For the diesel guys, a few quick questions on options

jhblaze1

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Agate Black 6.7 Tremor
Current Ride #2
Ducati Diavel 1260S
I'm dead set on a diesel and wondering about a few options. I live in SoCal where these options probably aren't needed but a move back to the North East is likely within a few years so...

1) Engine Block heater....how necessary is this? Where I live in SoCal in Jan/Feb it can get to 30 degrees in the winter in the morning at like 5-6am when I'm up. I doubt the block heater is really needed even at 30 degrees, but if I move back to the Boston area, would I really even need it there? It's only $100 so not a big deal but wondering how necessary it really is in cold weather.

2) Similarly, supplemental cab heater. Again, only $250 so small money but do these diesels really that that long to heat up? Again, mid winter it can be in the 30s hear for a few hours in the early morning.

We'd likely take the truck up to the mountains (mammoth etc) for winter skiing and stuff.

Lastly, if any of you diesel F350 guys (11500 gvwr) are in CA, how much more are the reg fees for being at 11500 lbs?

Ford guy here, if you are in an area that gets to -15 quick then a block heater may be for you, we order more sup cab heaters on our heavies and combined with the remote start is USUALLY all you will need. You'd be fine anywhere and with FORDPASS Connect you can schedule starts for when you are coming down off the mountain and want the cab warm.

I'm dead set on a diesel and wondering about a few options. I live in SoCal where these options probably aren't needed but a move back to the North East is likely within a few years so...

1) Engine Block heater....how necessary is this? Where I live in SoCal in Jan/Feb it can get to 30 degrees in the winter in the morning at like 5-6am when I'm up. I doubt the block heater is really needed even at 30 degrees, but if I move back to the Boston area, would I really even need it there? It's only $100 so not a big deal but wondering how necessary it really is in cold weather.

2) Similarly, supplemental cab heater. Again, only $250 so small money but do these diesels really that that long to heat up? Again, mid winter it can be in the 30s hear for a few hours in the early morning.

We'd likely take the truck up to the mountains (mammoth etc) for winter skiing and stuff.

Lastly, if any of you diesel F350 guys (11500 gvwr) are in CA, how much more are the reg fees for being at 11500 lbs?
Look....you want a block heater in cold weather (still not a requirement though), and I live in North Carolina and was sorry my truck did not have the supplemental cab heat.......also the Heated steering wheel is my favorite option I do have!!!

good info thx...will likely order anyway since it's pennies on an 80K truck but good to know they're not really needed.

Hey dude, I’m in SoCal and honestly, you don’t need #1 or #2. Even Mammoth won’t get cold enough. But like you said, small price so might as well add it.

I live in Colorado....never used the block heater except on my '99 back in the day.

Supplemental heat is nice to have.

I'm in Montana. We don't get into the single digits but every once in a while. I got both options. The block heater isn't "necessary" but the truck warms up quicker with it. Less idle time. Less fuel wasted. Cheap options to add at the factory. Pain in the ass to add after the fact. I love the cab heater. Warms up in there super fast. Get both.

Hey dude, I’m in SoCal and honestly, you don’t need #1 or #2. Even Mammoth won’t get cold enough. But like you said, small price so might as well add it.
that's what I'm thinking....plus the odds of a move back to New England are pretty high in 2 years or less. It gets cold enough there for the cab heater for sure but the block heater probably still wouldn't be truly necessary.

I'm in Montana. We don't get into the single digits but every once in a while. I got both options. The block heater isn't "necessary" but the truck warms up quicker with it. Less idle time. Less fuel wasted. Cheap options to add at the factory. Pain in the ass to add after the fact. I love the cab heater. Warms up in there super fast. Get both.
how does the supplemental heater work? is it like a hidden electrical space heater? Does it shut itself off after it warms up?

how does the supplemental heater work? is it like a hidden electrical space heater? Does it shut itself off after it warms up?
It's an electrical heating coil in the air ducts. It's completely automatic and has no manual controls. I believe it functions off the temperature of the coolant that ruins in the in the heater core

They were cheap option and figured to better have it and not need it then not have it and need it .... Army saying but they are cheap I say do it ... I did ... Make sure you get the heated steering wheel for 2020 it is part of the heated wipers package

Adding Supplemental cab heater automatically includes 397 amp alternator which is a nice way to include it without adding to the bill (At least on the 2020 SD)

If your in cold weather the 2 of them are nice to have when you need them they are there. For the price it is good insurance.

Back