Fuel Filter Upgrade

Bill_D

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021F250 6.7L
Has anyone here done the H&S Motorsports fuel filter conversion? I've seen a bunch of stuff floating around the internet about peoples trucks starting on fire and the plastic junk breaking off, flooding the engine bay with raw fuel to start thinking about it. I'm not sure if it would void the warranty in any way. I can't imagine it would, but who knows these days.

It seems like the only negative to this option is that you would still have to purchase the set of fuel filters and throw half the parts away. Then also buy an additional filter for this unit. But, the advantages (not having your truck start on fire) seem to outweigh the disadvantage. I'm also not sure what the factory micron rating is, but this unit could allow you to get down to 2 micron and save some stress on the injectors.

https://hs-motorsports.com/collecti...l-filter-conversion-kit?variant=7149513801785
1613739349010.png

The only part you throw away is the Disposable Filter. I think the Baldwin replacement filter in around $15.00..(??).. I have one for my 19' F450. Excellent product.

Has anyone here done the H&S Motorsports fuel filter conversion? I've seen a bunch of stuff floating around the internet about peoples trucks starting on fire and the plastic junk breaking off, flooding the engine bay with raw fuel to start thinking about it. I'm not sure if it would void the warranty in any way. I can't imagine it would, but who knows these days.

It seems like the only negative to this option is that you would still have to purchase the set of fuel filters and throw half the parts away. Then also buy an additional filter for this unit. But, the advantages (not having your truck start on fire) seem to outweigh the disadvantage. I'm also not sure what the factory micron rating is, but this unit could allow you to get down to 2 micron and save some stress on the injectors.
Here is a YouTube university clip on install....a few mistakes made to learn from during his install. This guy is obviously out of his 3/36 warranty so warranty, but not the 100k diesel warranty. I do like the concept. This filter change will eventually be cheaper than the $50 OEM filter after recouping the cost of the mod. @Bill_D l feel pretty sure it would impact a warranty claim. Also it appears snipping the main fuel line from the tank is required. This line if you have to replace is not expensive, like $150, the labor to replace is crazy expensive should you need to go back to OEM as it is one direct line from the tank, so I have read. Not at all nay saying this mod, but their are a few things I would need to think about before moving forward.

@stufarmer thanks for the feedback, so zero issues with your install?

Last edited:
I definitely would love to do this mod. Only concern would be the ford warranty, if cp4.2 pump went south, would ford deny your warranty?
Also, how does the fuel pressure compare vs the stock set up?

I have none. It's a cleaner and safer filter. It doesn't change the performance or emissions. It doesn't change the way the Engine receives its Fuel. The Fuel Pressure or Volume isn't changed. I see it no different than using a different Brand Air or Oil Filter. Ford would have to prove it altered the Fuel delivery if there were a claim.

I have none. It's a cleaner and safer filter. It doesn't change the performance or emissions. It doesn't change the way the Engine receives its Fuel. The Fuel Pressure or Volume isn't changed. I see it no different than using a different Brand Air or Oil Filter. Ford would have to prove it altered the Fuel delivery if there were a claim.
That’s good to know. ?? The only area I would be concerned about is IF any connections on this MOD had a castastropic failure and resulted in a fire. Naturally if this happens with the OEM filter Ford is likely on the hook and so is your insurance company to make you whole again.
After market products installed by owners can be met with serious push back IF the product fails resulting in damage hence the full disclosure. Again, I think it’s a worthy mod of consideration, I don’t think Ford or insurance would pony up IF there was an issue. That said, likely hundreds of these in use without an issue. And I do like the design.
The last lawyer line - “Use at Your Own Risk” causes me to cautiously pause.
Just another view point.

FABAB4DD-63A2-43D1-A06E-8B931FFD2E73.png

Last edited:
This is my take on this! We have 6 trucks sitting here waiting on complete fuel systems, been down for like 2/3 mths maybe Big Time BACKORDER! If i owned a 6.7 which i don't for several reason's, i would not modify anything at all on the engine side of things until the warranty is out. That takes out all questions of it being a warranty claim or not. Just my opinion but i deal with Ford and warranties everyday. We have seen claims get denied for lots of things so i wouldn't. That being said 99% of our pump failures are due to bad fuel or DEF contamination. The wives love to put DEF in the fuel tanks around here. LOL Then at that point your insurance picks up the tab almost every time.

https://hs-motorsports.com/collecti...l-filter-conversion-kit?variant=7149513801785
View attachment 17601
I’ve done it.

