FX4 vs Tremor

beastmode

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Ford F150
In the process of narrowing down a Super Duty. As much as I would like to get the Tremor package I'm limited by funds. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money up front to get the diesel and then a year from now upgrade the stock suspension + wheels and tires. How does the FX4 suspension compare to the Tremor? If I don't go with the diesel then a 7.3l + Tremor package is possible. Do you think the Tremor parts will be available in the future to purchase seperately?

Beastmode, First question I would ask you is do you really need the diesel? Keep in mind that diesels have way higher maintenance costs. The costs of fuel, DEF and the 13-14 quarts oil changes add up the expenses real quick. If the 7.3 Tremor has the capability to do what you require then I would suggest to go that way. Initially it checks more boxes out the door. To me the FX4 package is just skid plates and a sticker. There have been many complaints in the past about the Rancho shocks on them. There are many suspension items on the market that are comparable or better than the stock ford parts.

Big decision, just have to balance the needs and wants with the checkbook. Good luck in your decision.

First response is pretty well said. Diesel makes gobs of power IF you need it. Yes the fuel mileage is better but it costs more. If your consistently needing it then by all means spend the 10k and get it. As far as the tremor package it’s a toss up honestly. For the cost of 4K you are essentially getting different shocks,front limited slip , and a slightly higher height than a 17-19. I like my truck a lot but it’s by no means a raptor setup. I could have made my own version a lot cheaper but generally from the factory is a little more durable for long term use.

Don’t forget to include the Tremor’s electric rear locker, rock crawling drive mode and OEM painted fender flares.

Though I seriously doubt I will ever use the locker or rock sliders on the Tremor like I do on my Rubicon. The Tremor weighs too much and has too big a footprint to go seriously off-roading. It seems the bigger the vehicle the more stuff breaks or buries itself deeper.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to include the Tremor’s electric rear locker, rock crawling drive mode and OEM painted fender flares.

Though I seriously doubt I will ever use the locker or rock sliders on the Tremor like I do on my Rubicon. The Tremor weighs too much and has too big a footprint to go seriously off-roading. It seems the bigger the vehicle the more stuff breaks or buries itself deeper.
The electric rear locker is on a lot of the trucks. My 15 f150 had it. Can easily be had on a non tremor. The running boards are by no means rock sliders. Just less drop for more clearance.

The electric rear locker is on a lot of the trucks. My 15 f150 had it. Can easily be had on a non tremor. The running boards are by no means rock sliders. Just less drop for more clearance.

While my 2 cents. The 7.3 I have about 300 miles on now is very capable. Still testing but was cruising flatter in better weather today than my first run and managed 16 mpg (US) unladen @ 60 mph, cruise control, shift algorithm ECO, for many miles. Traveled local large grades my last truck (my 2015 F150 5.0 with 3.73.1) would downshift to 5th, the Tremor today on same grade didn't wince and stayed in 10th at 1450 rpm (55 mph stretch of road). I would bet unless your doing 6-8 horse stall trailers with sleepers or over 35 foot trailers or 5 wheels weekly you will not be wanting. The diesel getting better mpg? I wonder in 80% of driving situations with the accumulative penalty $$ for upkeep the costs are more than a 1-2 mpg advantage means plus the $8800.0 option upgrade over the 7.3 (More if financed).

SO as an example for beastmode:
F250 XLT (cost conscience)
adding FX4 and Elec locker = ~$800
Tremor package $3975 (minus the above items for comparison) = $3175
Therefore IF you compare FX4 with locker to Tremor for the $3175 American you get:

35” Off-Road Tire – LT285/75R18
• 18” Low-Gloss Black Painted Wheel
• Unique Front Springs – Ride Height Increase
• Rear Electronic Locking Differential
• Front Limited Slip Differential
• Performance Front & Rear Shock Absorb (better quality than FX4)
Power Driver seat (8-Way) (XLT only)
• Off-Road Running Boards – Textured Matte Finish
Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank
• Unique Front Air Dams – Approach Angle Improvement
• Water Fording Vent Tubes – Transfer Case & Axle
• Rock Crawl Mode
• Trail Control Mode
• Tremor Off-Road Decal
• Spare – Conventional Road Wheel
• LT285/75R 18E BSW Spare Tire
• Wheel lip Molding – Body-Color
I tip my hat to anyone who can purchase, install, in a spotless environment, at computer assembly tolerances, all these items for the difference of $3175 including parts and labour.

