Factory battery life ?

Billy Bob

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250
Went to start to start my little over 2 year 2020 and would start. Both batteries at 10 amps. I just replaced them with 2

Odyssey Battery 65-PC1750T Group Size 65 950 CCA​

I figured just over 2 years in the Texas heat it was time. The Odyssey s came with a 4 year warranty. The parts store said they never had a claim on this brand?

Anybody else replace their batteries and if so what did they go with?

BroncoHooves

Chief of Security
Reaction Points
Military
Former USAF
Current Ride
'22 F350 6.7L Lariat Tremor
I have these in my shopping cart still, the price has shot up from what it was. :D

catheadcatheadcathead

Melmoth the Wanderer
Reaction Points
Military
USMC
Current Ride
2021 F-350 Lariat 7.3L AMB Tremor
Current Ride #2
1991 Ford Explorer XLT w/350K+ miles
Went to start to start my little over 2 year 2020 and would start. Both batteries at 10 amps. I just replaced them with 2

I figured just over 2 years in the Texas heat it was time. The Odyssey s came with a 4 year warranty. The parts store said they never had a claim on this brand?

My batteries seem to be shot also. My 2021 is about 15 months old and I spend a lot of time in the hot desert. Recently my passenger side battery went dry and I had to fill it. Since then I can't really trust it. I can jump it to start but they batteries don't stay charged over night.

Top Notch

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2003 F350
Have you guys noticed anything staying on, running after the vehicle has been shut down? I had both batteries replaced under warranty earlier this year, after the pickup sat a week or so it wouldn't remote start. The rear map lights will stay on alot longer than the fronts. I've also noticed what sounds like fans in the headlights running an hour after the vehicle is off... after the 3rd trip to the dealer the map lights go out as supposed to and after sitting for 3 days it remote started like it used to. They did 3 software updates on it.

TellurideTremor

Founding Member
TOTM Winner
Tremor of the Year
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Lariat Tremor 7.3
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X7
Mine lasted 8 months. They tried to blame it on aftermarket lights and switch pros.

Ultimately Ford replaced it under warranty.

Gus

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
This seems to be a concern and one to watch for

I’ve never had a vehicle battery go bad what symptoms of a dying battery should I look for

When you hey die can you upgrade to AGM batteries as my Raptor came from the factory with a AGM battery

How about upgrading the amp hours cold cranking amps

I take it Odyssey are the recommended batteries

idrivea2022tremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor 7.3, 2002 VW Golf, 2001 Audi TT, 1991 Avanti, 1961 CJ5, 1993 Wrangler Sahara, 1988 Samurai
This will be interesting to see in my 22. I have batteries all over the place. The Optima red top in my VW is 13 years old, the Yellow top in my Suzuki is 8 years old. But I have batteries in some of my equipment that don't make 6 months. Trucks' are still going strong but they're only 7 months.

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
I’ve never had a vehicle battery go bad what symptoms of a dying battery should I look for
The ways you will generally see a weak battery are slow/long starts and the battery going dead over shorter periods of the truck not running. So basically signs that the battery isn't fully charged, even though it should be. When the battery truly dies, it will no longer accept a charge from the alternator. This is often mis-diagnosed by laymen as a bad alternator.

The other way to know the health of your battery is with a battery tester. Can either get it tested by a shop, or get a tester yourself. If you want to get your own tester, this is the one I picked up and I'm using it with every oil change since I'm doing those myself:

Here's the thread with all of the discussion that lead to me purchasing that specific tester:

There's tradeoffs between the different types of testers. The one I linked to is of the same type as the one used when a dealer does an oil change and general inspection, though they will have other testers that can do a load test which is the most accurate.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
The ways you will generally see a weak battery are slow/long starts and the battery going dead over shorter periods of the truck not running. So basically signs that the battery isn't fully charged, even though it should be. When the battery truly dies, it will no longer accept a charge from the alternator. This is often mis-diagnosed by laymen as a bad alternator.

