Fifth Wheel Towing

promotionsguy

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
I am in the process of acquiring a Fifth Wheel so the family and I can go on a 2 year road trip around the country. I am planning to purchase the Grand Design Reflection 367BHS (14,995 Totally Full). I'd LOVE to go grab a 350 Tremor to pull it but I think I may want to go with something more. The payload on this bothers me, especially the diesel at 3,300 pounds. Would I be better off getting the 7.3 for more payload? Getting the diesel and just being at the top of the line on payload? Or find a different truck and circle back to the Tremor when this trip is over in a couple years?

I'd love your thoughts! I plan to tow for 2-5 hours at a time once a week to get to the next destination.

I am in the process of acquiring a Fifth Wheel so the family and I can go on a 2 year road trip around the country. I am planning to purchase the Grand Design Reflection 367BHS (14,995 Totally Full). I'd LOVE to go grab a 350 Tremor to pull it but I think I may want to go with something more. The payload on this bothers me, especially the diesel at 3,300 pounds. Would I be better off getting the 7.3 for more payload? Getting the diesel and just being at the top of the line on payload? Or find a different truck and circle back to the Tremor when this trip is over in a couple years?

I'd love your thoughts! I plan to tow for 2-5 hours at a time once a week to get to the next destination.
Watch the tow weight. the bumper pulls with tremor are reduced from 20k to 15k. I don’t recall 5th wheel numbers but be sure to verify.

I'm pulling a 2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R with my 2020 F-350 6.7 Tremor. My 5th wheel weighs about 14,500lbs loaded. I'm just within the payload specs of my truck. My last truck was a 2019 F-350 DRW. I MUCH prefer driving the SRW Tremor. My personal limit for a SRW truck is around 16-17,000lbs (depending on the pin weight).

Lo
Watch the tow weight. the bumper pulls with tremor are reduced from 20k to 15k. I don’t recall 5th wheel numbers but be sure to verify.
Thanks for the thought, the fifth wheel rating is higher than the bumper pull so all should be good there

I did the same thing as bertschb, went from a 2019 F350 DRW 6.7. Towed great but was a bear everywhere else. Parking lots, drivethru's, and just everyday normal driving the ride was pretty rough empty. Ordered a 2020 F350 Tremor 7.3 knowing I was going to be giving up some payload for better livability. My payload came in at 3777 with my heavily optioned lariat sport. We have a 2018 367BHS that I have pulled with both trucks with the same airbags on both trucks. I took the airbags off the 2019 and put them on the 2020 even tho airlift says they won't work but the do. Only concern would be serious off-roading and axle droop with the airbags would be a problem. I add just enough air in the airlift bags to keep it off the overload springs. It smooths out the ride and keeps the truck pretty level. The biggest difference that I can tell towing is the stability. The DRW was rock solid where the Tremor moves around a little more due to the bigger sidewall tires on the Tremor and the SRW. Nothing scary but just doesn't feel as planted as the DRW but I am okay with it for the looks and day to day livability of the Tremor. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision!

I did the same thing as bertschb, went from a 2019 F350 DRW 6.7. Towed great but was a bear everywhere else. Parking lots, drivethru's, and just everyday normal driving the ride was pretty rough empty. Ordered a 2020 F350 Tremor 7.3 knowing I was going to be giving up some payload for better livability. My payload came in at 3777 with my heavily optioned lariat sport. We have a 2018 367BHS that I have pulled with both trucks with the same airbags on both trucks. I took the airbags off the 2019 and put them on the 2020 even tho airlift says they won't work but the do. Only concern would be serious off-roading and axle droop with the airbags would be a problem. I add just enough air in the airlift bags to keep it off the overload springs. It smooths out the ride and keeps the truck pretty level. The biggest difference that I can tell towing is the stability. The DRW was rock solid where the Tremor moves around a little more due to the bigger sidewall tires on the Tremor and the SRW. Nothing scary but just doesn't feel as planted as the DRW but I am okay with it for the looks and day to day livability of the Tremor. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision!
That's perfect, just put a deposit on a 6.7 Tremor and I think it will be perfect for the next couple years. Thanks for the input!

Hope everything's going well, hows the trip and hows the tremor towing?

My GrandDesign is 16,800 Its not a problem with the 6.7 Tremor.
I have a 7.3 in the stable too. If you are traveling around the country pull a 5 th wheel you should go with the 6.7. the 7.3 will do the trick but going over Mountains it will struggle and burn so much more fuel. The 6.7 with adaptive cruise and the exhaust brake makes life good going down the Mountains.
IMG_8266.jpeg

My GrandDesign is 16,800 Its not a problem with the 6.7 Tremor.
I have a 7.3 in the stable too. If you are traveling around the country pull a 5 th wheel you should go with the 6.7. the 7.3 will do the trick but going over Mountains it will struggle and burn so much more fuel. The 6.7 with adaptive cruise and the exhaust brake makes life good going down the Mountains.
View attachment 45511
Thanks for sharing. Do you have any clearance issues with ur bed and rv? What hitch do you use if you dont mind me askin?

get a 350 DRW..6.7 4.10 rear end and you will be just fine....the L/B comes with a 48 gal tank too

Thanks for sharing. Do you have any clearance issues with ur bed and rv? What hitch do you use if you dont mind me askin?
IMG_4816.jpeg

20 k slider with the 24K head, just drops in the holes perfectly and easy. My property up north where we take my 5er is off road, its hilly and curves between the pines. No trouble with clearances with this set up. The site is not level and the hook up is pretty easy. Not as easy as at home where its cement and table top level. I don't think I could hook up a goose ball on that site. It would be really tough. These self guide right in just have to be close not dead on.

Latest Discussions

Back