First oil change on the 6.7

Nazz112

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Lariat Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I will start by saying I’ve historically always had the dealership do my oil changes for the whole carfax record process for resale purposes. I plan on keeping this truck long term so I’m doing as much of the maintenance in my garage as possible. I used Royal Purple synthetic 5w40 with 1 quart of Lucas oil synthetic oil stabilizer. Not sure if anyone has done this type of a combination but I will be happy to report any positive effects I see going forward.

Last edited:
Ford has a list of oils approved for use in these engines to keep your warranty intact. I don't believe royal purple is on it. Rotella T6 5w-40 is on the list, is full synthetic, is usually a bit cheaper. You also don't need the Lucas since your filter has a drain back valve unlike all the cat filters, these motors don't consume oil typically and synthetic oils usually coat bearings well.

Ford has a list of oils approved for use in these engines to keep your warranty intact. I don't believe royal purple is on it. Rotella T6 5w-40 is on the list, is full synthetic, is usually a bit cheaper. You also don't need the Lucas since your filter has a drain back valve unlike all the cat filters, these motors don't consume oil typically and synthetic oils usually coat bearings well.
It is on the list I already checked

Well then I retract that. I haven't looked at the list in a few years since I got my truck
👍🏼
I’ve ran full synthetic before but never in conjunction with synthetic stabilizer so that’s what I’m interested in seeing any possible improvement. Cold start up, mpg, oil life…

I run Lucas diesel fuel treatment too in every tank.
Totally agree with you......Best thing you can do to protect your fuel system without modifying it ........not gonna modify a $10-12K fuel system on a truck under warranty!

Royal Purple is on there for the 7.3 I will start running it after my upcoming third oil change.

Do you do an oil analysis when you do your oil change?
I want to after this cycle to see how it looks. I’m just conflicted on how many miles to go before changing. I read synthetic with synthetic stabilizer can easily go 10k miles but that seems like a lot.

I want to after this cycle to see how it looks. I’m just conflicted on how many miles to go before changing. I read synthetic with synthetic stabilizer can easily go 10k miles but that seems like a lot.
Start by going the miles the owners manual states. I use Blackstone laboratories to do mine. They send the bottle to collect the sample, the shipping container thats got the shipping label with postage and the form you fill out and send with the sample. They send the sample bottle and shipping container for free, you just pay for the analysis. They will then email you with the results. If they think that you should do less miles or more they will tell you. They also go over the results of what they find.

I just changed my oil for the first time. I change my oil in my vehicles at every 6000 miles. The oil life meter had about 20% left on it. I used Rotella T6 15W-40 with the stock Ford oil filter. I also added the Archoil oil additive and I alsways use the Archoil fuel additive during every fill up. I also added a Fumoto oil drain valve which will make it much easier to drain the oil into my old oil gallon containers to take it for recycling instead of having to drain it into a drain pan and then dump it into the gallon jugs afterwards.

Last edited:
I just changed my oil for the first time. I change my oil in my vehicles at every 6000 miles. The oil life meter had about 20% left on it. I used Rotella T6 15W-40 with the stock Ford oil filter. I also added the Archoil oil additive and I alsways use the Archoil fuel additive during every fill up. I also added a Fumoto oil drain valve which will make it much easier to drain the oil into my old oil gallon containers to take it for recycling instead of having to drain it into a drain pan and then dump it into the gallon jugs afterwards.
I have a Fumto on my truck too. They are nice to have. I put one on my parents Jeep when I changed the oil on it.

I notice you all use the term "every fill up". I have a 60 gallon aftermarket tank, I hardly ever let it go past 25% left for several reasons. One I have read the pump has to work harder below that, but mainly in today's environment anytime I see diesel at a lower price I will top of and I add motorcraft fuel aditive accordingly. Also I like to keep my tank as full as possible as you never know when or what may happen in the crazy world we live in.

I will start by saying I’ve historically always had the dealership do my oil changes for the whole carfax record process for resale purposes. I plan on keeping this truck long term so I’m doing as much of the maintenance in my garage as possible. I used Royal Purple synthetic 5w40 with 1 quart of Lucas oil synthetic oil stabilizer. Not sure if anyone has done this type of a combination but I will be happy to report any positive effects I see going forward.
You may want to make sure you’re not voiding the warranty by doing what you are doing in regards to the oils/ additive you plan on using. If you have an Eng issue and they find out there’s something other than what recommended it could be a very costly mistake on your part.

Back