The other way to know the health of your battery is with a battery tester. Can either get it tested by a shop, or get a tester yourself. If you want to get your own tester, this is the one I picked up and I'm using it with every oil change since I'm doing those myself:

Here's the thread with all of the discussion that lead to me purchasing that specific tester:

There's tradeoffs between the different types of testers. The one I linked to is of the same type as the one used when a dealer does an oil change and general inspection, though they will have other testers that can do a load test which is the most accurate.

Wow batteries are not simple plug and play anymore

Going to be studying up on them

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Wow batteries are not simple plug and play anymore

Going to be studying up on them
Eh, the batteries themselves are largely the same as always. Especially the factory batteries in these trucks, which are flooded lead acid. There's been significant development around them in the form of testers and on-board charging management, but the symptoms of a dying battery - low cranking power, more rapidly losing charge over time, and refusing to accept a charge - are the same as they've always been.

DIG

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Tremor
The past month or so I’ve been getting a Remote Features Disabled to Preserve Battery warning the next day after driving a significant amount of time. This makes me think that something isn’t charging or staying charged but I have had no physical indications from the truck that anything is wrong. The truck starts right up and no other problems.

Busa Dave

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor

I went with those. One of mine started to leak after only 3 months so they both went bye bye. Cannot have problems in the middle of nowhere... I cannot afford to take chances.

Jamie V

MR OCD
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor, Lariat Ultimate, Star White, BAP
Current Ride #2
1994 Ford Lightning

BroncoHooves

Chief of Security
Reaction Points
Military
Former USAF
Current Ride
'22 F350 6.7L Lariat Tremor
Warranty will cover it, but a leaking battery can wreak havoc on the cables and other hold down parts. I wouldn't want the dealer messing around and put new terminals on the existing cables.

Reactions: ccw

catheadcatheadcathead

Melmoth the Wanderer
Reaction Points
Military
USMC
Current Ride
2021 F-350 Lariat 7.3L AMB Tremor
Current Ride #2
1991 Ford Explorer XLT w/350K+ miles
I just had both batteries replaced under warranty in my 2021 Godzilla Tremor. They told me that "once one goes bad the other one will go bad also trying to compensate" (or something). I had the passenger side battery go dry and after refilling it was OK for a while but apparently the damage had been done and about a week later the truck needed a jump in the morning.

I drive in the hot Utah/Nevada desert and that probably was a factor for my batteries. 22K miles.

DanMan583

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor XLT 7.3L , Oxford White

Thats essentially the same one I bought for my truck. I bought the Northstar brand but they are essentially the same as the Odyssey branded Batteries. I don’t trust Factory Flooded Lead-Acid type batteries to last any more than 2 years. The OEM’s tend to buy the cheapest batteries that they can find.
And, Evidently they don’t even sell the Northstar brand anymore. I just checked online and everything is being sold under the Odyssey name now. 👍🏽

Jamie V

MR OCD
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor, Lariat Ultimate, Star White, BAP
Current Ride #2
1994 Ford Lightning
My motorcraft batteries have lasted over 10 years in all my vehicles. I wonder why you guys are only getting 2 years out of them? Are you running off the batteries a lot with the truck not running?

DanMan583

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor XLT 7.3L , Oxford White
My motorcraft batteries have lasted over 10 years in all my vehicles. I wonder why you guys are only getting 2 years out of them? Are you running off the batteries a lot with the truck not running?
Well, I can tell you that down in the Texas summers 2 of those is usually enough to kill the factory batteries. That’s been my experience anyways, so maybe geography plays a role as far as battery life goes. That’s why I’ve always switched to AGM batteries, they just seem to tolerate the temperature swings a lot better. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
B

Billy Bob

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250
Texas. Heat kills. There has to be a reason why cheap batteries only come with a 2 year warranty. And they always seem to die at the worst time.

Latest Discussions

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge