-350 miles and that is cutting it close on these gas tanks when hauling a heavy load....especially out west.

My 42gal ati transfer tank finally showed up after a month and it fits perfect under the tonneau cover with the gpi ez-8 pump on top so this should work fine. Prob gonna set it up so I can take in and out as needed. Will wire up quick connect to upfitter and hook up a grounding strap then strap it down good to the tie downs. Here is the one I wound up getting, it all was under $800 with the ez-8 pump.

https://leonardaccessories.com/prod...nks-square-and-rectangle-by-ati?sku=ATI-TTR42

20210429_130030.jpg

My 42gal ati transfer tank finally showed up after a month and it fits perfect under the tonneau cover with the gpi ez-8 pump on top so this should work fine. Prob gonna set it up so I can take in and out as needed. Will wire up quick connect to upfitter and hook up a grounding strap then strap it down good to the tie downs. Here is the one I wound up getting, it all was under $800 with the ez-8 pump.

https://leonardaccessories.com/prod...nks-square-and-rectangle-by-ati?sku=ATI-TTR42

View attachment 23228
More pics pls!!!

It states that we have 34 gallon tanks, however, I drove my truck down to 34 miles left and the truck only took 30 gallons… Is there a built-in reserve?

It states that we have 34 gallon tanks, however, I drove my truck down to 34 miles left and the truck only took 30 gallons… Is there a built-in reserve?
As far as I know all remotely modern vehicles maintain a built-in reserve. Empty on the gauge is never truly empty.

View attachment 23228
Definitely post some pics of your install, please! Definitely got my interests peaked.

More pics pls!!!

Well I screwed up by dry fitting the pump on the tank to check the clearance... The aluminum threads seized and are damaged now, crazy as I just barely tightened it on there by hand. Fortunately I got it off without destroying anything but the threads are going to need to be cleaned up, they are tapered so shouldnt be a big deal. For anyone else attempting this type of setup put anti seize on the threads before your even attempt to put the pump on!

Anyway it will be a couple of days before I get this done now as ATI was nice enough offer to ship a tap to me to fix it. Here is a better pic showing the clearance, no hose on it yet, the handle goes in a cradle by the pump. I may stand it off the front of the bed to get some more clearance for the pump to spin around, its at an angle in the pic.

20210429_130038.jpg

Well I screwed up by dry fitting the pump on the tank to check the clearance... The aluminum threads seized and are damaged now, crazy as I just barely tightened it on there by hand. Fortunately I got it off without destroying anything but the threads are going to need to be cleaned up, they are tapered so shouldnt be a big deal. For anyone else attempting this type of setup put anti seize on the threads before your even attempt to put the pump on!

Anyway it will be a couple of days before I get this done now as ATI was nice enough offer to ship a tap to me to fix it. Here is a better pic showing the clearance, no hose on it yet, the handle goes in a cradle by the pump. I may stand it off the front of the bed to get some more clearance for the pump to spin around, its at an angle in the pic.

View attachment 23245
That's a bummer. Do you have the whole tank bolted to the bed? Do you have a hard top tonneau bed cover?

That's a bummer. Do you have the whole tank bolted to the bed? Do you have a hard top tonneau bed cover?

No I'm not going to bolt it down but if you dont mind drilling a hole in the bed that is the best way to do it...will most likely use a strap or a piece of angle with turnbuckles on the tiedowns. Will need a grounding strap/wire as well doing it this way. I am going to rig up some good way to take it in and out as I only need this for long distance camping trips (when I get 8mpg lol) or if I'm going to my off grid cabin with a generator...part of me wants it for a shtf scenario as well ? ? The cover is a soft trifold, but if you have a hard cover it might work as well, if you have a spray in liner you prob get another inch of clearance too as mine is a drop in.

Well 34 miles at 15 mpg is over 2 gallons, plus about 2 reserve so yea that fits.

Reactions: ccw
Back