F250 with high cap tow package = f350?

trevor1030

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F250 Roush, 14 Nissan GTR
Hi all

I got to some deep searching on the differences of the 250 versus the 350. I didn’t find much info other then people saying that if you get the high capacity tow package on the f250 it almost equals the f350? Is this correct? Or am I missing something.

I also mirrored my build on my f250 to an f350 and it was 2000$ cheaper which seems to make sense since the high cap package is around 2500$.

thanks in advance

On the Tremors specifically, the F250 and F350 are identical in effective, actual ability with regards to payload and towing capacity. They're the same trucks with different door jam stickers.

Legally they are two different animals with respect to payload and towing capacity. Depending on your intended uses, local licensing/registration concerns, and so forth, they are most certainly not the same.

On the Tremors specifically, the F250 and F350 are identical in effective, actual ability with regards to payload and towing capacity. They're the same trucks with different door jam stickers.

Legally they are two different animals with respect to payload and towing capacity. Depending on your intended uses, local licensing/registration concerns, and so forth, they are most certainly not the same.
I do not think that is true, the rear on the F350 has an extra leaf and load block, unless Tremors are different, but I don't think so.

Hi all

I got to some deep searching on the differences of the 250 versus the 350. I didn’t find much info other then people saying that if you get the high capacity tow package on the f250 it almost equals the f350? Is this correct? Or am I missing something.

I also mirrored my build on my f250 to an f350 and it was 2000$ cheaper which seems to make sense since the high cap package is around 2500$.

thanks in advance
F-250 Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity
$1,130 S4

Remove
The F-250 Trailer Tow Package – High Capacity is Available on XL, XLT, and LARIAT F-250 Models.

Requires:
• 6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel Engine
• Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) – XL SRW

Includes:
• Increase GCW on diesel engine from 23,500 lbs. to 30,000 lbs.
• Upgraded axle

Not available with:
• 10,000 GVWR/9,900 GVWR Package
• Pickup Box Delete

I do not think that is true, the rear on the F350 has an extra leaf and load block, unless Tremors are different, but I don't think so.
Of the several 250 Tremors I've compared to 350 Tremors, they all had identical leaf pack part # and both had the dana m275. These were all 7.3, not 6.7's.

Hi all

thanks in advance

The Tremor package is the first package that Ford has made that spans the F250 and F350 lineup in regards to suspension. In order to deliver the package both the diesel and gas Tremors share all the same suspension components regardless of options.

As you noted there are typically packages for the F250 to give it beefier Springs as well as the derate stickers for both the F250 and F350.

An F350 vs F250 tremor will always have a higher sticker by almost 700 lbs. The gas has a higher payload than the diesel but the diesel can tow a bit more total weight. There is a thread where everyone posted their load stickers.

My F250 7.3 has a sticker for ~2750 lbs of payload. if ti was a F350 I would expect about ~3400 lbs of payload and there would be 0 part differences

edited with the GVRW from below

Last edited:
The 250 and 350 Tremor (given the same engine choice) are mechanically identical because the 250 requires the high capacity tow package. The only difference is the gross vehicle weight rating (250 diesel: 10,800 lbs, 350 diesel: 11,500 lbs). This difference means an identical configuration of the 350 diesel will have a 700 lb higher payload. Gas units have different GVWRs but I think the difference is the same.

Some states (cough: California) require a higher registration fee and that you stop at weigh stations if you have GVWR of 11,500 lbs or greater. If your state doesn’t have that, then the 350 is pretty much always the better choice just because of potential resale and higher ratings for the same equipment (future proofing).

For 20MY, it was $1000 more for the 350 and (for some reason) you couldn’t select the power deployable running board option on the 350 tremor on the build and price tool. I live in CA and while I could live with the higher registration, I didn’t want to stop at all the weigh stations when I want to road trip... so I have a 250 diesel.

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited:
Why ~110# actual vehicle weight difference between the similarly equipped F350 and F250 Tremor 7.3L ? I haven't seen dealers around here with both F350/250 Tremors on the lot to compare. I ended up ordering a F250 due to CDL laws in my State. I really wanted the extra payload of the F350, but figured I could compromise. It would be nice if the only difference is the "sticker".

" I live in CA and while I could live with the higher registration, I didn’t want to stop at all the weigh stations when I want to road trip... so I have a 250 diesel" - CalTremor

If they don't stop the gangbangers doing 90 between LA and Oakland on I-5 I'm not gonna stop at no damn scales in my 11,500 lb F350.

