Ford Extended Warranty - Is it worth it?

robcal

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 Tremor
I just purchased a 2021 F-250 Lariat Tremor with Diesel engine. I'm considering purchasing either the Premium ESP (covers 1000+ components) at about half price by using a Ford dealership online. So for example an 8 year / 100K mile Premium ESP will cost $2,384 or 8 year 60K files for $1324.

What's driving me is that the 2006 Ford Explorer that I am replacing has ~125K miles on it and has had the transmission replaced 3 times. Once at 11K miles, again at 45K miles, and again at 100K miles. The last two times cost me out of pocket. Unfortunately there is a well known issue with this year transmission that Ford will not acknowledge or cover. So I am looking to avoid a similar scenario with the F250. This is my first F250 so I'm not familiar with their reliability history. Specifically the Diesel and 10 speed transmission.

Thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile investment? Any input is greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping the trunk for 10+ years.

Whoa cool - which dealer are you getting this warranty through? Most people here would recommend Flood Ford, who supposedly sells at $100 over cost, and your quotes seem to be $300 under Flood!

I went with Lombard Ford, i wanted a factory warranty and it was a fair price. I went with 100,000 mile 7 year, I’ll need a new truck at that point LOL.

What are the benefits or drawbacks to just waiting until the factory warranty is up to purchasing an extended warranty then? I've always skipped the extended warranty and have had good luck. (Well, except once with a Ford Explorer transmission that sounds similar to what was mentioned above but nothing like what I've experienced with GM transmissions.)

What are the benefits or drawbacks to just waiting until the factory warranty is up to purchasing an extended warranty then? I've always skipped the extended warranty and have had good luck. (Well, except once with a Ford Explorer transmission that sounds similar to what was mentioned above but nothing like what I've experienced with GM transmissions.)

The two biggest benefits are:

It's probably the cheapest it will be when you get it while vehicle is new.

You can easily add the warranty to your financing

Biggest drawback is you won't even use it until the 3 year / 36k miles has passed

And if you total the vehicle, it gets stolen, or whatever before the expiration of 3/36 you've figuratively just lit a match to $2K to $4K. Poof! Gone! No way that's coming back. Right?

Kind of like prepaying all or part of a lease term, not that I have any personal experience with leasing.

And if you total the vehicle, it gets stolen, or whatever before the expiration of 3/36 you've figuratively just lit a match to $2K to $4K. Poof! Gone! No way that's coming back. Right?

Kind of like prepaying all or part of a lease term, not that I have any personal experience with leasing.

I just purchased a 2021 F-250 Lariat Tremor with Diesel engine. I'm considering purchasing either the Premium ESP (covers 1000+ components) at about half price by using a Ford dealership online. So for example an 8 year / 100K mile Premium ESP will cost $2,384 or 8 year 60K files for $1324.

What's driving me is that the 2006 Ford Explorer that I am replacing has ~125K miles on it and has had the transmission replaced 3 times. Once at 11K miles, again at 45K miles, and again at 100K miles. The last two times cost me out of pocket. Unfortunately there is a well known issue with this year transmission that Ford will not acknowledge or cover. So I am looking to avoid a similar scenario with the F250. This is my first F250 so I'm not familiar with their reliability history. Specifically the Diesel and 10 speed transmission.

Thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile investment? Any input is greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping the trunk for 10+ years.
I was on the fence before truck came in, started following a few negative experiences here and went with a 7 year 75000 miles for $2130 through dealer. Never purchase these but will be retired in 3-5 years and will be on a fixed income . Plenty of extra income now, just a feel good. I will be getting a few extra key replacements ?

I was just looking at these and the difference between Extracare and Premium care is audio, emissions and safety. Safety seems like it would be things they will cover under a recall if there was an issue unless you actually did something break it and audio isn't really worth it after 3 years to me. With a gas truck, I'm not sure what emissions would really be a problem. I'm leaning toward the cheaper package here. Anyone have an argument the other way? Its $500 difference in price for the one I'm looking at.

