Ford Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

On older cars I never even considered purchasing an extended warranty. With these new vehicles I think it is a necessity. You're basically driving around a rolling computer. At approximately $3000 for 125,000 mile / 8 year coverage, that's a cost of $0.024 per mile of coverage or $375 a year. That's a hell of a lot of piece of mind when you consider a taillight is $1500 or a headlight is $2000.

Warranties are frustrating. In my experience, Ford works very hard to ensure they don’t pay for anything. I have 2 examples…
1) when it rains, moisture gets in my tailgate light, but the dealer said it’s “not under warranty because it dries out when it’s not raining”
2) my driver side window stopped rolling up. Dealer said ford wouldn’t cover it under warranty because the fix was to “reconnect the plug that had fallen loose in the door.” They said Ford only would cover it under warranty if a part was faulty, not if it rattled loose. This is frustrating because I had to pay the dealer $160 to reconnect the plug since it was considered not a warranty item even though it was clearly faulty workmanship from the factory assembly.

Ultimately, Ford warranties seem useless.

Warranties are frustrating. In my experience, Ford works very hard to ensure they don’t pay for anything. I have 2 examples…
1) when it rains, moisture gets in my tailgate light, but the dealer said it’s “not under warranty because it dries out when it’s not raining”
2) my driver side window stopped rolling up. Dealer said ford wouldn’t cover it under warranty because the fix was to “reconnect the plug that had fallen loose in the door.” They said Ford only would cover it under warranty if a part was faulty, not if it rattled loose. This is frustrating because I had to pay the dealer $160 to reconnect the plug since it was considered not a warranty item even though it was clearly faulty workmanship from the factory assembly.

You need to find a different dealer/service dept. They are screwing you over.

I just purchased a 2021 F-250 Lariat Tremor with Diesel engine. I'm considering purchasing either the Premium ESP (covers 1000+ components) at about half price by using a Ford dealership online. So for example an 8 year / 100K mile Premium ESP will cost $2,384 or 8 year 60K files for $1324.

What's driving me is that the 2006 Ford Explorer that I am replacing has ~125K miles on it and has had the transmission replaced 3 times. Once at 11K miles, again at 45K miles, and again at 100K miles. The last two times cost me out of pocket. Unfortunately there is a well known issue with this year transmission that Ford will not acknowledge or cover. So I am looking to avoid a similar scenario with the F250. This is my first F250 so I'm not familiar with their reliability history. Specifically the Diesel and 10 speed transmission.

Thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile investment? Any input is greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping the trunk for 10+ years.
I have a 2021 f350 Lariat Tremor Diesel and I purchase the extended bumper to bumper…I think it’s the 7/100k
Paid $2755…..I thought it was a no brained because it basically covers everything and it’s only a $50 deductible for me. Initially they wanted $3800 but I ended up getting it for a dollar over cost (supposedly , I don’t believe that) but it seemed reasonable considering the cost of any repair these days. Also, plan on keeping mine for a long time too.
Do it….,you’ll be glad you did if any electronics go or the drivetrain!!!
My 2 cents. Good luck!!

Seems to me your dealer is useless. I never would do that. I want to get paid off a warranty fix more than just an hour of labor.

I just purchased a 2021 F-250 Lariat Tremor with Diesel engine. I'm considering purchasing either the Premium ESP (covers 1000+ components) at about half price by using a Ford dealership online. So for example an 8 year / 100K mile Premium ESP will cost $2,384 or 8 year 60K files for $1324.

What's driving me is that the 2006 Ford Explorer that I am replacing has ~125K miles on it and has had the transmission replaced 3 times. Once at 11K miles, again at 45K miles, and again at 100K miles. The last two times cost me out of pocket. Unfortunately there is a well known issue with this year transmission that Ford will not acknowledge or cover. So I am looking to avoid a similar scenario with the F250. This is my first F250 so I'm not familiar with their reliability history. Specifically the Diesel and 10 speed transmission.

Thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile investment? Any input is greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping the trunk for 10+ years.
Your Fuel system alone cost 8 Grand to replace,,,,,,spend the money for the warranty....post COVID auto production across all brands has resulted in really bad quality control,,,and sub contractors supplying components.........

Get a new Dealer

My F150 developed a huge coolant link at the driver side Turbo at 54 months...I had the extended warranty. When the service advisor punched in all the parts and labor, his computer system flagged the entire cost (over 4000 dollars) as covered under the 5 year powertrain warranty and I didn't even have to pay a deductible!!! They had to disassemble the whole top of the engine and pull the turbo to fix it......it took 3 days. Ford is great.......dealers, well .....thats when I find a good one I stay there, even if the vehicle is a little more up front.

What are CA residents seeing for pricing with Premium Care warranty on a new Tremor?. My dealership quoted me a 6 year 125,000 rate of $4625.00 That seemed high so I passed and looked online and find out I can't go out of state for the warranty.

Where's the best place in CA to buy???

What are CA residents seeing for pricing with Premium Care warranty on a new Tremor?. My dealership quoted me a 6 year 125,000 rate of $4625.00 That seemed high so I passed and looked online and find out I can't go out of state for the warranty.

Where's the best place in CA to buy???

We got screwed on yet another thing here in this state. Fortunately I purchased before the change. The only thing I guess you can do is call various dealerships. I'm sure most will be taking advantage of the situation in terms of pricing. Using an out of state address is the most cost effective way.

Ran into this roadblock being in CA. Had a great experience with Troy @ FD Warranty. Prices through him were about 45% cheaper than what I was being quoted by dealership.

As StrokinOut said, just need an out of state address to provide. In my experience nothing was sent to that provided address.

Latest Discussions

Back