Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Current Ride
2021 F350 6.7 Tremor Lithium Gray
First Responder
Retired LEO
All my Brothers and Sisters who like to travel pulling a camper-

I scooped up a Garmin 890 RV gps off Amazon after a buddy told me how impressed he was with his. I am deciding on mount options and ordered the Builtright dash mounting bracket.
The 890 is a pretty cool GPS. We plan on doing some pretty extensive travel out west with our travel trailer this summer and thought it would be handy. I am open to any thoughts or suggestions on clean looking mounting suggestions.

Here is pretty decent review of what the 890 offers. I follow Sean and Kristy on YouTube - pretty cool RVing couple.??

Attachments

• 86609EFB-0E28-4616-8B18-A004806F0057.jpeg
    86609EFB-0E28-4616-8B18-A004806F0057.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 115
  • F8CAD979-27D9-435E-A28F-A954EE367DCF.jpeg
    F8CAD979-27D9-435E-A28F-A954EE367DCF.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 55
I was just looking at it this morning. I see it has an accessory camera (the BC35). I wonder if there was any chance that you knew if it will work with the BC30 as I already have the camera mounted to my camper from my previous Garmin GPS.

Just thought it may mention compatibility in the manual.

I was just looking at it this morning. I see it has an accessory camera (the BC35). I wonder if there was any chance that you knew if it will work with the BC30 as I already have the camera mounted to my camper from my previous Garmin GPS.

Just thought it may mention compatibility in the manual.
@hedge Hey Brother,
I just checked the manual and did not see anything about the backup cam accessory. The manual is a quick start 7 pages only.
It suggests to check this site - support.Garmin.com for more detailed info. I hope it works out for you. ????

What's wrong with the GPS in your truck?
The one in my 16 F150 works fine. I assume
that a 5 year newer one would be even better.

What's wrong with the GPS in your truck?
The one in my 16 F150 works fine. I assume
that a 5 year newer one would be even better.
Watch the video the 890 is geared toward Travel Trailers, RVing and camping. Many more useable features the truck gps does not have. 👍🏻

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the BuiltRight Dash Piece and some parts from RAM Mounts. I’m not running anything like that in the truck but I’ve used RAM mounts for other things (kayaks, GoPro, etc) and they are pretty nice.

I was going to suggest the BuiltRight Dash Piece and some parts from RAM Mounts. I’m not running anything like that in the truck but I’ve used RAM mounts for other things (kayaks, GoPro, etc) and they are pretty nice.
@Bill, I have looked at this built right set up and am still thinking about the direction I want to go. I did order the Builtright dash mount. Thanks Bill! ????

C9D22E26-55E3-4CB6-9F7F-AD128EB5A247.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed the Built Right Mount with support bracket (under dash) today and I’m please. The power supply I ordered from Amazon was a tad too big so I had to shave it down some (should have shaved a bit more but still happy.
I got the mount for the 7” Furrion screen for the Toy Hauler.
Connected power to 12v cigarette lighter from behind the dash panels as it is ignition on powered but also wanted the on/off switch in the dash for when not utilizing the camera system. Positive wire ram from installed power supply to green/brown wire behind cigarette lighter. Negative wire ran to mounting bolt just under mount.
Ordering another mount for the TST Truck TPMS system today. Will go with a magnetic mount and probably a small X-grip - just haven’t researched yet.
Here are my supplies if anyone was looking for help (as I was before installing).

Built Right
https://builtrightind.com/pages/product-result?rq=yr_2021~mk_ford~md_super-duty

The remaining off of Amazon
Ram Mount items:
Ram Mount Ball Adaptor AMPS Plate size B
Marine Double Socket Swivel Arm
Ram X-Grip Large Phone Holder with Ball

Power Supply:
Meipire Car/RV/Boat/Yacht Universal Tent 4.2A Car Mobile Charger USB Set 4.2A Dual USB with LED Switch and 12V Output (3Hole).

A91410D5-8A77-4ABA-9EF7-02067EC94932.jpeg
E35D502D-55E4-47A6-A058-8B7F8C3B13AF.jpeg
1A93767C-3CAE-414B-B27F-2CA86B476BA1.jpeg

Looks awesome. I picked up the 1090RV and was looking for a way to mount it.

Short horror story.
the culprit… my brand new 2019 DRW w/1500 miles on the clock. I am to blame too.
I was traveling from Philly to NH loaded with a 12’8”total height truck camper. The truck guided me to the SAW CREEK Parkway in NY. Little did I know that in a couple miles ahead there was a 8’ clearance bridge. Kudos to Ford with the turbo braking. I have a Garmin Overlander now and love it.

