FOB wouldn’t work today - anyone ever had this happen?

If I missed it, can't you use or did your try the Ford App to unlock your doors? I never use my fob, always keep it in my pocket and use the touch to unlock front door handels and always either use the key pad or door handle push to lock buttons. I don't know if this helps any..
I did not, as I have disabled connectivity from my truck, so the ford pass app isn’t an option. Even if it was tho, I don’t think I’d trust it enough to rely on it.

If I missed it, can't you use or did your try the Ford App to unlock your doors? I never use my fob, always keep it in my pocket and use the touch to unlock front door handels and always either use the key pad or door handle push to lock buttons. I don't know if this helps any..
My app doesn't work either. It's like all electric functions are shut down.

I broke down and ordered the door pillar trim and keypad. Parts came today. Thinking I’ll go ahead and do the rear door handle swap while I’m in there. May not get a chance to install them until next weekend.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the Ford app but the FOB could easily be seeing interference from some wireless device nearby that has gone bad. I look at interference for the wireless carriers and it would amaze you what can cause a whole cell site to stop working. Little things like a bad motor winding on a garage door or the older cordless radios, just about everything purchased on Alibaba. I think our remotes operate at 315 MHz but a bad device could be interfering out of band. If you are close to a military base it could be them, we had Nellis Airforce Base taking down a complete cellular network and all FOBs in the city, this went off and on for months. One of our retired AF guys called the base and they said it wasn't them but it stopped that day. I always wondered how well the jamming worked on those planes.

If it always happens at the same place like the gas station or a certain time of day it's most likely interference, if its all of the time I would check the battery and look at the circuit board, the FOB probably has the antenna integrated into the board and could have a bad solder joint.

If it's still in warranty make the dealer fix it.

Just wanted to update. Truck has 13,000mi now. I did swap a new rear door handle with the driver door some time back. Also added the driver door keypad at the same time. Have added remote cables to battery as well.

About 30 min ago the FOB did the same as the first post. Was getting ready to leave the house, tried to remote start the truck and the fob just didn’t work at all. Nothing. Walked out to the truck with fob and not response from truck at all to any fob inputs.

Happy to report the keypad DID unlock the door. Once the door opened, the fob / truck was back to normal.

Just wanted to update. Truck has 13,000mi now. I did swap a new rear door handle with the driver door some time back. Also added the driver door keypad at the same time. Have added remote cables to battery as well.

About 30 min ago the FOB did the same as the first post. Was getting ready to leave the house, tried to remote start the truck and the fob just didn’t work at all. Nothing. Walked out to the truck with fob and not response from truck at all to any fob inputs.

Happy to report the keypad DID unlock the door. Once the door opened, the fob / truck was back to normal.
Do you think the battery in the fob might need replacing soon?

I suspect these random occurrences are due to interference from something.

Now that i think back mine did a similar thing once. I thought I had killed the truck battery. Never had it happen again and I use remote start almost daily.

As someone who works in the Automotive repair industry, seldom hiccups in the computer/electrical system of these newer vehicles is not uncommon. There's nothing that can be fixed most of the time, its just nature of the beast. Unless you can consistently replicate the issue there is no point in worrying about it or trying to have it "fixed" as the first step to fixing it is verifying the issue. Its nearly impossible to fix a "ghost" problem.

Thankfully this problem is only a minor inconvenience.

Last edited:
Do you think the battery in the fob might need replacing soon?
I would hope the factory battery would last longer than 16mo (truck was born 3/23/22). I’ve got fobs for an ‘02 and ‘03 GM that still work to this day on factory battery.

Being that it did it once at 4,400mi and today at 13,000mi I’d doubt it’s the battery.

Anyone know what frequency the fobs work on? Wonder if there’s any way the home wifi could interfere? I’ve got 2 routers, one in basement and one in attic above 2nd floor. I was on first floor and the routers would have been 20’ behind me and no where near line of sight between the fob and truck. I was pointing the fob thru the window at the truck, prob 40’ away. Do the same routine every time I drive the truck.

I would hope the factory battery would last longer than 16mo (truck was born 3/23/22). I’ve got fobs for an ‘02 and ‘03 GM that still work to this day on factory battery.

Being that it did it once at 4,400mi and today at 13,000mi I’d doubt it’s the battery.

Anyone know what frequency the fobs work on? Wonder if there’s any way the home wifi could interfere? I’ve got 2 routers, one in basement and one in attic above 2nd floor. I was on first floor and the routers would have been 20’ behind me and no where near line of sight between the fob and truck. I was pointing the fob thru the window at the truck, prob 40’ away. Do the same routine every time I drive the truck.
Worth noting these new fobs are more power hungry and they're basically always 'on', IIRC.

Reactions: ccw
My FOB worked to unlock/lock the truck, but no key detected msg on my information screen. The truck would not start or remote start. It had less than 2000 miles on it. I had it for only a month. Had to have it towed to the dealership. It was the BCM. They replaced it and it seems fine now.

Latest Discussions

Back