F250 warn winch alternator?

trevor1030

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F250 Roush, 14 Nissan GTR
Hi all i have a 2021 f250, it has the snow plow package, but doesnt seem like it has the 397 hd alternator (6.7 Diesel)

Anyways i wanted to order the ford performance warn winch but im not sure if i can with the smaller snow plow alternator? If it cant be ran with that alternator does anyone know if i can swap it out for the 397 hd alternator?

Thanks

You got a Tremor with snow plow package? ?

wpKf8RI.png

You got a Tremor with snow plow package? ?

wpKf8RI.png
Unfortunately I had ordered a tremor took 16 weeks and it arrived damaged. They told me I couldn’t order another 2021 as the books were closed. Unfortunately I couldn’t wait for a 2022 even though I placed an order. But I found a 2021 roush with what I wanted. So I’m hoping to go under the radar on the tremor forum ? please don’t kick me out!

Unfortunately I had ordered a tremor took 16 weeks and it arrived damaged. They told me I couldn’t order another 2021 as the books were closed. Unfortunately I couldn’t wait for a 2022 even though I placed an order. But I found a 2021 roush with what I wanted. So I’m hoping to go under the radar on the tremor forum ? please don’t kick me out!
What was the damage? Curious if the dealer fixed it and sold it.

Hi all i have a 2021 f250, it has the snow plow package, but doesnt seem like it has the 397 hd alternator (6.7 Diesel)

Anyways i wanted to order the ford performance warn winch but im not sure if i can with the smaller snow plow alternator? If it cant be ran with that alternator does anyone know if i can swap it out for the 397 hd alternator?

Thanks
There’s been other threads on the forum addressing adding the winch without the dual batteries or the right alternator. In summary: it seems most, if not all, dealers won’t order the winch without verifying your truck has the right setup.

On the other hand, lots of folks have experience using winches with far weaker batteries and alternators on a variety of rigs without issue, so it seems like the hard requirement is overkill. If you can get ahold of the winch and get it installed (potentially without involving a dealer), definitely let us know!

You can also inquire about getting your truck’s alternators upgraded by the dealer as part of the winch purchase/install; however, the upgrade cost may be prohibitive. Worth noting that you can’t strictly do the alternator upgrade yourself as it requires computer programming changes.

What was the damage? Curious if the dealer fixed it and sold it.
This is the link,

The dealer did indeed fix the truck and I told them I didn’t want it. I called the body shop they used and they told me they don’t have that color from Ford. But the tried to assure me it would be paint matched to perfection with sherwin William paint... I thought that was insanity. Idk maybe I am picky. But 90k+ truck I was pissed

There’s been other threads on the forum addressing adding the winch without the dual batteries or the right alternator. In summary: it seems most, if not all, dealers won’t order the winch without verifying your truck has the right setup.

On the other hand, lots of folks have experience using winches with far weaker batteries and alternators on a variety of rigs without issue, so it seems like the hard requirement is overkill. If you can get ahold of the winch and get it installed (potentially without involving a dealer), definitely let us know!

You can also inquire about getting your truck’s alternators upgraded by the dealer as part of the winch purchase/install; however, the upgrade cost may be prohibitive. Worth noting that you can’t strictly do the alternator upgrade yourself as it requires computer programming changes.
Appreciate it I am probably gonna order one and have my local shop I use install it, it seems hard to find but I found a few dealers who have it in stock. Will definitely update the post once it’s installed.

Appreciate it I am probably gonna order one and have my local shop I use install it, it seems hard to find but I found a few dealers who have it in stock. Will definitely update the post once it’s installed.
Awesome! And the tip I’ve seen for using the winch with a potentially weak alternator (at least by Ford’s standards) is to make sure to give the winch regular breaks if using it hard.

Not only is that good for letting your battery recover, it’s good and recommended for the winch itself as it lets it cool down.

I would have to imagine it's all about warranty. How many jeeps do you see running winches off the stock battery and alternator. I don't think it's a functionality issue but rather a longevity issue. running a winch puts a strain on the charging system and I'm sure Ford didn't want to have to deal with alternator replacement claims so they require a higher "capacity" alternator. My guess.

Back