Pompey

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2018 Subaru Outback
Current Ride #2
1999 Subaru WRX Club Spec Evo 3
This didn’t end well.

The first rule of offroading is stay away from flooded roads and tracks. Last week I saw a B Double in North Queensland which looked like it had been swept of the road. In this video, the road base had obviously been washed away and once the trucks weight was on in it just fell away. Apparently he was on his way to the east coast from the north west to get a 5” diameter snorkel fitted. It’s the wet season right now and when it rains there it really rains hard.

It’s sad to hear but hopefully a lesson others can learn from.

Go to the 5 minute mark

Last edited:
To save folks some time, the actual story starts at about 5 mins in.

That’s brutal. :(

Also worth noting they did the right thing and walked the crossing before driving it.

To save folks some time, the actual story starts at about 5 mins in.
thanks, I should have mentioned that. A fair but if waffle, I skimmed through a fair bit of it.

thanks, I should have mentioned that. A fair but if waffle, I skimmed through a fair bit of it.
Understandable. Indeed it was a fair bit of waffling.

I think it also emphasizes the need to be prepared for the unknown, not the mistake on your part. Do everything right and things can still go wrong.

Skimming the rest of the video it seems they had a PLB they were able to activate, which allowed them to get help. That’s a fantastic lesson.

I think it also emphasizes the need to be prepared for the unknown, not the mistake on your part. Do everything right and things can still go wrong.

Skimming the rest of the video it seems they had a PLB they were able to activate, which allowed them to get help. That’s a fantastic lesson.
Indeed. Last time I went outback I took both a PLB and sat phone. Technology moves on though, and these days I’ll be taking a PLB and Starlink.

• Winner
Reactions: ccw
I never go anywhere offroad without a beacon on my chest. Even if the plan is in the truck only.

• Winner
Reactions: ccw
Indeed. Last time I went outback I took both a PLB and sat phone. Technology moves on though, and these days I’ll be taking a PLB and Starlink.

The In motion starlink is extremely interesting as is the suction cup thin mount solution, it would easily fit on the roof or even the hood

The In motion starlink is extremely interesting as is the suction cup thin mount solution, it would easily fit on the roof or even the hood
Yes, although I already have a Starlink and my dish isn’t suitable for that application. However, that’s ok as I can easily set it up as a portable unit once I arrive at a destination

Yes, although I already have a Starlink and my dish isn’t suitable for that application. However, that’s ok as I can easily set it up as a portable unit once I arrive at a destination

Back