Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Took an update for the FordPass app today and noticed in the release notes a new feature called “Can I tow this?”. Turns out Ford’s added a towing and payload calculator to the app, and the vehicle values in it are specific to the VIN!

Can’t say the UI design is particularly great, but it is functional. They also use the low end of tongue/pin weight, with no option to set a manual percentage. They use 10% for conventional and 15% for both gooseneck and fifth wheel.

I do like that they have a page for definitions and instructions. Helps walk people through it.

To get to it in the app, go to Vehicle -> Features and Settings -> Can I tow this?

1638038642502.png

1638038667449.png

I think it needs some further development. Maybe this is a pre-beta version?? Hahaha

I put in passenger, cargo, trailer info, etc and I still have ~15kGCWR remaining. Seems as though it forgot the weight of the truck itself!

Screenshot_20211127-140517~2.png

Is this right? I weigh 245lbs. It says I can only put 2550lbs in the bed for a F250 tremor.

Last edited:
Is this right? I weigh 245lbs. It says I can only put 2550lbs in the bed for a F250 tremor.

That sounds about right? My payload sticker is 2874# (which does not factor in weight of driver/passengers.)

The default setting on this calculator is to factor in 300# for driver/passenger. So my default payload in this calculator should be 2574#.

However, this calculator is astonishingly buggy and starts my available payload at 1174# even though it says my GVWR is 22000# 😂

The default setting on this calculator is to factor in 300# for driver/passenger. So my default payload in this calculator should be 2574#.
Heads up that while they show 300 as placeholder text, at least in my app, it was not accounting for that 300 in the numbers above. When I put in 100 pounds for passenger weight, the available payload went down by 100 pounds, not up by 200.

Certainly seems plausible. The way to know for sure is to look at the yellow sticker in your truck's door jamb. That will tell you, from the factory, how much payload your truck is rated for. It will look something like this (this is from my truck, a 350 gasser):

f83e8d3b-43e4-4b91-b3b7-d86ae6e105aa-jpeg.36167

That available capacity includes full fluids (fuel, etc), but nothing else. From there take off your weight and you'll know how much room you have for literally anything else - modifications, other people, cargo, tongue weight, etc.

I guess I just thought there was a higher payload than there is for the tremor.
Yep, payload gets chewed up quickly. Also highly variable depending on how much you optioned your truck. If you got a fully loaded Platinum you'll have notably less payload (many hundreds of pounds) than a base Lariat.

Also depends on whether you opted for a GVWR derate.

FWIW this isn't a problem strictly with Tremors, but with all trucks.

That sounds about right? My payload sticker is 2874# (which does not factor in weight of driver/passengers.)

However, this calculator is astonishingly buggy and starts my available payload at 1174# even though it says my GVWR is 22000# 😂

Are you sure you and your passenger aren't the new HD version too? :LOL:

Damn, I got all happy because I have been trying to find this for several days now and appears it was taken down from Fords Fleet site. I just opened my app and it's not there. iOS App store indicates a new version 4days ago for "Temporary removal of "Can I tow This?" feature to support product improvements. :LOL:

Damn, I got all happy because I have been trying to find this for several days now and appears it was taken down from Fords Fleet site. I just opened my app and it's not there. iOS App store indicates a new version 4days ago for "Temporary removal of "Can I tow This?" feature to support product improvements. :LOL:
Dammit!!!

Latest Discussions

Back