First Super Duty, Need some advice.

Lariat is a great choice as you can add most of the really important stuff to it as an option. If one is funds limited, I think it's a great trim level. The 2022 I was going to get was a Lariat so I could get that sixth seat. Now that I've been pushed to a 2023, I'm going to get a Platinum. It's definitely not JUST seats. There are a lot more niceties when you go to a Platinum even from a Lariat Ultimate + Tremor. If money is no option and you want a Tremor (no Tremor with Limited), Platinum is the way to go.

If I had to choose between Platinum gas or Lariat Diesel, I'd take the Lariat Diesel personally.

Regen won’t start until up to full operating temperature just because you get up to engine temperature by the end of your trip doesn’t garontee that you a getting to a efficient regen which requires a lot of heat. With short runs stoping regen short is more likely. Now if you have time to keep driving to let regen complete great but not always a option and letting it idle longer in regen doesn’t cut it. Again issues at work usually don’t pop up using that way right away. Wait until closer to the end of the emissions warranty in the 6-7 year area. A couple of years is extremely unlikely to be a problem. Even during the initial 5 year power train warranty it’s not extremely likely. If not keeping long term it is a non issue but if keeping longer there is a much higher possibly of learning why many fleet managers strongly dislike the diesel doing mainly short trips. The DPF can be served but only to a certain point and it will need to be replaced at a extremely large expense.
What happens when regen starts right before I drive to work does it hurt it to drive ?

What happens when regen starts right before I drive to work does it hurt it to drive ?
Best to be driving during regeneration and ideally all the way through the cycle; been told driving at 40 mph+ ideally. My understanding is loading up the engine is better to get a sustained good hot burn burn to clear up the stuff in the DPF. If you stop the engine before regen completes or can’t keep temperatures up during the registration (decent engine load) it will start leading to faster DPF clogging. The DPF can be manually cleaned but if if doing that often will shorten the life of it. It is best on the system to keep driving until registration completes. I think stopping short of completion sparingly will have minimal issues but if doing it repeatedly you are asking for issues in my experience.

Best to be driving during regeneration and ideally all the way through the cycle; been told driving at 40 mph+ ideally. My understanding is loading up the engine is better to get a sustained good hot burn burn to clear up the stuff in the DPF. If you stop the engine before regen completes or can’t keep temperatures up during the registration (decent engine load) it will start leading to faster DPF clogging. The DPF can be manually cleaned but if if doing that often will shorten the life of it. It is best on the system to keep driving until registration completes. I think stopping short of completion sparingly will have minimal issues but if doing it repeatedly you are asking for issues in my experience.
Read your manual about active regen and don’t overthink it. You’ll get warnings if you aren’t letting it do what it needs to.

There doesn’t need to be load on the engine to do a regen or for it to build up the heat necessary for it to do a regen. It injects diesel during the exhaust stroke to heat the exhaust to the needed temperature.

950E3035-693D-4049-A37B-EE63D9B65AB3.jpeg

81919761-EE6C-4BD3-AB18-EE669A6D28FB.jpeg

Read your manual about active regen and don’t overthink it. You’ll get warnings if you aren’t letting it do what it needs to.

There doesn’t need to be load on the engine to do a regen or for it to build up the heat necessary for it to do a regen. It injects diesel during the exhaust stroke to heat the exhaust to the needed temperature.

View attachment 104853
View attachment 104854
Thank you

View attachment 104853
View attachment 104854
What I was trying to say by load was driving not “loaded truck”, not just idling in a parking lot as stated to avoid later in the later part of the manual. The local shop was the one telling us to drive 40+ With our problematic trucks vs the manuals suggested 30 mph. Unless a pure commuter for personal use this is likely less of an issue but if driving where the regen messages come up over time that will catch up with you. In a personal truck that gets taken out and driven longer distances occasionally it can be much less of an issue but still needs to be taken out and driven longer distances for the crap to work right.

