Ford Flood Mode to prevent dry starts post oil change

• Thread starter TremorGuest6137
  • Start date
So just hold the gas pedal down while starting and let go after a few seconds?

I feel like this is some kind of TikTok Challenge trick…
So I tried it and there are two options based on starting mechanism.

1. Push button start as show in the video - power off, hold both pedals, push button and allow cranking... then release the gas pedal which as you release triggers the start

2. Key start - engine and key in off position, push gas pedal to floor, turn key to start and allow cranking, then as you release the gas pedal it triggers the start.

No TikTok China data mining, just Ford Tech

@Tremor375 Ha. I saw your screen name and thought….hmmmm I wonder if this dude was…. Lol yep. I was in 2nd Batt. RLTW
DIG!! That's awesome! Yeah once a Batt Boy always a Batt Boy I guess ha. Was in from 99-05 active then contracted till 08. Put myself through college then worked in corporate risk management for 5 years running evacs and personnel recovery... and then decided to fully change careers for more family stability. Now I'm a GC doing Heavy Civil, Industrial, Commercial construction.

How about you?

DIG!! That's awesome! Yeah once a Batt Boy always a Batt Boy I guess ha. Was in from 99-05 active then contracted till 08. Put myself through college then worked in corporate risk management for 5 years running evacs and personnel recovery... and then decided to fully change careers for more family stability. Now I'm a GC doing Heavy Civil, Industrial, Commercial construction.

How about you?
Awesome! Yeah, I got out the end of 02 and also contracted until 08. Wife wanted to start a family so I couldn’t “play” anymore. I’m a house husband now! 😝

So I tried it and there are two options based on starting mechanism.

1. Push button start as show in the video - power off, hold both pedals, push button and allow cranking... then release the gas pedal which as you release triggers the start

2. Key start - engine and key in off position, push gas pedal to floor, turn key to start and allow cranking, then as you release the gas pedal it triggers the start.

No TikTok China data mining, just Ford Tech

Problem is, it’s hard to do this when you use the remote start feature lol

I put oil into the filter before I screw it on. Yes, you've drained the oil out of the engine but the oil is still stuck to all the components the same as it would be if you hadn't drain the oil. I guess I don't understand the need to pre-prime it.

He's right...It works
I get it, it works. Educate me on why you need to do it. Oil naturally sticks to the components even if you drain the oil pan. It's not like draining the oil pan magically sucks all the oil off of everything. If you pre-prime your filter, why would you need to do it? The oil is already stuck on everything from the last time you shut it down. It's not like the engine sat for months or years since the last time you started it. I'm being serious. I don't understand.

I get it, it works. Educate me on why you need to do it. Oil naturally sticks to the components even if you drain the oil pan. It's not like draining the oil pan magically sucks all the oil off of everything. If you pre-prime your filter, why would you need to do it? The oil is already stuck on everything from the last time you shut it down. It's not like the engine sat for months or years since the last time you started it. I'm being serious. I don't understand.
https://www.cpperformance.com/products/Oil/engine-pre-lube.htm

I'm all for taking care of things but if it was that important the manufacturer would include it as OE. I get that the manufacturer only cares that it makes it through the warranty period and they don't want to spend any more money on things that don't directly benefit them, so that's why they don't do it. With the quality of today's lubricants and how far technology has come with regards to manufacturing and metallurgy, I think we're talking about something that in the long run doesn't matter because most of us won't keep the car long enough to ever have to worry about the engine wearing out. Proper maintenance intervals is the key.

I'm all for taking care of things but if it was that important the manufacturer would include it as OE. I get that the manufacturer only cares that it makes it through the warranty period and they don't want to spend any more money on things that don't directly benefit them, so that's why they don't do it. With the quality of today's lubricants and how far technology has come with regards to manufacturing and metallurgy, I think we're talking about something that in the long run doesn't matter because most of us won't keep the car long enough to ever have to worry about the engine wearing out. Proper maintenance intervals is the key.

The why seems to be:
  • “80% of all engine wear occurs at startup. The longer it has been since an engine was last started the greater potential for wear!
  • Pre-Lubricating any engine before it is started will decrease or eliminate the overall wear normally associated with the "dry starting" of an engine, thus extending engine life.”
Whether that matters in any practical way is besides the point. But if it does, and holding your gas pedal down for a few seconds side steps 80% of the wear on your engine, why the hell not?

Back