First Time Diesel Owner - Oil Change #1 at what mileage?

BRVT

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat Sport Tremor
As a first time diesel owner, I have seen differing opinions on when to get that first oil change. Just about to hit 1k mileage on my 6.7 and wanted to get some more opinions from you all. What mileage do you recommend to get that first oil change? Was thinking about 2.5k based on what I have seen but more information never hurts.

Same boat as you, first diesel. I just hit 5k and did it even though my meter said I had 50% left. I wanted to switch to synthetic and I felt that it wasn’t great to leave the first round of oil in forever but I have no basis for that - just an assumption.

Had mine changed at around 5K, because we were preparing to go on an 8K mile road trip. If we weren't going on the road trip I probably would have waited closer to the 10K.

ok so from Factory you have break in oil in them my buddy is a diesel tech at ford and he said you should do at 1k miles i did mine at 1.1k but it doesn't hurt to run under 10k but he said they are told to do at 2k for fleet vehicles on 6.7 and 7.3 and change fleet oil every 5k to 7.5k miles also i use the Ford motorcraft diesel oil works fine and it what the dealers use ... he has 6.7 with 300k mile coming for regular maintain all the time

ok so from Factory you have break in oil in them my buddy is a diesel tech at ford and he said you should do at 1k miles i did mine at 1.1k but it doesn't hurt to run under 10k but he said they are told to do at 2k for fleet vehicles on 6.7 and 7.3 and change fleet oil every 5k to 7.5k miles also i use the Ford motorcraft diesel oil works fine and it what the dealers use ... he has 6.7 with 300k mile coming for regular maintain all the time

If that’s true why wouldn’t the manual state that that requirement for 1k change?

If that’s true why wouldn’t the manual state that that requirement for 1k change?
well i do find it interesting that the manual doesn't say it but it does say Do not tow and speed for the first 1k miles for break in period .... i like changing my oil every 3k miles in my other vehicles... that what i do .... but you can follow Ford recommended... but you should change your oil basic off what you do with your truck .... in the manual it talks about that depending what you do with your truck is when you should change your oil i will see if i can find that paper again but i remember reading about it

I've never owned a diesel, but any new vehicle I get I change the oil at around 1000 miles just to clean out any metal fragments and shit from break in. Maybe helps, maybe not, but makes me feel better. After that I change it when the idiot light tells me to or at 3K miles if I think the oil may be dirty.

I change the oil at around 1000 miles just to clean out any metal fragments and shit from break in.

Keep in mind you have an oversized, well-engineered oil filter that performs this task continuously. It achieves an efficiency of 98% at 18 microns and holds up to 29 grams of contaminants. For perspective, that's aa little over five quarters worth of metal.

At the minimum follow what ford states in the owners manual, at least then you are covered in any warranty issues that could arise and save all receipts. Other than that its your truck and money, if you want to change it every 1,000, or 5,000 miles do whatever makes you happy. As long as you're following regular scheduled maintenance and taking care of the truck you stand to have a pretty good experience with any vehicle, or at least in my experience.

I purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty and the paper work states every 3k miles which i think is a joke.

I purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty and the paper work states every 3k miles which i think is a joke.
most modern vehicles don't need oil changed any where near as often at 3K miles. If you run full synthetic, the oil manufacturers state you can run it for 10K miles or more, sometimes quite a bit more.

Manufacturers like to limit the number of oil changes because they cost money, and these costs show up when fleet managers analyse the cost of ownership. Toget around warranty issues, they have an escape clause which covers things such as extreme operating conditions, such as dusty conditions or heavy towing. Then you need to change oil more frequently but these extra oil changes don’t appear on the fleet managers expected running costs. Fleets only keep vehicles for a certain time before being sold. They don’t care what happens after that and as the larger The fleet share of sales, the more the manufacturer builds the car for the fleets. Reducing the number of services required makes the vehicle cheaper for the fleet even if it reduces the life of the engine and other components.

The basic thing with oils is that it has a limited number of heat cycles before it breaks down and loses its lubricating properties. Also, it has a limit to how much it can be contaminated, as does the filter, and as an engine ages there will be more contamination. Oils and engines vary, but the basics remain the same. Halving the oil change intervals recommended by the manufacturer can only be good for the engine, assuming the correct oil/filter is being used

As a first time diesel owner, I have seen differing opinions on when to get that first oil change. Just about to hit 1k mileage on my 6.7 and wanted to get some more opinions from you all. What mileage do you recommend to get that first oil change? Was thinking about 2.5k based on what I have seen but more information never hurts.
We have talked about this the past 7 or 8 months........and argued. Some guys test their oil. Some guys insist on doing the bare minimum that Ford recommends. I chose to change my oil at 2500 miles. At that point I knew the engine was broke in. From then on I intend to change every 5000 miles. I switched to full synthetic at that point (Rotella T6) and added a friction modifier (Archoil). I KNOW that full synthetic is better for your engine than a synthetic blend. So just cause Ford uses Synthetic Blend 10W30 from the factory, doesn't make it the best choice. What ever you use, it has to meet the Ford Lubrication Spec WSS-M2C171-F1. Some guys are sold on Amsoil. I am sold on Amsoil. But I will not run it because it is not listed on any list I have ever seen for Ford approved Lubricants, and to my knowledge it does not have the Ford Spec WSS-M2C171-F1 on it's packaging.

Now let's talk frequency: I change my 6.7 every 5000 miles cause these engines run dirty. Someday I want to run a bypass filtration system, but until then I will change my oil often. Try this little test: Check your oil (Full Synthetic) after just 500 miles from your first oil change.......if you have a 6.7....It's gonna be black as coal. That's carbon, and that's not that good for your motor.

It appears to be listed on Amsoil

Attachments

• 64A7DCAE-FD7F-40F8-B720-36AB08F97983.png
    64A7DCAE-FD7F-40F8-B720-36AB08F97983.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 76
  • C434D5D3-28F8-4EA9-9F3F-0AD76B03A7D4.png
    C434D5D3-28F8-4EA9-9F3F-0AD76B03A7D4.png
    559.3 KB · Views: 74
It appears to be listed on Amsoil
If it does not appear on the bottle....or on the FORD list....I won't use it. And one other thing: GO Preds!!!!!! (next year) And make sure you give Warpath some shit too!!

Last edited:
Here you go.

Attachments

• 1BA9E90A-49B1-42BD-8AD5-A59EE6CBA703.png
    1BA9E90A-49B1-42BD-8AD5-A59EE6CBA703.png
    559.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 0A00786C-0E5C-47B6-817C-5717937AD124.png
    0A00786C-0E5C-47B6-817C-5717937AD124.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 44

Latest Discussions

Back