Fold down back seat

erikswedberg

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
I was amused to learn the driver's side back seat doesn't fold down. Has anyone had success with these aftermarket pull tabs?

Or is this like - why would you ever want to? I would think it would be handy if anything ever dropped back there and you needed to fish it out.

---

Next question. I noticed the horizontal parts of the back seats don't stay locked in the down position while you're driving unless you physically lock them with a key. How odd!

The pull tabs are just to release the seats when they are locked in the up position.

Does anyone keep their back seats locked down as a daily habit? It seems like the safest option.

But that means anytime you need to access something under the seat you need to be fishing out and messing with your keys? Also nice how the keys catch when you unlock and try to raise the seat before removing them.

Last edited:
following

I have my back seats down, not the back rest due to storing stuff under the seats. I need to buy that built right part as it is a pain trying to get the seat backs down without it, at least the driver's side. There's some storage back there or at least some room for mounting things. Another person installed that built right part.

Check out the what did you do to your Tremor today for lots of ideas...
That was an idea of what you can do under the backseat.

I now get that the key/lock has its uses to secure whatever is put in that underseat compartment.

My desired behavior is when it is unlocked, the seats are still secure when down, and don't raise when you lift the seat cushion unless you pull the tab. This seems reasonable as I travel with a carseat in the back. Now to get my desired behavior, I have to use the physical lock which just feels dumb.

I now get that the key/lock has its uses to secure whatever is put in that underseat compartment.

My desired behavior is when it is unlocked, the seats are still secure when down, and don't raise when you lift the seat cushion unless you pull the tab. This seems reasonable as I travel with a carseat in the back. Now to get my desired behavior, I have to use the physical lock which just feels dumb.

It does, one would think pulling a tab deactivating a locking mechanism would suffice. Other parts within the truck do this and it seems odd that it isn't this way with the rear seats. Perhaps due to the storage and ease of access?

I installed the Built Right seat latch. Simple install and works as described.

I like the seat lock setup. I keep tools and such under the seat and don't lock it. It only gets locked when I have a long gun under there which is infrequent.

I was surprised to see I couldn’t drop the seat back like I could in the ‘15 F-250 I traded, I’ll have to look into the Built Right kit.

I removed the underseat lockable storage tray for a completely flat floor and then laid the Husky full coverage floor liner on top. I have two boxes of tools I keep in the truck that are on the passenger side and the 40 seat stays folded up. I can still carry two passengers on the 60 seat. I do wish the 40 section was on the driver's side so that my tools could be on my side of the cab but its not a huge deal.

I removed the underseat lockable storage tray for a completely flat floor and then laid the Husky full coverage floor liner on top. I have two boxes of tools I keep in the truck that are on the passenger side and the 40 seat stays folded up. I can still carry two passengers on the 60 seat. I do wish the 40 section was on the driver's side so that my tools could be on my side of the cab but its not a huge deal.
Odd that's a good idea, the 40 seat should be on the driver's side.

I’ve been using this one for about 4 years. Everytime I trade in a truck for a new one, I remove it and throw it in my new truck. Install is super easy. Fold the seat up to give you some room to work behind the seat. Grab a long combo wrench and box end to pull up in the little sliver tab. It will release from the wall. Then Fold it town and unsrew the latch. Put the plate on and all done. Only complaint is I wish the pull tab was stiffer. Little bit of a pain to get it to when it falls behind the seat.

Dropped the seat yesterday and checked .. there is a good bit of space back there for Ford to now have made access to it easy. I’ll be ordering the part from BuiltRight after seeing that.

I've got one but I haven't installed it yet. My little one's car set sits in the middle making access impossible anyway.

How did you do this? My wife and I took a look at it and couldn’t get it sorted. We frequently have a dog kennel and arb fridge in the back and would like it to sit a bit more flat.

How did you do this? My wife and I took a look at it and couldn’t get it sorted. We frequently have a dog kennel and arb fridge in the back and would like it to sit a bit more flat.

Fold both rear seats up and deploy the underseat storage tray. Remove the rubber liner from the bottom of the tray. You will see four round plastic caps. Remove those, and then remove the four nuts that are under those caps. On the driver's side, remove the clamp holding the lug nut wrench pouch. You can now pull the entire tray assembly up and off the floor, and out of the truck.

You'll be left with four studs that stick up from the floor. Three of them can be removed from under the truck with a Torx bit. Two are above the gas tank and are a little hard to get to. A fourth one is underneath a bunch of that silver stick-on liner that is under the body. You can screw that stud down far enough from inside the cab to get a level floor without having to tear up the silver liner under the cab.

After you do all that, the Husky full-length rear floor liner (#53491) fits perfectly.

Fold both rear seats up and deploy the underseat storage tray. Remove the rubber liner from the bottom of the tray. You will see four round plastic caps. Remove those, and then remove the four nuts that are under those caps. On the driver's side, remove the clamp holding the lug nut wrench pouch. You can now pull the entire tray assembly up and off the floor, and out of the truck.

You'll be left with four studs that stick up from the floor. Three of them can be removed from under the truck with a Torx bit. Two are above the gas tank and are a little hard to get to. A fourth one is underneath a bunch of that silver stick-on liner that is under the body. You can screw that stud down far enough from inside the cab to get a level floor without having to tear up the silver liner under the cab.

After you do all that, the Husky full-length rear floor liner (#53491) fits perfectly.

Man, thanks for the detailed response! Going to do that this weekend and already ordered the rear floor liner! The flat floor will be much better for me than the storage area.

Got my BuiltRight parts in and installed last night in between rain drops. I did notice that the latch seems to not always engage easily every time, sometimes I have to slam (slam might be a bit harsh of a word) the seat back into place to get it to latch.

Have others noticed this? Is it normal? I’m fine if it is, otherwise I’ll fiddle with it somemore and see if I can get it to engage better/more consistantly.

Got my BuiltRight parts in and installed last night in between rain drops. I did notice that the latch seems to not always engage easily every time, sometimes I have to slam (slam might be a bit harsh of a word) the seat back into place to get it to latch.

Have others noticed this? Is it normal? I’m fine if it is, otherwise I’ll fiddle with it somemore and see if I can get it to engage better/more consistantly.
Mine is the same way. it worked perfectly on my Raptor every time but with the tremor, I noticed its hit and miss. Sometimes it takes a couple of closures to latch.

Mine was the same way. I’ll likely never use it, but bought the strap from Builtright anyways. My daughters car seat sits on that side ??‍♂️

Back