Garmin 890RV

The wife and I RV 6-7 months a year. One of us drives the other navigates. We normally use an app on the phone called CoPilot gps. Has offline maps, bridge and tunnel warnings regarding propane, height restrictions, and toll avoidance if desired. It is customizable for the dimensions of your specific RV. We have also used apple maps, Google maps, etc. and will be trying Waze and Maps.me this coming Fall/Winter/Spring. Never have we needed a dedicated RV specific GPS. Even in no cell signal areas the app CoPilot gps works well since it uses the GPS in the iPhone and stores the maps in the phone.
If you love your Garmin great! But it is definitely not needed and offers almost nothing that your phone/iPad can't handle.

The wife and I RV 6-7 months a year. One of us drives the other navigates. We normally use an app on the phone called CoPilot gps. Has offline maps, bridge and tunnel warnings regarding propane, height restrictions, and toll avoidance if desired. It is customizable for the dimensions of your specific RV. We have also used apple maps, Google maps, etc. and will be trying Waze and Maps.me this coming Fall/Winter/Spring. Never have we needed a dedicated RV specific GPS. Even in no cell signal areas the app CoPilot gps works well since it uses the GPS in the iPhone and stores the maps in the phone.
If you love your Garmin great! But it is definitely not needed and offers almost nothing that your phone/iPad can't handle.
That is a pretty good deal at $30/yr. I wanted something on a larger screen and, from what I understood at the time, this doesn't integrate with Carplay/Android auto. So the choices were to either pay several hundred bucks for one of the integration solutions to use the 12" screen, buy a new tablet since the ones I have a horrendously out of date and slow, or just buy the stand alone Garmin unit. Having had/used other Garmin products I knew what to expect regarding the interface and hopefully it is not worse than I remember. No debate though if you have an ipad already or don't mind using your phone this is a good route to take (pun intended) :p

Here is my final mounting solution.... Dual ram arms on both sides so that I can keep my phone and the Garmin 890 relatively low. Just pulled the trailer up north and used the Garmin and it worked great. Really no complaints with it. Pretty much knew where we were going but wanted to try out the interface, etc.

PXL_20221022_170953669.jpg

I did wedge a small piece of rubber under both mounts since they will move slightly with bumps, etc:

PXL_20221022_175351187.jpg

This frees up both adjustable cup holders vs using one for the phone mount. I will probably wire in power under the Builtright at some point...

Here is my final mounting solution.... Dual ram arms on both sides so that I can keep my phone and the Garmin 890 relatively low. Just pulled the trailer up north and used the Garmin and it worked great. Really no complaints with it. Pretty much knew where we were going but wanted to try out the interface, etc.

View attachment 62930

I did wedge a small piece of rubber under both mounts since they will move slightly with bumps, etc:

View attachment 62931

This frees up both adjustable cup holders vs using one for the phone mount. I will probably wire in power under the Builtright at some point...

Maybe I missed it, but what RAM mounts are you using to adapt to the Garmin mount?

My Garmin came with a 1" ball as one of the mounting choices so nothing further was needed to use the Ram receivers.

My Garmin came with a 1" ball as one of the mounting choices so nothing further was needed to use the Ram receivers.
Well, that took me longer than it should have to figure out. Lol. I have that too.

Well, that took me longer than it should have to figure out. Lol. I have that too.
I realize life in northern Wi is a bit slower pace so I will cut you a break. Of course I empathize being a Mich Tech grad and previous Wi resident!! :p

I have the Garmin 890 in my last 2 rigs. My wife likes google maps, followed her directions 1 time right to a 8' 6" tunnel with a 13'6" 5th wheel!
I used the Garmin mount right to the dash tray in front of the speaker. Install is easy as you can pull the tray and do the mount on the bench and re install it. Ran the wiring to the passenger sidewall upfitter #1. Simple and easy to grab for my wife now that she has seen the light.

Attachments

• 20221203_145152.jpg
    20221203_145152.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221203_145220.jpg
    20221203_145220.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 52
I have the Garmin 890 in my last 2 rigs. My wife likes google maps, followed her directions 1 time right to a 8' 6" tunnel with a 13'6" 5th wheel!
I used the Garmin mount right to the dash tray in front of the speaker. Install is easy as you can pull the tray and do the mount on the bench and re install it. Ran the wiring to the passenger sidewall upfitter #1. Simple and easy to grab for my wife now that she has seen the light.
Did you use the provided screws and attach mount directly to the liner tray? If so, does it hold it without falling forward?

Did you use the provided screws and attach mount directly to the liner tray? If so, does it hold it without falling forward?
Yes factory screws work

Back