First aid kit

big misconception is that it is geared only for active shooters and the like
I hope my comment didn't get misconstrued into thinking that is how all IFAKs should be, but it is what I use since I went to a lot of high schools, colleges, career fairs, malls, etc, places really densely populated and a prime area for a mass shooting, so I believed it to best suit my AO.

Your chicks tampon will ensure you have major complications at best and die at worst

They do not stop the bleeding, actually can make the wound worse, are chemically treated to prevent clotting and can cause all kinds of other problems

You are way better off packing the wound with kerlix if it comes to that
Well.....as I stated previously. I have invested quite a bit in Quickclot gauze, Qucikclot, regular gauze, etc for my trauma kits. But.....if the SHTF.....and I needed to.....I would use my t-shirt, my socks, and whatever else I had.....including my chicks tampons to try and stop or severly slow the bleeding.

Dirt shouldn't be the first thing you pack in a wound to help stop bleeding either......but it has been done.

I'm very sure that our life experiences are probably very different. I spent many years in places where everyone on the team was given combat medical training and expected to be able to perform it. We didn't have the luxury of an ambulance 4 minutes away.

I hope my comment didn't get misconstrued into thinking that is how all IFAKs should be, but it is what I use since I went to a lot of high schools, colleges, career fairs, malls, etc, places really densely populated and a prime area for a mass shooting, so I believed it to best suit my AO.
Nope......that's a good looking kit.

And not just because I see a bunch of the same things I have in mine ;)

Well.....as I stated previously. I have invested quite a bit in Quickclot gauze, Qucikclot, regular gauze, etc for my trauma kits. But.....if the SHTF.....and I needed to.....I would use my t-shirt, my socks, and whatever else I had.....including my chicks tampons to try and stop or severly slow the bleeding.

Dirt shouldn't be the first thing you pack in a wound to help stop bleeding either......but it has been done.

I'm very sure that our life experiences are probably very different. I spent many years in places where everyone on the team was given combat medical training and expected to be able to perform it. We didn't have the luxury of an ambulance 4 minutes away.

Yep, im

20 years military and some way remote deployments with lots of military medical training (oh and I was actually doing some of the training) and then 10+ years as a medic on a ambulance & 5+ years in a couple different ED’d to include a level II trauma center

It will take a ambulance about 20min running 90mph to get to where I currently am and it’s a BLS ambulance, so I am a little familiar with remote medicine

No no no. Not at all. It was a general observation from life experience. Nothing was directed toward your posts at all. In fact, I liked all your posts. I'm hoping to spread the word to everyone that it's not just tactical prepper stuff we're talking about, that's all.

Nobody else will do what Dark Angel does, nobody will replace what you use for free if you need to use your kit

Yep, im

20 years military and some way remote deployments with lots of military medical training (oh and I was actually doing some of the training) and then 10+ years as a medic on a ambulance & 5+ years in a couple different ED’d to include a level II trauma center

It will take a ambulance about 20min running 90mph to get to where I currently am and it’s a BLS ambulance, so I am a little familiar with remote medicine
Sure....life is perfect in a BLS equipped ambulance or the ER where you have pretty much everything you need.

Life isn't perfect at an auto wreck or 5 miles out in the desert, or the woods hunting or on your atv out on a trail and you get hurt. Not everyone carries a perfectly outfitted trauma kit that is ready for every contingency, and in some situations you have to use what you have or improvise. I consider my trauma kits to be pretty well stocked with plenty of gauze, etc, more so than most first aid kits, but I surely don't have an entire ambulance worth of stuff with me. I would use whatever I have and will improvise for what I don't. I figure that I would deplete most of my supplies in my small trauma kits within 2-3 people if I had to help them. Again.....I'm not trying to carry a fully equipped ambulance in my truck or on my pack. And yes.....if I had to, I would cut off clothing and use whatever else I had to render aid and deal with the situation.

Sure....an Israeli bandage is ideal in plenty of situations when you need it, but if you don't have it...then you have to use other things.

So here is my message to everyone I might ever meet from this forum. If we're ever out in the boonies and I get hurt and am bleeding profusely.....and all you find in my backpack is a roll of duct tape and some maxi pads and tampons.....USE THEM. Don't stand there and watch me bleed out because I don't have all the "right stuff" in my pack.

If you need to...... cut my t-shirt off and use it .

Hell...cut all my clothes off and use them....I don't care.

Sure....life is perfect in a BLS equipped ambulance or the ER where you have pretty much everything you need.
Life isn't perfect at an auto wreck or 5 miles out in the desert, or the woods hunting or on your atv out on a trail and you get hurt. Not everyone carries a perfectly outfitted trauma kit that is ready for every contingency, and in some situations you have to use what you have or improvise. I consider my trauma kits to be pretty well stocked with plenty of gauze, etc, more so than most first aid kits, but I surely don't have an entire ambulance worth of stuff with me. I would use whatever I have and will improvise for what I don't. I figure that I would deplete most of my supplies in my small trauma kits within 2-3 people if I had to help them. Again.....I'm not trying to carry a fully equipped ambulance in my truck or on my pack. And yes.....if I had to, I would cut off clothing and use whatever else I had to render aid and deal with the situation.

Sure....an Israeli bandage is ideal in plenty of situations when you need it, but if you don't have it...then you have to use other things.

So here is my message to everyone I might ever meet from this forum. If we're ever out in the boonies and I get hurt and am bleeding profusely.....and all you find in my backpack is a roll of duct tape and some maxi pads and tampons.....USE THEM. Don't stand there and watch me bleed out because I don't have all the "right stuff" in my pack.

If you need to...... cut my t-shirt off and use it .

Hell...cut all my clothes off and use them....I don't care.

You don’t have a clue what you are talking about & instead talking out your ass

Fucking idiot

And you'd be surprised just how much blood a maxi-pad can soak up, plus they're relatively cheap. You can easily grab a box of these and split them up between several kits. Try to find the individually wrapped ones, but if not, just put a few of them in a ziplock bag and seal it tight.
If you have so much blood you need a pad, you should be using direct pressure, combat gauze or tourniquet.

If you have so much blood you need a pad, you should be using direct pressure, combat gauze or tourniquet.
Agreed. Isn't direct pressure applicable in any bleeding situation?

I wasn't saying to just lay a maxi-pad on the wound and walk away.

As I said above. Not everyone carries a fully equipped trauma kit or a well outfitted first aid kit. Most people buy the kit you get at the store that has a ton of band-aids and maybe 2 4x4 gauze pads in it. If you're bleeding beyond what those kits will handle, and you don't have anything else, you have to improvise and use whatever you have available.

That might be a maxi-pad...or cut up clothing...or any number of things.

Says the guy who told us our sunroofs would explode if we tinted them.

Ohhhh, snazzy on topic comeback

Go take a TCCC class and learn how idiotic you are & how little you actually know compared to what you think you know

However, we both know you won’t as you think you know it all already

As I said above. Not everyone carries a fully equipped trauma kit or a well outfitted first aid kit. Most people buy the kit you get at the store that has a ton of band-aids and maybe 2 4x4 gauze pads in it. If you're bleeding beyond what those kits will handle, and you don't have anything else, you have to improvise and use whatever you have available.

No, direct pressure is NOT applicable in all situations, sometimes a TQ is the initial treatment, but if you had any real medical training you would already know this

Explain to us all how and where you would apply direct pressure here???

EDCEB991-7306-4316-AC28-ACD5599BF261.jpeg

Back