And if they make me pay for commercial registration I sure as hell ain't putting no damn 'commercial' sticker on my rig!

" I live in CA and while I could live with the higher registration, I didn’t want to stop at all the weigh stations when I want to road trip... so I have a 250 diesel" - CalTremor

If they don't stop the gangbangers doing 90 between LA and Oakland on I-5 I'm not gonna stop at no damn scales in my 11,500 lb F350.

And if they make me pay for commercial registration I sure as hell ain't putting no damn 'commercial' sticker on my rig!
That’s basically what my father told me to do. If you don’t put the CVRA stickers on the truck, there isn’t much reason for them to stop you. However, I know myself and I’d worry all the time...

Listen to your dad! :)
CA just wants their money. They got it and now they can stuff their bureaucratic bullshit.

Quite a while ago I bought a very expensive piece of German equipment directly from their importer/distributor in S Carolina. Two years later CA came after me for the sales tax! My lawyer told me to ignore them, which I did. Then they went after them in S Carolina!
I forget but I think they caved and paid it. So phukked up. You spend YOUR money to create jobs here and all the state wants is their cut. It's no wonder CA is consistently ranked the worst state to do business in.

Last edited:
I went with the F250 6.7 because the f350 would have killed me on Reg fees. plus I tow tractors and dump trailers all over the state and did not want to deal with the state moronic reasoning of why they charge more for the weight of the f350...this trucks tows anything I put behind it. You do not know heavy shit is behind you most of the time. Yes I live in Cal...not by choice...or I would have gotten the f350 just because...My Ram dually was going to cost me almost 1400 a year, so she went bye bye for a 17 f250...and with the airbags on it she towed everything and anything...the tremor tows just as well with not bags on it.

The F350 6.7 Tremor with the 5th wheel prep package has an additional crossmember brace that the F250 does not have. For registration purposes the F350 will cost more, has a higher gvwr and in theory by DOT regs can handle and tow more

My Tremor (I am repeating myself now for the 37th time...sorry)....was built day 2 of Super Duty production 5 November 2019. I didn't even know what I really bought. But after more than a year of ownership...and having this discussion for the 5th or 6th time. We have counted crossmembers, crawled under and photographed suspension part numbers, video'd a 250 7.3 next to a 350 6.7...and on and on....AND on.........

Here is what we found over 1 year. There are 3 differences between a F250 Tremor and a F350 Tremor of the same engine type. The fender Badge, the numbers written on the yellow cargo capacity sticker, and the numbers written on the white GVWR sticker.

There are a couple of differences between a 6.7 and a 7.3. The engine, the front coils, and the trailer hitch.

Those are the facts. I might have missed something between different engines..........but a F250 Tremor is the same Truck as a F350 Tremor.

My Tremor (I am repeating myself now for the 37th time...sorry)....was built day 2 of Super Duty production 5 November 2019. I didn't even know what I really bought. But after more than a year of ownership...and having this discussion for the 5th or 6th time. We have counted crossmembers, crawled under and photographed suspension part numbers, video'd a 250 7.3 next to a 350 6.7...and on and on....AND on.........

Here is what we found over 1 year. There are 3 differences between a F250 Tremor and a F350 Tremor of the same engine type. The fender Badge, the numbers written on the yellow cargo capacity sticker, and the numbers written on the white GVWR sticker.

There are a couple of differences between a 6.7 and a 7.3. The engine, the front coils, and the trailer hitch.

Those are the facts. I might have missed something between different engines..........but a F250 Tremor is the same Truck as a F350 Tremor.

Seconded and thirded.

It doesn't matter what we think the differences are it's what the lawyers and komrades in Sacramento think.

A master ford tech at the Minnesota Ford dealership I ordered from, said F350 Tremor 6.7 with the 5th wheel prep has an additional crossmember brace and sturdier frame than the f250 6.7 or 7.3 or 7.3 F350. I questioned whether that was true but figured since he has worked for Ford for 23 years, he knows more than me.
According to him, on paper, the highest capacity Tremor for gvwr and towing is a F350 6.7 Tremor with the 5th wheel prep NO SUNROOF.

I guess for the record, Indiana does the same thing - registration fee is 4x, will likely need to stop at weigh stations if towing, etc. So the whole "GVWR over 11k pounds pays a lot more money" isn't a California specific thing. Or even a Blue state thing.

Back