Front bumper, ranch hand anyone?

Antimatterbluetremor

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Jeep
Looking to add a stout bumper on the tremor. There are some big deer and elk here in Montana that seem to get hit pretty regularly. Anyone have any pics of their setup? Preferably with a winch cutout. Ranch hand makes one that looks good but is super heavy.

Looking to add a stout bumper on the tremor. There are some big deer and elk here in Montana that seem to get hit pretty regularly. Anyone have any pics of their setup? Preferably with a winch cutout. Ranch hand makes one that looks good but is super heavy.
I would have to find it but there are a few guys with ranch hand bumpers on there tremor ... Try using the search to see if you can find it ... Will try to find it my self

I have had Ranch Hand on alot of vehicles and always had great things to say about them. I have always wanted a TKD one out of Moore,MT but never seen them outside of Montana. I always thought TKD was geared more towards hitting animals and forcing them downward instead of up, a Ranch Hand is mostly always been straight up and down. If I lived in Montana like you do I would have to Try the TKD.

Put a Ranch Hand on mine, fits well and very stout.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 534
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 536
I've always felt Buck-stop Bumpers were the ones to envy. They're engineered with the Adaptive Cruise Control Modual and they're Crash Tested. If they're good enough for Earth Roamer Campers and as Fire Departments Brush Trucks, they'll do anything I ask of them. Made in Oregon, one at a time.

I've always felt Buck-stop Bumpers were the ones to envy. They're engineered with the Adaptive Cruise Control Modual and they're Crash Tested.
Where did you see that they're crash tested? I've dug around their site but haven't seen any reference to crash testing. Could have missed it.

That's my biggest concern with getting an aftermarket bumper: sacrificing safety in a high impact accident, and I haven't found an North American aftermarket bumper yet that advertises crash testing.

Where did you see that they're crash tested? I've dug around their site but haven't seen any reference to crash testing. Could have missed it.

That's my biggest concern with getting an aftermarket bumper: sacrificing safety in a high impact accident, and I haven't found an North American aftermarket bumper yet that advertises crash testing.
It's been awhile, I believe it's in the part where they talking about the Bumpers engineering. One of the reasons so many State and Government agencies use them. ARB is another crash tested Bumper. It's the sole reason I used ARB on my Jeep Wranger. My biggest concern about an Aftermarket Bumper is .. how, or will it affect the Air Bag Deployment. Not so much about it's crashworthiness. Aftermarket Bumpers can sometimes do more harm than good, because they don't Absorb energy.

@Antimatterbluetremor
Where are you in Montana? I just bought a ranch up there outside of Lewistown and am trying to get the wife to move there full time.

Anyway, I have a Buckstop on a ranch 2006 Ram 2500 and have hit an elk and a couple of deer. Not a scratch on the truck but I can’t say the same for the animals. They have a nice winch mount and are incredibly stout. I haven’t had experience with other aftermarket bumpers, and I’m sure they are all good in one way or another, but I can personally vouch for the buckstop as one heck of a bumper.

It's been awhile, I believe it's in the part where they talking about the Bumpers engineering. One of the reasons so many State and Government agencies use them. ARB is another crash tested Bumper. It's the sole reason I used ARB on my Jeep Wranger. My biggest concern about an Aftermarket Bumper is .. how, or will it affect the Air Bag Deployment. Not so much about it's crashworthiness. Aftermarket Bumpers can sometimes do more harm than good, because they don't Absorb energy.
Just to follow-up on this. I reached out to Buckstop and asked whether their bumpers are crash tested, since I couldn't find it anywhere on their site. They are not crash tested. Doesn't mean they're a bad product by any means, just something to consider.

I also reached out to Warn and their bumpers also aren't crash tested.

@Antimatterbluetremor
Where are you in Montana? I just bought a ranch up there outside of Lewistown and am trying to get the wife to move there full time.

Anyway, I have a Buckstop on a ranch 2006 Ram 2500 and have hit an elk and a couple of deer. Not a scratch on the truck but I can’t say the same for the animals. They have a nice winch mount and are incredibly stout. I haven’t had experience with other aftermarket bumpers, and I’m sure they are all good in one way or another, but I can personally vouch for the buckstop as one heck of a bumper.
Im in Miles City, southeast side.

Just to follow-up on this. I reached out to Buckstop and asked whether their bumpers are crash tested, since I couldn't find it anywhere on their site. They are not crash tested. Doesn't mean they're a bad product by any means, just something to consider.

I also reached out to Warn and their bumpers also aren't crash tested.
I was in a crash 2 years ago in my 2010 F150, with only a ranch hand grill guard. It saved me. Someone pulled out in front of me and I broadsided them going 60. I walked away. The grill guard took all the impact. All the bad damage was kept forward of the cabin. I will always have a Ranch Hand bumper on all my trucks.
20190304_125837.jpg

I was in a crash 2 years ago in my 2010 F150, with only a ranch hand grill guard. It saved me. Someone pulled out in front of me and I broadsided them going 60. I walked away. The grill guard took all the impact. All the bad damage was kept forward of the cabin. I will always have a Ranch Hand bumper on all my trucks. View attachment 24720
Glad you walked away from it! That’s super scary.

I guess when I see that picture I don’t know whether you walked away because of the grille guard or in spite of it. I’m not an automotive or crash engineer, and obviously it’s a single picture.

There could be more crush zone(s) in the front end that weren’t utilized because of the grill guard (without protruding into the cab), or maybe not. Modern air bags and seat belts also do a lot of heavy lifting.

On the other hand, it looks like the brunt of the impact may have been on the front corner, potentially creating a small frontal overlap situation, which that generation of F-150 could have handled poorly (allowed protrusion into the cabin). In that case the grill guard preventing crushing and deflecting the impacted vehicle would be a great thing.

Without crash testing in a controlled environment and rigorous analysis after the fact, it’s tough to say for sure either way.

Worth noting that I reached out to Ranch Hand and asked about crash testing at the same time I reached out to Buckstop and Warn. I’ll update this thread if/when I hear back, though I suspect the answer is also “no”.

Glad you walked away from it! That’s super scary.

I guess when I see that picture I don’t know whether you walked away because of the grille guard or in spite of it. I’m not an automotive or crash engineer, and obviously it’s a single picture.

There could be more crush zone(s) in the front end that weren’t utilized because of the grill guard (without protruding into the cab), or maybe not. Modern air bags and seat belts also do a lot of heavy lifting.

On the other hand, it looks like the brunt of the impact may have been on the front corner, potentially creating a small frontal overlap situation, which that generation of F-150 could have handled poorly (allowed protrusion into the cabin). In that case the grill guard preventing crushing and deflecting the impacted vehicle would be a great thing.

Without crash testing in a controlled environment and rigorous analysis after the fact, it’s tough to say for sure either way.

Worth noting that I reached out to Ranch Hand and asked about crash testing at the same time I reached out to Buckstop and Warn. I’ll update this thread if/when I hear back, though I suspect the answer is also “no”.
It was a full frontal impact. The grill guard took the majority of the force, and when it finally bent back into the front of the truck was when the other damage started to occur. I have attached more pics
20190304_130427.jpg
20190301_084514.jpg
20190301_084521.jpg

Back