I was on the fence before truck came in, started following a few negative experiences here and went with a 7 year 75000 miles for $2130 through dealer. Never purchase these but will be retired in 3-5 years and will be on a fixed income . Plenty of extra income now, just a feel good. I will be getting a few extra key replacements ?
you can get a keys for cheap and program them your self super easy

I'm torn on the extended warranty as well. I typically don't get extended warranties on anything I buy. But, I went with one on the Duramax I'm trading for my Tremor and it ended up being a good decision. I had lots of minor issues with the Duramax like motors for the power folding mirrors going out, a touchscreen radio display that died, sensor in the coolant tank and some other small, non-power train things. All this ended up being covered by my extended warranty and saved me money since I had it. I hadn't purchased one on either of my two new trucks prior to the Duramax. The law of averages would seem to suggest I shouldn't buy it on the Tremor and that I should quit while I'm ahead. But, like Marley said these are computers on wheels. So, I might end up doing it. I have another month or two to make up my mind.

I'm torn on the extended warranty as well. I typically don't get extended warranties on anything I buy. But, I went with one on the Duramax I'm trading for my Tremor and it ended up being a good decision. I had lots of minor issues with the Duramax like motors for the power folding mirrors going out, a touchscreen radio display that died, sensor in the coolant tank and some other small, non-power train things. All this ended up being covered by my extended warranty and saved me money since I had it. I hadn't purchased one on either of my two new trucks prior to the Duramax. The law of averages would seem to suggest I shouldn't buy it on the Tremor and that I should quit while I'm ahead. But, like Marley said these are computers on wheels. So, I might end up doing it. I have another month or two to make up my mind.
you can wait up to 35k or 35 months from purchase to get the extended warranty

Here’s another perspective:

I’m leaning on seeing how these trucks do during the factory warranty before buying something I may not need. I still have a week or two before I have to decide. ?

Good points. I’ll have to get some info from my dealer on the cost difference between buying now and waiting until I get close to 36,000 miles.

Here’s another perspective:

I’m leaning on seeing how these trucks do during the factory warranty before buying something I may not need. I still have a week or two before I have to decide. ?
This guy as obnoxious as he is is right.
My thoughts hold the 2-3 grand warranty dollars back and wait until your 3yr 36000 warranty is up. At 35900 or 3 yrs or which ever comes first buy the extended warranty.
The 6.7 has a 100k warranty. My dealer also included a 100k warranty on the power train to me as the original owner.
If you sleep better at night with a 150,000 7 yr warranty just buy it.

I will wait and use up the factory 3/36 first and then reevaluate as I will still have whats left of my 100k engine and power train warranty. Or maybe not?

Last edited:
Whoa cool - which dealer are you getting this warranty through? Most people here would recommend Flood Ford, who supposedly sells at $100 over cost, and your quotes seem to be $300 under Flood
The Dealer is Lombard Ford. I found them online. I’m attaching a screenshot of the premium care warranty prices for 8 years with $100 deductible. I should also include they sent me a discount code for $180 when I provided their website with my email address to send the quote to, which is reflected in the prices.

Attachments

• E5BBDA70-948D-4330-84A8-431D0FC5D84D.jpeg
    E5BBDA70-948D-4330-84A8-431D0FC5D84D.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 284
This guy as obnoxious as he is is right.
My thoughts hold the 2-3 grand warranty dollars back and wait until your 3yr 36000 warranty is up. At 35900 or 3 yrs or which ever comes first buy the extended warranty.
The 6.7 has a 100k warranty. My dealer also included a 100k warranty on the power train to me as the original owner.
If you sleep better at night with a 150,000 7 yr warranty just buy it.

I will wait and use up the factory 3/36 first and then reevaluate as I will still have whats left of my 100k engine and power train warranty.
I would argue this point a bit myself - Any upgrade you purchase at 35,900 miles - you run the risk of two things:

1. Price increases for the warranty cost as compared to 3 years earlier - ie., look at cost to manufacture - warranty pricing increases accordingly.

2. MOST people will forget until it's too late and they are in need of the coverage.

b (Thought of one more). They hold a grace period to decide whether or not to accept your purchase of ESP.

On an $80k rig - I thinK that an insurance policy of $335/yr (8yr/100k - $50 deductible) - Which also covers LEDs, bulbs, rental car ($60/day * 10 days) on day one for warranty work is worth the investment considering that 8 years is a long time and I've spent money on much worse things over the course of a year than $335.

Just my 2¢

Back