Factory trailer TPMS question

jdavenp3

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Soon to be F-350 Tremor Platinum
I have the ultimate tow package with the trailer TPMS available. Were there supposed to be any parts, or specialized valve stems, that came with the truck? Or does it just read it off the 7pin or other harness? Not sure how I can get it to work currently. I haven't found any setup steps in the manual or online. Would rather use the Ford integrated system rather than spending money on a secondary unit if possible.

Trailer TPMS is a standalone option. It can be ordered independently, or with a camera. The kit contains a harness that must be mounted to the trailer as well as four TPMS sensors.

You described your truck as having the “tow package with TPMS available.” You’re exactly right: It’s available, not included.

Trailer TPMS is a standalone option. It can be ordered independently, or with a camera. The kit contains a harness that must be mounted to the trailer as well as four TPMS sensors.

You described your truck as having the “tow package with TPMS available.” You’re exactly right: It’s available, not included.
I wonder why my Palomino trailer would come with TPMS installed. Would have to change out with the Ford ones?

ultimate tow package on the truck is the centre high mount camera and the trailer module that does your charging and some other stuff all on the truck i forget the list right now. the kit your talking about is bought separate. if you have the 20+ then you want the 20+ kit. it will have the camera, the tpms valve stems and sensors for 4 wheels (J type rims) and a yaw sensor i think it detects odd movement of the trailer and it can apply trailer brakes to help straighten you out. the 17- 20 kit is the camera and tpms parts no yaw sensor. you swap your valve stems out for the ford ones and then one part of the harness runs to under the trailer near the axles so the module will pickup the sensors then the other part of the harness runs to the camera.

Everything you've written about the yaw sensor is incorrect. The sensor comes as part of the Pro Trailer Backup Assist option and is used for gooseneck/fifth-wheel applications in place of the checkerboard sticker used on conventional trailers.

A gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer passes above the tailgate camera, rendering the sticker-based system useless. To make the system work with a gooseneck/fifth-wheel, it needs a data source. Enter the yaw sensor.

Yaw is a measurement of movement about an axis, which is ideal information to determine a trailer's angle relative to the truck. The sensor is placed onto the trailer and the system is then calibrated.

I wonder why my Palomino trailer would come with TPMS installed. Would have to change out with the Ford ones?

I'm not sure what type of system your Palomino uses, however this article states it's a mechanical system built into the valve stem caps:

"There is a tire pressure monitor in valve stems that change color when the pressure is off. Not the most ideal TPMS system, but better than none by a long shot."

Yes, you'll need to have the new sensors installed into your trailer's wheels.

Everything you've written about the yaw sensor is incorrect. The sensor comes as part of the Pro Trailer Backup Assist option and is used for gooseneck/fifth-wheel applications in place of the checkerboard sticker used on conventional trailers.

A gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer passes above the tailgate camera, rendering the sticker-based system useless. To make the system work with a gooseneck/fifth-wheel, it needs a data source. Enter the yaw sensor.

Yaw is a measurement of movement about an axis, which is ideal information to determine a trailer's angle relative to the truck. The sensor is placed onto the trailer and the system is then calibrated.
Interesting. I've never used the trailer backup feature and the yaw sensor was explained to me different but after looking into it you are definitely correct so I deleted my post

Back