FordPass

So, blazer, unless you opt for the data sharing you're not automatically enrolled?

Thanks to you and plethora for the heavy lifting.
I guess I'll take my piddling savings. :giggle:

Agreed. Been over this in other threads as well. I take privacy very seriously and this doesn't raise my level of concern because you HAVE to opt IN. If you don't want it turn it off. It's that simple. Until someone provides data showing that Ford willfully went against their own privacy policy I'll be one of the first to denounce them.

The last time this came up I offered up the Ford address to express concerns over privacy and the thread went silent. People would rather cry to each other here that the sky is falling then take all that energy and put it to good use by simply asking Ford. Still waiting on that one....

For anyone else here you go:

HOW TO CONTACT US

If you have a privacy concern, complaint, or a question for Ford, please contact us at:
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Telephone
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the hearing impaired)
You opt in when you add Ford pass and tracking to your phone. This is how they track you vehicle. They can’t do so without your permission. Signing up for Ford pass is telling Ford you give your permission to Ford to track your vehicle and driving habits. Once they have that they can do whatever they want with the info.
It’s that simple.
And yes you contact Ford to opt out.

I am opting out.

So, blazer, unless you opt for the data sharing you're not automatically enrolled?

No you are not automatically enrolled. You need to opt in by signing up and downloading the Ford pass app. This gives your permission to Ford to track you.
That’s why they can’t add points until you download and sign up on Ford pass.

You opt in when you add Ford pass and tracking to your phone. This is how they track you vehicle. They can’t do so without your permission. Signing up for Ford pass is telling Ford you give your permission to Ford to track your vehicle and driving habits. Once they have that they can do whatever they want with the info.
It’s that simple.
And yes you contact Ford to opt out.

I am opting out.
Wrong:

PXL_20200929_203011253.jpg

Given how sensitive companies are now about surreptitious snooping and how much under the microscope they are it does makes sense that this isn't as nefarious as it first appears.

Then why do they know your truck location with the Ford pass app?
Believe what you want.

Or do they track that without your permission?
Can you not see the screen? You can turn it off if you want, stop insurance sharing data etc. It's really pretty self explanatory. Turn it off if you don't want it to have access it's that simple. If you don't agree that those options do anything then please feel free to call or write Ford at the above and let us know what they say. I've love to read it.

Can you not see the screen? You can turn it off if you want, stop insurance sharing data etc. It's really pretty self explanatory. Turn it off if you don't want it to have access it's that simple. If you don't agree that those options do anything then please feel free to call or write Ford at the above and let us know what they say. I've love to read it.
I can. If that makes you feel better great. I don’t give Ford permission to track anything. You’re just telling Ford not to send the information they have to insurance carriers.

I can. If that makes you feel better great. I don’t give Ford permission to track anything. You’re just telling Ford not to send the information they have to insurance carriers.
I'm perfectly ok with that at this time. That's not what you're saying at all. You're saying they track regardless. I'm saying you have a choice, which you do, which is clear in the privacy policy, and clear in the settings on the Truck. Do you want me to turn off location and show the app not being able to find the truck or are you going to say they are tracking anyway!?!?

I guess I'll take my piddling savings. :giggle:
yeah, that's not how I read it.

I'm not a lawyer but I manage 35 investment funds with an average size of $500M, each of which is governed my a 280+ page indenture using extremely dense legal verbiage that I partially negotiate complex investor stipulations prior to execution. As such, I feel qualified to read and understand Ford's privacy agreement.

My read is that they only "sell" or share your info with insurance companies if you actively shop for insurance thru the app and the policies you're choosing have this "feature". I.E., you have to actively opt in, at that time, and your agreement to the general privacy agreement is NOT the same as making your choices at the time of insurance shopping. It's really pretty clear to me.

They're what we share and how we share sections clearly exclude any selling of your driving habits with insurers unless you opt in at the time of buying the insurance.

A bunch of insurance companies already offer habit based policies in which they mail you and OBD plug that records this stuff. There's an affirmative consent here, not an implied consent based on blanket permissions in the privacy policy.

Again, no, you're not.

Agreed. Been over this in other threads as well. I take privacy very seriously and this doesn't raise my level of concern because you HAVE to opt IN. If you don't want it turn it off. It's that simple. Until someone provides data showing that Ford willfully went against their own privacy policy I'll be one of the first to denounce them.

The last time this came up I offered up the Ford address to express concerns over privacy and the thread went silent. People would rather cry to each other here that the sky is falling then take all that energy and put it to good use by simply asking Ford. Still waiting on that one....

For anyone else here you go:

HOW TO CONTACT US

If you have a privacy concern, complaint, or a question for Ford, please contact us at:
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Telephone
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the hearing impaired)
it's easy to misread this stuff, but sometimes people can't accept when they're wrong and would rather continue spready misinformation. Oh well.

The points are worth money, and with 100% certainty I know they're not sending anything to my insurer so I don't really care.

FWIW, insurers who offer the OBD plug in where they then adjust your rates based on the OBD data, most people get lower rates. I know a few people who did it with progressive when it became a thing. You plug the OBD thing in, leave it for I think a month or so, during which time you drive like Miss Daisy is in the back seat, send the info back, and your rates go down. This feature just eliminates the need for a physical obd plug, and only happens if you affirmatively opt in to the insurance specific sharing. #factsmatter

I set up the App and use it but my 75,000 points never showed up. April 2020 delivery. Now I am in for the Winch and want to use the cash. They say 30 days to get the points Well its been 11 months " come on man" :cool:

If Ford or anybody else wants to waste their time tracking me go for it. If I need to go off the grid I know how to do that.