I tried to talk myself into buying the 7.3L gasser this time around but I just couldn't do it. It doesn't help that I found a truck spec'd very close to what I wanted on the lot and it just happened to have the HO diesel. I am comfortable with diesels and the power, torque and sound are intoxicating. I also occasionally tow heavy (15K+) so that helps me to justify it as well. I will see what my journey with this truck looks like and once it's time for a new one and my time with it has been assessed I'll decide then if it's time for a gasser the next go-around.

At the end of the day it's hard to go wrong either way, but down here in Texas I do believe the diesels will have better resale.

Wow, a lot of great information. I appreciate each of you. I haven’t been on a forum in years, people would bash someone for asking a question as such. Nice to be a part of a great forum.

From what I gathered, holding value probably diesel. But for what I’m going to use it for, which is to drive around town and such then the 7.3.

Thank you all 🙏🏽
Make sure you look at the MPG’s of the 7.3 versus the 6.7. Diesel is the winner there.

Oh yes. How long will it take for the mpg to offset 13k??

DA
From another thread on here:

“Assumptions: Average 15,000 miles a year, diesel fuel .20 cents more than gas on average
Diesel 19 mpg 1250miles/19 = 65.7 gallons
Gas 12 mpg 1250 miles/12 = 104.1 gallons”

I had a 2017 with the 6.7, and now a 2022 with the 7.3. Since I don't tow heavy, I'm much happier with the 7.3, as it was cheaper, maintenance much cheaper, and no DEF to buy.
I'm renting a 22 F250 with the 6.7. Pulling lightweight camper thru the rockies. It is fun to drive. Can't wait for my Tremor 7.3 so I can compare.

DA

From my experience over the last 24 years owning SD's beginning with the first V10 F250, you will get the price difference back on resale between gas and diesel under 200K miles.

A diesel cost more to maintain but gets better mileage if you work these trucks for what they are designed for. Those costs pretty much offset themselves. If you are buying one of these trucks as a commuter or grocery getter then gas is fine and the right choice. If one plans to work the truck and tow heavy go with diesel.

Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation and some experience.

Last edited:
I went with the 7.3 Lariat Ultimate edition. I like the tech but I do not want to deal with adding def fluid, cleaning the def injectors, and everything involved with diesel. In the end, if you really like the sound of diesel and want the towing options, then that is the way to go. If you want quieter and simplified, then you go 7.3

From my experience over the last 24 years owning SD's beginning with the first V10 F250, you will get the price difference back on resale between gas and diesel under 200K miles.

A diesel cost more to maintain but gets better mileage if you work these trucks for what they are designed for. Those costs pretty much offset themselves. If you are buying one of these trucks as a commuter or grocery getter than gas is fine and the right choice. If one plans to work the truck and tow heavy go with diesel.

Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation and some experience.
Excellent point on the resale, especially in Texas. Thank you for sharing.

I went with the 7.3 Lariat Ultimate edition. I like the tech but I do not want to deal with adding def fluid, cleaning the def injectors, and everything involved with diesel. In the end, if you really like the sound of diesel and want the towing options, then that is the way to go. If you want quieter and simplified, then you go 7.3
Def fluid lasts for up to 6000 miles, def injectors, that's a new one, my 4 diesel never have done it. Maybe I missed that one.

Def fluid lasts for up to 6000 miles, def injectors, that's a new one, my 4 diesel never have done it. Maybe I missed that one.

Never had an issue with a DEF injector (knocks on wood) with the 4 diesel PU's over the years, still have 3 of those one 350 6.7 with 200K on the clock. Currently have 2 Ford 6.7's, 1 RAM 6.7 and 1 7.3 Powerstroke.

I’ve never owned a diesel, and I don’t tow often at all. But I bought the F-350 diesel because I wanted the better mileage and if I end up towing, I have plenty of options on what to tow. Didn’t want to put any limits on myself.
I do all the maintenance myself, which has kept the cost low and it’s been fun for me and my boys to work on the truck. No regrets here.
As far as trim level, I always go Platinum because I do like the massage seats and the way the trim looks. But if you have to go lariat with the diesel, you’re not sacrificing much
Does the lariat ultimate have massage seats?

Back