haha I too have a dedicated Off Road scapel for river fishing and camping. It is a last model year 2014 Toyota FJ cruiser Trail Teams edition with the TRD exhaust and CAI. And YUP weight sucks in mud and off roading, wheelbase too. Funny story my Hummer H3T Alpha....... was awesome off roading with buddies using the FR and RR lockers. Doing a cliff trail with passenger side 200 ft drop off and densely forested we came to an impassable section (even tho I carry a chain saw). Damn truck was so long I had to back down a sheer drop off trail for 4 miles, Fookin nail biter. My buddies in FJ 40's and some Wranglers managed a 12 point turn to turn around on the trail. One FJ 40 rolled down the mountain, no causalities but it took two hours winching with two block and tackles to bring up the chassis. We left the top and crap (change, gum etc. :D) there. Damn thing coughed and started right up, those 70's FJs were awesome. Many beers by the campfire that night, good memories.

haha I too have a dedicated Off Road scapel for river fishing and camping. It is a last model year 2014 Toyota FJ cruiser Trail Teams edition with the TRD exhaust and CAI. And YUP weight sucks in mud and off roading, wheelbase too. Funny story my Hummer H3T Alpha....... was awesome off roading with buddies using the FR and RR lockers. Doing a cliff trail with passenger side 200 ft drop off and densely forested we came to an impassable section (even tho I carry a chain saw). Damn truck was so long I had to back down a sheer drop off trail for 4 miles, Fookin nail biter. My buddies in FJ 40's and some Wranglers managed a 12 point turn to turn around on the trail. One FJ 40 rolled down the mountain, no causalities but it took two hours winching with two block and tackles to bring up the chassis. We left the top and crap (change, gum etc. :D) there. Damn thing coughed and started right up, those 70's FJs were awesome. Many beers by the campfire that night, good memories.

I love the oil burners and have all of my life...starting with tractors and dozers. But after owning diesels for along time now it is time to go back to the dark side

I would not completely rule out a Tremor as a serious off-road vehicle. The biggest restriction is width in my opinion. We currently have a 4Runner TRD Offroad that will get into the tighter Jeep trails in Colorado that are too narrow for the Raptor. Last summer all the Jeeps were telling me not to attempt Tin Cup Pass in the Raptor, “No way that will make it up, it’s to wide and to heavy” At the top of the pass, everyone was offering me a beer. I think this truck will be just fine as long as you’re out in the open. Outside of Moab, never had much use for Rock Crawl Mode but love me some Baja. With the 7.3l and some HP upgrades, this would be a good desert runner.

If you really want to do some serious off-roading, this is what I’m thinking.
1578845720453.jpeg

Last edited:
Off Road is ALL about where you are headed....... Lots of trees and mountains in our off road areas close to home. I carry a chainsaw and seriously at many trails I needed to clear 4-6 trees to turn around with the H3T Alpha. Soft mud and muskeg here too means lower your weight or as soon as you spin you are axle deep. But hey to each their own. I Again, due to mud and muskeg here use two stroke performance motorbikes (I ran a KTM 300 XC-W). When buried two feet deep two men could still lift it out and drag to better ground on pine branches. Not uncommon for buggies like in your pick getting buried and I know of one expensive rig getting choppered out $$$. All depends where you are and where you are going :)

BigBill, I had the pleasure of being stationed with the Army for 7 years in Alaska. I can honestly say you haven’t buried a vehicle until you buried frame deep in the muskeg. Here in Idaho it is mainly unimproved roads and dirt trails if I am woodcutting or hunting. Save the more adventurous stuff for our Jeep.

Wow if you were stationed in Anchorage I am envious. We did a trip up there thru BC and the Yukon and man was it beautiful. People were great too. Seward was really cute little place, Altho this was 25 years ago haha.
Yup muskeg is NASTY and what people don't know is what really complicates extraction is suction. I had a 12000 pound winch and a block and tackle to 1/2 the speed and double the pull (cable limit). But when buried and settled (20 minute maybe) with the water coming in it was really bad.......... we even at times tried lifting a side only and placing tree branches under (HARD on the body work winching over the box and roll bars) to prevent the suction.

Don’t be too envious I spent my time in Fairbanks. We buried a SUSV (Dual boxed Snowcat) so deep we had to lift it out of the muskeg with a Chinook helicopter. Those days were for the young and dumb.