I’m now firmly in the realm of travel trailers and am seriously considering a Garmin RV GPS unit. I’m testing out the RV Life app now to see how it’s GPS routing does. It works in conjunction with RV Trip Wizard to pull the trips you build in and give RV specific routings …. It’s easy but I can’t see it beating Garmin.

I’ve stepped up my dash mount setup since my earlier post with some parts from 67 Designs and added some power up top as well.

EF0B4DA5-A879-4415-875C-FE9098D8AFAC.jpeg

More pictures can be found in my build thread, along with the specific parts I used.
Post in thread 'The “Yeti” Build, aka “Whitey Ford”'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/the-“yeti”-build-aka-“whitey-ford”.4615/post-98954

Garmin's UI sucks. They rush products out without hardly any beta testing, at least by humans. You can't import GPX files without a Supreme Court ruling and/or a boatload of hassle. Yes, I'm still furious at having blown $500 on a top-of-the-line model 10 years ago.

Garmin has always been at the forefront of GPS technology, and I would love to have a Garmin for my RV too. If you're wondering between the Garmi 890 and 1090 like I am, this is for you: The Garmi 890 has a smaller screen size (7.87 4.82 0.79 inches) and is lighter. That's why it's about $200 more affordable. But for the Garmi 1090, you will experience an impressive 10-inch 1280800 pixel IPS display. It includes a custom RV routing system that considers the weight and dimensions of the motorhome to analyze and recommend the best possible RV route. In short, choosing between the Garmin RV 890 and RV 1090 depends on whether you prefer a smaller device or a GPS navigation device with a larger screen.
I'm leaning toward the 1090.

Short horror story.
the culprit… my brand new 2019 DRW w/1500 miles on the clock. I am to blame too.
I was traveling from Philly to NH loaded with a 12’8”total height truck camper. The truck guided me to the SAW CREEK Parkway in NY. Little did I know that in a couple miles ahead there was a 8’ clearance bridge. Kudos to Ford with the turbo braking. I have a Garmin Overlander now and love it.
Similar story last summer using GoogleMaps navigation to Kanawha State Forest near Charleston WVA. Turned left and 50 yards ahead is a 9'ish train overpass. Traveling with another couple/camper. Luckily there was a McDonalds right there which we pulled into and asked for another route. Turns out the next intersection up went over the tracks instead of under. Have been contemplating a dedicated RV GPS ever since. Now that we have a larger trailer (and we're full time RVers) it's a must.

I have the 890RV and it worked great for my two-week 4200+ mile camping trip to Yellowstone over the summer. As others have said, you put in the details of your truck and trailer size so the GPS routes you down roads that work for your setup.

I have the BuiltRight dash mount, along with the 67 Designs carbon fiber arms for my GPS and phone. Everything is powered under the mount, so the Garmin and phone connect with their respective magnets for charging very easily.

Garmin's UI sucks. They rush products out without hardly any beta testing, at least by humans. You can't import GPX files without a Supreme Court ruling and/or a boatload of hassle. Yes, I'm still furious at having blown $500 on a top-of-the-line model 10 years ago.
Agreed. Can't stand anything Garmin. From heart rate monitors, to watches, to GPS devices they're all junk. If my built in nav isn't cutting it I'm sure there's a phone app that works better. Never had an issue with towing and needing a different GPS but I guess my toy hauler is only 27'.

Anyone have pics of what a 1090 looks like mounted on the dash?

My plan is to keep the Ford screen available for keeping the rear camera on my trailer up all the time.

Anyone have pics of what a 1090 looks like mounted on the dash?

My plan is to keep the Ford screen available for keeping the rear camera on my trailer up all the time.
I went with the 890. I used some existing/older tablets I had to replicate the size of both the 890 and 1090 when mounted in the truck. Initially the extra screen size of the 1090 was appealing to me, but determined it was too large to mount efficiently. I did not want to mount above the dash, instead having it "tuck" to either the driver or pass side next to the factory screen. The size of the 890 fits the requirement nicely. I just received mine and have not mounted it yet, though - still need to purchase/install the Builtright mount...

Edit: I have a 22MY with the 12" screen

UGH - it was on sale for the longest time for $100 off. I hesitated pulling the trigger and missed the price break. Hopefully they will have the price reduction again before my RV arrives!

UGH - it was on sale for the longest time for $100 off. I hesitated pulling the trigger and missed the price break. Hopefully they will have the price reduction again before my RV arrives!
That is why I bought it now, even though I don't have the RV yet! I couldn't resist the $100 off.

Back