Attachments

• 4A3123F6-5229-4672-A1EA-4469EDD8E63D.jpeg
    4A3123F6-5229-4672-A1EA-4469EDD8E63D.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 133
This is my take on this! We have 6 trucks sitting here waiting on complete fuel systems, been down for like 2/3 mths maybe Big Time BACKORDER! If i owned a 6.7 which i don't for several reason's, i would not modify anything at all on the engine side of things until the warranty is out. That takes out all questions of it being a warranty claim or not. Just my opinion but i deal with Ford and warranties everyday. We have seen claims get denied for lots of things so i wouldn't. That being said 99% of our pump failures are due to bad fuel or DEF contamination. The wives love to put DEF in the fuel tanks around here. LOL Then at that point your insurance picks up the tab almost every time.
Well said @Fordseniormaster. Your feedback is always respected and appreciated Brother! ????

That's where I always get stuck... There seems like a lot of ups and downs with this particular mod. I believe that this mod would improve both the safety of the vehicle and the health of the engine by filter performance improvement. I don't really believe there is any downside other than possible warranty denials. But the cost of anything fuel system related without warranty is prohibitive.

That's where I always get stuck... There seems like a lot of ups and downs with this particular mod. I believe that this mod would improve both the safety of the vehicle and the health of the engine by filter performance improvement. I don't really believe there is any downside other than possible warranty denials. But the cost of anything fuel system related without warranty is prohibitive.
@Bill_D
I agree with ya Bill. Its likely a better fuel filter system and easier and a bit cheaper over the long haul.
Not to derail this thread, I am shopping a Flood extended warranty or Ziegler extended warranty and comparing notes. Decisions, decisions.

This part stands out, coming from a @Fordseniormaster tech "If i owned a 6.7 which i don't for several reason's, i would not modify anything at all on the engine side of things until the warranty is out". Part of me says he's describing a time bomb.:unsure:

Last edited:
@Bill_D
I agree with ya Bill. Its likely a better fuel filter system and easier and a bit cheaper over the long haul.
Not to derail this thread, I am shopping a Flood extended warranty or Ziegler extended warranty and comparing notes. Decisions, decisions.
I bought the extended bumper to bumper because of all the electronics. ?‍♂️ And the dealer I bought from supplied a 1 million mile powertrain warranty.

This part stands out, coming from a @Fordseniormaster tech "If i owned a 6.7 which i don't for several reason's, i would not modify anything at all on the engine side of things until the warranty is out. Part of me says he's describing a time bomb.:unsure:
I'm not saying anything is wrong with the 6.7 at all please don't take my comments the wrong way we all have our own opinion's on stuff. I couldn't justify the extra $10k up front and the added cost of fuel and maint. I work on the diesels everyday and that alone probably steers me away more than anything. I do advise my customers to not modify a diesel until its out of warranty. There is no reason to they make plenty of power no need to put anything between you and the warranty aspect of it. I have been with Ford since 1990 and i've seen all the diesels thur the years. Ford makes the best trucks on the market period, the EPA has put a heavy hand on the back of the diesels forsure, i just like the gassers more for me and for what i use the truck for, my bass boat doesn't qualify for a diesel. LOL ! So hopefully i didn't put any doubt or concerns in anybody's head over the 6.7, if so it wasn't meant to at all.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the 6.7 at all please don't take my comments the wrong way we all have our own opinion's on stuff. I couldn't justify the extra $10k up front and the added cost of fuel and maint. I work on the diesels everyday and that alone probably steers me away more than anything. I do advise my customers to not modify a diesel until its out of warranty. There is no reason to they make plenty of power no need to put anything between you and the warranty aspect of it. I have been with Ford since 1990 and i've seen all the diesels thur the years. Ford makes the best trucks on the market period, the EPA has put a heavy hand on the back of the diesels forsure, i just like the gassers more for me and for what i use the truck for, my bass boat doesn't qualify for a diesel. LOL ! So hopefully i didn't put any doubt or concerns in anybody's head over the 6.7, if so it wasn't meant to at all.
Thanks, great answer!/reply (y)

For anyone doing this mod and getting the HSM kit.

I can confirm that Baldwin BF46228 fits the HSM upper kit and offers superior filtration compared to the BF7967 at 4 microns absolute vs 4 microns nominal 15 microns absolute. The BF46228 is just a little longer maybe half an inch.

Also If you do the HSM lower kit.

I can also confirm the Donaldson P553203 which is a superior filter at 3 microns absolute instead of 10-15 like the cat filters works with the HSM lower. You can also install P569758 bowl so you can see the fuel and if there’s any water that needs drained.

The 3 micron rating is better than the upper stock filter at 4 microns.

Back