I'm not worried about the limited data that ford collects. They can track you through your modem regardless if you pay for data or not. If you really want to be paranoid, then you need to buy a phone without data or bluetooth. The government or anybody can track you with those without your permission and without warrants. I haven't sat down to look at the data being pushed out of my truck, but I don't let them record my movements/trips/destinations/etc. The computers already have the other information and most data that is used is anonymized in their data lakes.

Then why do they know your truck location with the Ford pass app?
Believe what you want.

Or do they track that without your permission?
um, bc you opted in to location data on the app setting on your phone, so like the gps works via the app, or you can find your truck in a parking lot.

Same as when you download the facebook app, it asks for permission to your camera roll/gallery. It DOESN'T allow FB to scrape all your photos, rather it enables an ability for you to post a picture from your gallery to FB. Without that permission enabled, there's a wall between your gallery and FB. Apps need to know what permissions they have so they can function.

Similarly if you download zoom app it asks for permission to use your phone's microphone and camera, so you can like, make audio and video calls in the app.

Certainly there are sketchy spyware apps that ask for permissions that make no sense so the Chinese can steal your data...think a simple game where they want location permission and microphone permission. Why the hell would some simple swipe game need my microphone? In those cases, yes sketchy.

I'm perfectly ok with that at this time. That's not what you're saying at all. You're saying they track regardless. I'm saying you have a choice, which you do, which is clear in the privacy policy, and clear in the settings on the Truck. Do you want me to turn off location and show the app not being able to find the truck or are you going to say they are tracking anyway!?!?

Again, no, you're not.

it's easy to misread this stuff, but sometimes people can't accept when they're wrong and would rather continue spready misinformation. Oh well.

The points are worth money, and with 100% certainty I know they're not sending anything to my insurer so I don't really care.

FWIW, insurers who offer the OBD plug in where they then adjust your rates based on the OBD data, most people get lower rates. I know a few people who did it with progressive when it became a thing. You plug the OBD thing in, leave it for I think a month or so, during which time you drive like Miss Daisy is in the back seat, send the info back, and your rates go down. This feature just eliminates the need for a physical obd plug, and only happens if you affirmatively opt in to the insurance specific sharing. #factsmatter

um, bc you opted in to location data on the app setting on your phone, so like the gps works via the app, or you can find your truck in a parking lot.

Same as when you download the facebook app, it asks for permission to your camera roll/gallery. It DOESN'T allow FB to scrape all your photos, rather it enables an ability for you to post a picture from your gallery to FB. Without that permission enabled, there's a wall between your gallery and FB. Apps need to know what permissions they have so they can function.

Similarly if you download zoom app it asks for permission to use your phone's microphone and camera, so you can like, make audio and video calls in the app.

Certainly there are sketchy spyware apps that ask for permissions that make no sense so the Chinese can steal your data...think a simple game where they want location permission and microphone permission. Why the hell would some simple swipe game need my microphone? In those cases, yes sketchy.
I was going to comment individually, but I’ll save time. I trust Tob more than I trust either of you. Do as you please.
I’m sharing information that I received from a technical well connected source in Tob from svtp.

He posted this today. Haha.
First off, if I posted it, it's true.:)

Yes, the photos were before the stripes were applied. Of interest is that Ford used the temporary wheels/tires that the GT350R cars used to use when rolling down the line and adds the Cup2's/bird basket wheels in the mod shop. The paint blotched wheels and tires then go back to the line for reuse on the next HP cars to come down the line. Same thing happens to CFTP GT500's, albeit with a 20" Base wheel.

I was going to comment individually, but I’ll save time. I trust Tob more than I trust either of you. Do as you please.
I’m sharing information that I received from a technical well connected source in Tob from svtp.

He posted this today. Haha.

Ultimately anyone should do what they're comfortable with.

I'm just trying to give members information that's actually accurate. Being wrong in this case doesn't hurt you beyond losing gimmicky app features.

Don’t. It’s a data mining tracking scheme used to charge higher insurance premiums.
If this were true, I'd be fucked. After purchasing this truck my insurance dropped from $250/month to $176/month. That includes insurance on my motorcycle trailer, my GSXR1000, GSXR600, TZ-125, KTM 390, KTM 250 XCW, YZ-125, and my wife's Ford Edge. It will now go up another 10-20 bucks a year when I add my new KTM 300xc, and then once we purchase our 5er next year.

If this were true, I'd be fucked. After purchasing this truck my insurance dropped from $250/month to $176/month. That includes insurance on my motorcycle trailer, my GSXR1000, GSXR600, TZ-125, KTM 390, KTM 250 XCW, YZ-125, and my wife's Ford Edge. It will now go up another 10-20 bucks a year when I add my new KTM 300xc, and then once we purchase our 5er next year.
Nice on the drop. I hope you’re not saying your a top speed driver.

Ultimately anyone should do what they're comfortable with.

I'm just trying to give members information that's actually accurate. Being wrong in this case doesn't hurt you beyond losing gimmicky app features.
I’ve seen Tob’s info and analytics of Ford and their systems including plant info. I trust he knows what’s up. Why create a massive infrastructure to track a take of your points/plus app all for the sole reason to give 3 oil changes? Ford is doing this for your info.

Back