Ford “rail dust” issue

jlcichocki

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor Lariat with sport and ultimate (Iconic Silver)
I have purchased more than 25 cars/trucks in my life. My latest is a white 2019 F350 platinum. As soon as the Tremor came out, I was salivating and scheming on how to get out of my 2019 And into a Tremor. The Tremor purchase was slowed initially by the lack of inventory on dealer lots and COVID.

Around about 10 months into my F350 ownership, I noticed little orange dots all over my truck. It was the end of winter in Wisconsin and the start of COVID, so I sat on taking it into my dealer until I needed an oil change. When I inquired at the dealer, they said “oh, that looks like rail dust. We see that all the time”. Long story short, it was in fact diagnosed as rail dust. They sent me to the body shop. The body shop applied for a warranty claim. It was denied!! Apparently this issue (which is common) has a 12 month or 12,000 mile statue of limitation. I was inside of 12 months but had 17,000 miles on my truck. This denial pissed me off beyond words. Somewhere out there is a Ford customer service rep who endured my very angry rant. This intensified my desire to dump my F350. Shockingly, I’m still interested in purchasing another Ford. BTW, shame on Ford for not fixing a known problem.

They told me the rail dust issue is much more noticeable with white. So, now I’m paranoid that whatever color besides white, will have hidden rust dots all over. My current truck up close looks like a frickin’ Easter egg. I’d drive to KY and pick it up at the plant if I could. My question is: how do I make sure I don’t have this issue on a new truck?

Thank you for your assistance.

jeff

They all get that during shipment, The dealers should be able to prep it for delivery.

I always have my vehicles ceramic coated and the process requires a color correction and full clay bar treatment. If you have that done right away there should be no issues with the rail dust. I have noticed it on my FCA products also so its not just Ford.

Always a good idea to clay and coat a new vehicle due to exactly what you experienced. It all comes down to cost as higher end vehicles tend to get plastic wrap before transit. Ford has never seemed to be big on caring about paint whether it is orange peel, rail dust, foreign debris, paint runs, etc. The paint on my truck had a paint run and foreign debris under the paint but orange peel was not as bad as a typical Ford paint job.

I would argue the dealer failed to properly prep the vehicle so they should eat some of the cost.

Always a good idea to clay and coat a new vehicle due to exactly what you experienced. It all comes down to cost as higher end vehicles tend to get plastic wrap before transit. Ford has never seemed to be big on caring about paint whether it is orange peel, rail dust, foreign debris, paint runs, etc. The paint on my truck had a paint run and foreign debris under the paint but orange peel was not as bad as a typical Ford paint job.

I would argue the dealer failed to properly prep the vehicle so they should eat some of the cost.
I argue that the Ford paint is better than FCA but I guess thats not saying much

Sucks that this happens but on the upside they are not “rust” spots. The panels less the bumpers are aluminum and won’t have rust spots. ;)

I'm a freak about my paint, as soon as I got the truck I hit it with iron remover just to make sure.

They all get that during shipment, The dealers should be able to prep it for delivery.

I always have my vehicles ceramic coated and the process requires a color correction and full clay bar treatment. If you have that done right away there should be no issues with the rail dust. I have noticed it on my FCA products also so its not just Ford.
Papa, I’m in Burlington, WI. Who do you recommend for the ceramic coating?

FCA=?

thanks

FCA= Fiat Crysler Automobiles

jlcichocki, it's a shame that Ford did not honor the warranty to remedy your issue. You'd think with all the other COVID-related delays that they have experienced, themselves, they would be a bit more understanding....

Iv never heard this for new vehicles. Thats crazy!

Hate to say it any vehicle that is shipped by rail will do this. White and light colors are the most noticeable with this problem. Even after driving your vehicle (especially light colors again) in the rain for several years, you'll start to notice rust dots similar to rail dust (especially side/back) from the semi-metallic brake dust that vehicles use. The good news is that a quick detail (clay bar/cleaner wax) will remove them. Ceramic coatings will help stop this from happening do to them not allowing anything to stick to the vehicle. Most dealerships give you a half ass wash and a ton of tire dressing and out the door you go. With the significant investment with these trucks a good professional detail after you buy is a good investment.

I drove a White F150 for the past 7 years. The little brown specs show up in the paint from daily driving as well. Just get your truck detailed once a year and tell them to use a clay bar. You can clay bar yourself as well. I went away from White and got Magnetic on my Tremor partially because of this issue. Magnetic is also the best color IMHO, but it is discontinued for 2021.
20201006_183424.jpg

Hate to say it any vehicle that is shipped by rail will do this. White and light colors are the most noticeable with this problem. Even after driving your vehicle (especially light colors again) in the rain for several years, you'll start to notice rust dots similar to rail dust (especially side/back) from the semi-metallic brake dust that vehicles use. The good news is that a quick detail (clay bar/cleaner wax) will remove them. Ceramic coatings will help stop this from happening do to them not allowing anything to stick to the vehicle. Most dealerships give you a half ass wash and a ton of tire dressing and out the door you go. With the significant investment with these trucks a good professional detail after you buy is a good investment.
Grabber is correct on this. The term Rail Dust has been around for at least 30 years and is a possibility for any make and any model vehicle to get this. I was a Ford Service Manager back in the day when this first was an issue and Ford would cover the Acid bath to remove the rust on the surface for the first year. But the reason they dont cover it any longer is that these particles dont only come from the rails. As Grabber says even semi metallic brake particles and rust from vehicles, ie: exhaust, rotors, frames and body parts are all over the road. In my area of the Northeast we often see sparks flying from snow plow blades while driving in the winter. Just think about all of the metal that is spread across our roads everyday. So Rail Dust is a broad term and not entirely on the manufacturer. It comes from everywhere and not all vehicles do get it on them from the rails. So in IMHO it isnt really a Ford issue. Its our environment.

what is iron remover and where can I buy it? Thx
Its a detailing product, most companies make it but the only common store bought one is meguiars professional series which can be found at any autoparts store. It removes any iron particles on the paint with little effort, its the best way to removed the iron without using a clay bar which could scratch the paint.

Thanks for the great info. I guess I need to pay more attention to my vehicles and find a good detailer.

Papa, I’m in Burlington, WI. Who do you recommend for the ceramic coating?

FCA=?

thanks
My kid does it but moved out to Las Vegas last month, works in a fancy pants shop does the high roller cars. so sorry no connection right now. Just ask a lot of questions. The most expensive or cheaper shop may or may not be the best. You want someone to spend a lot of time on the color corrections and prep even though it's brand new paint.

Griot make s a product called iron and fallout remover. i've not used it but i've heard it works well

Latest Discussions

Back