HaHa yah Fairbanks not so much :LOL:
Ugh a tracked Snowcat stuck......... guess the permafrost was out more than you thought. Would give a Chinook a reasonable load.

Off Road is ALL about where you are headed....... Lots of trees and mountains in our off road areas close to home. I carry a chainsaw and seriously at many trails I needed to clear 4-6 trees to turn around with the H3T Alpha. Soft mud and muskeg here too means lower your weight or as soon as you spin you are axle deep. But hey to each their own. I Again, due to mud and muskeg here use two stroke performance motorbikes (I ran a KTM 300 XC-W). When buried two feet deep two men could still lift it out and drag to better ground on pine branches. Not uncommon for buggies like in your pick getting buried and I know of one expensive rig getting choppered out $$$. All depends where you are and where you are going :)
Agreed, Big Bill. I go to Arizona during mud season here in Colorado. I was up in the Troublesome Wilderness during Elk season this year and had a warm day after several days of snow, wind and single digits. Toped the crest of Gunsight Pass and at 5 mph l put my Raptor in the ditch. Busted the rim and bent the axel, luckily I was able to get down to Parschall before it went flat. I honestly hate mud, and ours gets slick as owl snot.

Abnmp, drove a lot of those unimproved roads and trails in Idaho when I was working in SLC. Enjoyed City of Rocks area and the West Tetons. Really enjoyed the area but wish I could have spent more time in the north part of the state.

@beastmode do you tow much? Half the miles I put on my truck are spent towing over mountain passes, so I went with the diesel. However, the 7.3 seems pretty badass.

I have the FX4 package and hill descent control on my current truck. It’s ok on rough forest service roads, but that’s about it. I’m hoping the Tremor I ordered is as advertised. I don’t need more than what it offers.

I also thought about piecing together a leveling kit and wheels/tires, but couldn’t really get it under $4,000 with installation.

In the process of narrowing down a Super Duty. As much as I would like to get the Tremor package I'm limited by funds. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money up front to get the diesel and then a year from now upgrade the stock suspension + wheels and tires. How does the FX4 suspension compare to the Tremor? If I don't go with the diesel then a 7.3l + Tremor package is possible. Do you think the Tremor parts will be available in the future to purchase seperately?

If funds are an issue I'd get a gas truck instead of the diesel especially if you aren't towing very much. Diesel maintenance costs are something to consider. That way you can get the Tremor package if that's what you're after. What you can't replicate easily in the aftermarket is the engine/trans programming for the rock crawl mode and the skid plates. No one makes skid plating for these trucks that i'm aware of. Skid plates come on the FX4 package as well. The front LSD can be added in the aftermarket. A good suspension system can be added in the aftermarket. Obviously wheels and tires are abundant. A rear locker can be had from the factory on the FX4. That being said, you'll spend more in the aftermarket to get what you can get from the factory in the tremor package. However, you can spread that cost over months to years.

Ryan

Thank you for all of your input. It was very helpful! After much thought I am going to stick with the Tremor package and the 7.3l motor. I don't plan on towing that much and I absolutely love the sound of the a big V8. Now I'm weighing what other options are a must have.

Yeah that 7.3 sounds awesome. Should be a durable motor with the way they’ve tuned it.

@beast mode > I quite like my 7.3 gasser with the ten speed, good combo. Altho I am a bit concerned on mileage. I have a best highway of 16.22 mpg (US gallon) and combined city / highway of 11.5 mpg (70% city). A jump from my 15 F150 5.0 with 3.73:1 rear of 30%. But..... more mass = more energy needed, bigger frontal area too. Not sure what the diesel boys are getting unloaded. My towing less than 8000# so this is plenty stout for my needs.
@Whyte Rhyno sure you can do it later BUT having modified many trucks it is vitaly important that you have a top shelf shop. Setting up the gear mesh on the ring and pinion, routing of air lines or electrical lines for the locker, cost of duplication can really screw you over $$$$. Buying $1850 worth of wheels and tires to replace a complete set with 10K miles is crazy (duplication). Sure you can sell em 4 how much?? Break downs on my modified vs. my factory rigs was 3x worse. Sometimes saving $3000 now to spend $5000 later for worse reliability is ludicrous. That being said do NOT over extend yourself financially. Stack up some green backs over a year patiently then pull the trigger for your exact needs later.

Back