Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
I've been scanning the web for info on the front differential, but it seems there is not much info on the front diff for the 2020's. Does anyone have part numbers for Detroit Lockers or ARB's for the front end? I felt the front limited slip did a good job in the slop on muddy roads, but it didn't lock hard on climbs out of creek beds and on tire lifting rock gardens.

Ed

I've been scanning the web for info on the front differential, but it seems there is not much info on the front diff for the 2020's. Does anyone have part numbers for Detroit Lockers or ARB's for the front end? I felt the front limited slip did a good job in the slop on muddy roads, but it didn't lock hard on climbs out of creek beds and on tire lifting rock gardens.

Ed
One of the TFL guys mentioned the front diff in a video, don’t remember which one, said it was a Dana. Made it sound like it had been around awhile.

Probably the same dana 60 that's been in there forever. Probably has a re-branded eaton truetrack LSD in there. I'll peek at the stamping the next time i'm under there. The model designation is usually stamped on the pumpkin.

There should be some options it's a Dana Super 60. I would not want to be the test guy for aftermarket lockers for the 2020, but the guts should be the same.

I have looked at a lot of different sites but not been able to confirm.

Has anybody heard for sure which type of limited slip is used up front on the tremor?

Ed
I can't complain about a Dana limited slip differential front end. Dana makes well known and respected differentials.

I believe its an open diff that uses the vehicle's brakes on the slipping wheel so it can send the power to the wheel with traction.

I believe its an open diff that uses the vehicle's brakes on the slipping wheel so it can send the power to the wheel with traction.
It definitely has a Dana LSD front diff. The wheel brake locking thing you are referring to is part of the Traction Control system which you can turn off with a push button above the Sync monitor. It does work well with the limited slip diff but it is not a part of the differential.

It definitely has a Dana LSD front diff. The wheel brake locking thing you are referring to is part of the Traction Control system which you can turn off with a push button above the Sync monitor. It does work well with the limited slip diff but it is not a part of the differential.
Good info to know, thanks for the clarification. I didn't think it was part of the differntial just work in conjunction with it to achieve its limited slip.

The Dana limited Slip Differential will work without the Traction Control System and vice versa. They do not rely on each other. They are completely separate systems. One does not require the other to work.

Ed
Is this what you are looking for sir? Has anyone installed this yet and what is your opinion?

Is this what you are looking for sir? Has anyone installed this yet and what is your opinion?

I hate the lag time on the factory thats a tempting option

This is the front axle (open) in my 2020 F-350 - XLT 7.3L gas

Ford Dana 60 (unlike the Dana 60 of yore) with Ford logo on the cover

35 spline axle shafts

short reverse open diff

ring gear diameter: 10 in.

28 spline pinion

I'm not sure, but a True Trac torque biasing, gear driven limited slip fits the Dana 60 front diff with 35 spline axles.

They are transparent in delivering traction to the wheels with the most traction, not the least like clutch type limited slips, and go to full lock across if detecting no difference in side to side in resistance. Great on the front axle. My Dodge RAM Cummins has them on both ends.

Last edited:
Like I was saying,now there are alot of Tremor owners out there lets see a test of the front diff performance compared to the FX4 option.

Like I was saying,now there are alot of Tremor owners out there lets see a test of the front diff performance compared to the FX4 option.
only real way to test that is if they are side by side .... since you can just turn off the limited slip in the front

CC2F89F5-4E8A-4102-973F-A9AF41471E2A.jpeg

All Ford says is front limited slip

Though I love me a selectable locker I wouldn’t run on on a SD unless It was a 95% or more off-road rig and though the SD does well off road to me it’s more of fire road/dez overlander. It doesn’t fit in tight trails which is most mountain stuff and it’s too dang expensive to beat up squeezing into tight spaces. So the locker just doesn’t seem practical for it’s use case as the LS with behave better on the road and in snow conditions.
My plan is after the used car market goes back to a sane level is to buy a Cherokee or grand Cherokee (they are cheaper these days) and build that as my off-road family rig. I had a TJ but it was just too small to pack the family in and all my supplies. Something cheap I can’t hit a rock or a tree and not cry also a metric crap ton less electronics to go wrong on the trail.
Sorry rant over ?. I plan to take my tremor on some trips for sure but it won’t be anything requiring a front locker. If it does that’s where the good ol tow strap comes in lol.

Back