TheJ2020

Tremor Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 7.3L King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2022 Expedition Max Limited Stealth Performance
I'm debating between ordering the factory cover (since it's only a $1,695 add on) and is apparently a rebrand of the retrax pro cover, whereas it's listed for a lot more on retrax's website. My question is for those who have the factory version. Does it come with the T slots? Is it a rebrand of the retrax Mx or Xr? Ford's website picture shows the tracks in one photo, but not in the others.

I'm debating between ordering the factory cover (since it's only a $1,695 add on) and is apparently a rebrand of the retrax pro cover, whereas it's listed for a lot more on retrax's website. My question is for those who have the factory version. Does it come with the T slots? Is it a rebrand of the retrax Mx or Xr? Ford's website picture shows the tracks in one photo, but not in the others.
Mine has the T slots from Ford. It's a Retrax but I don't know if it's Mx or Xr.

I am debating on this one vs the one that is prompted when you build.

Nearly half the price

I would recommend it. Keeps the bed completely dry, its already installed for you. It locks into any position as well as has a key. Ive stood on it (though I probably wouldnt again)
I installed Rhino racks for kayaks/bikes/etc. and it fit perfectly fine in the T slots.
And if it breaks or something is wrong with it, its under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Mine has the T slots from Ford. It's a Retrax but I don't know if it's Mx or Xr.
Awesome, thanks! That's what i was looking for!

I am debating on this one vs the one that is prompted when you build.

Nearly half the price

Yeah, i saw that one originally via youtube when i started looking into bed covers. I came across these guys showcasing one. FYI, i have no idea who they are and am not affiliated with them or anything.

Awesome, thanks! That's what i was looking for!

Yeah, i saw that one originally via youtube when i started looking into bed covers. I came across these guys showcasing one. FYI, i have no idea who they are and am not affiliated with them or anything.

Have you decided on one or still looking?

I ordered the factory retractable. My main reason was to have it included in the warranty. My dealer said it’s a Retrax but not Mx or Xr

I ordered the factory retractable. My main reason was to have it included in the warranty. My dealer said it’s a Retrax but not Mx or Xr
My concern with the retractable one is how well it works in colder climate. Based on the few videos I saw there doesn't appear to be much extra space. With that said I had issues with my current tri-fold as well so none of them will be ideal when the colder months come.

Have you decided on one or still looking?
Yeah, i wanted the retrax with the T slots, but wanted to make sure the factory one came with it. Going to add it to my order tomorrow.

My concern with the retractable one is how well it works in colder climate. Based on the few videos I saw there doesn't appear to be much extra space. With that said I had issues with my current tri-fold as well so none of them will be ideal when the colder months come.
Ya, depends where you live. I’m in California (Bay Area). Cold not a concern here. I have to deal with snow the few times a year I go to Tahoe but at the end of the day, is a tri fold gonna be any easier if it is frozen or covered in snow after a dump?

Ya, depends where you live. I’m in California (Bay Area). Cold not a concern here. I have to deal with snow the few times a year I go to Tahoe but at the end of the day, is a tri fold gonna be any easier if it is frozen or covered in snow after a dump?
I’ve owned a Bakflip Fibermax for the last 6 years on my F150 and am an avid skier, so can speak to how well it (a tri-fold) works in winter. Family is also from a place with proper winter and I drive home every winter for a couple weeks, so it gets a good test there, too.

In short: very well. The biggest problem I’ve had is the rubber seal along the tailgate freezing to the top of the tailgate preventing me from opening it. Quick pass with a pocket knife, dull side first, under the seal breaks it free quickly. The other seals can freeze up, too, but you have leverage on the cover to break those free.

Obviously need to clear off the snow before opening, but it doesn’t need to be impeccable. The leftover snow will just compress as the cover folds with no issues. In that regard it’s like literally any other cover (canopies included) since they all should be cleared of snow and ice before driving.

The odd time a large sheet of ice will form and that can be more of a pain to remove. Doesn’t hurt the cover, just prevents it from opening due to the weight and preventing folding.

The only problem I have with the Retrax is the amount of space the box takes up at the front of the bed. The one sold by Roll-n-Lock has a very small box but is not available with the rails. I went with the Truck Covers USA model because it has a small box and doesn’t use up much bed space at all and is available with the rails.

I just put this on yesterday.
part # VJC3Z 99501A42B

This one has the T slots and is the rebranded Retrax Pro XR.
So far it looks, fits, and works well.
Retrax offers a lifetime warranty, not sure about the Ford version. Put out an email to check. Will update if I hear anything.

Looks like it is covered by Ford for 3/36,000 and not Lifetime!

Attachments

• 57CD2A41-6028-48B3-AEDF-D08FA2DBCE76.png
    57CD2A41-6028-48B3-AEDF-D08FA2DBCE76.png
    668.2 KB · Views: 44
I stopped at a dealer today who had a 2021 Tremor on the lot. It had the Ford Retrax on it. It seemed like the panels were aluminum. It rolled very smooth and is something I am considering when I order.

I've got a retrax and live in the rockies. It worked just fine in the snow. sometimes there would be some buildup of snow/ice at the back, but nothing that would be considered an issue.

i ordered it on my 21 and it is the XR i believe, it has the t slots. i am in canada i have never had any issues from cold. it does not seal 100 percent perfect it can drip a little bit at the edges of the bed if its raining and the tracks aren't draining quickly enough. my buddy ordered one from the dealer after the fact as an accessory and he got the mx without the t slots. if you order with the truck you will get the newest version if you order as an accessory you can get old stock apparently.

Back