F250 vs F350 Tremor Suspension

Please Tremor owners - do not shoot each other - in Texas or anywhere else.

I priced two identically equipped Diesel, Lariat Sport/Ultimate Tremors and the difference between and F350 and F250 in an $80K build is less than $1K.

For two identically configured FX4s, the price difference between F250/F350 is less than $400.

I dont get why everyone is so concerned about this either.

If you need the payload sticker buy a 350.

If you dont, still buy the 350 because a 250 is just pointless.
Some people like me, bought the 70k+ truck, see the rating and start learning how much they can haul with their new truck. Then you realize that you’ve been a little screwed on your big investment you ordered that looked so pretty that took so long to get in after ordering. My rating is less than 2500 pounds with my six seat tremor 250.

im wondering if ANYONE out there has had success rerating a 250... I’ve seen success with a 350

Some people like me, bought the 70k+ truck, see the rating and start learning how much they can haul with their new truck. Then you realize that you’ve been a little screwed on your big investment you ordered that looked so pretty that took so long to get in after ordering. My rating is less than 2500 pounds with my six seat tremor 250.

im wondering if ANYONE out there has had success rerating a 250... I’ve seen success with a 350
2500 is a LOT of pizza

I seen a 250 tremor with a 7.3 today and it had the 2.5” hitch reciever. Does the 350 diesel have the 3” Or do all tremors get the 2.5”? Thought I seen some posts of guys talking about getting the 3” adapters. Might this be a difference?

I seen a 250 tremor with a 7.3 today and it had the 2.5” hitch reciever. Does the 350 diesel have the 3” Or do all tremors get the 2.5”? Thought I seen some posts of guys talking about getting the 3” adapters. Might this be a difference?
The 7.3Ls Tremors get the 2.5” and 6.7Ls Tremors get the 3”.

The gas is rated to tow 15k and has the 2.5"
Diesel is 21k and a 3"

The gas also has 4.30 gears but the same size rear end. That coupled with the different motor seems to be the difference in tow capacity but the bed capacity between the two motors seems to be close with some gas models being higher than diesel based on options.

The gas is rated to tow 15k and has the 2.5"
Diesel is 21k and a 3"

The gas also has 4.30 gears but the same size rear end. That coupled with the different motor seems to be the difference in tow capacity but the bed capacity between the two motors seems to be close with some gas models being higher than diesel based on options.
The 2.5” hitch capacity was uped to 18200 on the 21s vs 15200 on the 20s. But if following the towing guides for the 2020 or 2021 max conventional towing is limited to 15K on all Tremors even though the hitches may be rated for more. There is some speculation that the smaller front sway bar on the Tremor is why Ford only rates max conventional at 15K for all gas diesel, 250, 350 Tremors. Haven’t been able to confirm that but makes sense to me. With a goose or 5er max rated towing is higher at 17500 to 21900 depending on configuration.

the 2021 Ford F-250 can tow the same as the F-350 with the ultimate tow pkg. do we agree on that? (It is in the specs) Payload is a different story. Tremor are a different breed.

The 2.5” hitch capacity was uped to 18200 on the 21s vs 15200 on the 20s. But if following the towing guides for the 2020 or 2021 max conventional towing is limited to 15K on all Tremors even though the hitches may be rated for more. There is some speculation that the smaller front sway bar on the Tremor is why Ford only rates max conventional at 15K for all gas diesel, 250, 350 Tremors. Haven’t been able to confirm that but makes sense to me. With a goose or 5er max rated towing is higher at 17500 to 21900 depending on configuration.
I have heard this repeated often. But in the manual and the towing guide I got the same answer for diesels. Also if they are limited to 15k why does the diesel have a 3" hitch and the gas have a 2.5". They would both use the same hitch if that were the case. Also the diesel has the "high capacity tow package" added automatically.

The plaque on the diesel hitch states 21k also and a typical 3" receiver can be rated as high as 30k with a 3/4 pin but the diesel pin is intentionally only 5/8". Makes me think that's very intentional since you don't slap a sticker on something that has a weight rating and then I'm some other manual that doesn't come with the truck, state that it is less.

Not trying to argue but love a good debate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-221425.png
    Screenshot_20210128-221425.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210128-221541.png
    Screenshot_20210128-221541.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-223019.png
    Screenshot_20210128-223019.png
    677.2 KB · Views: 52
This is like such old news.....all Ford Superdutys that are Tremors are the same truck.........and the best truck on this and other planets....have a nice day.....lol

I have heard this repeated often. But in the manual and the towing guide I got the same answer for diesels. Also if they are limited to 15k why does the diesel have a 3" hitch and the gas have a 2.5". They would both use the same hitch if that were the case. Also the diesel has the "high capacity tow package" added automatically.

The plaque on the diesel hitch states 21k also and a typical 3" receiver can be rated as high as 30k with a 3/4 pin but the diesel pin is intentionally only 5/8". Makes me think that's very intentional since you don't slap a sticker on something that has a weight rating and then I'm some other manual that doesn't come with the truck, state that it is less.

Not trying to argue but love a good debate
I’ll bite on the debate. Using the logic of the hitch rating is good for X so the truck is good for it could hold up on the higher GVWC option trucks but definitely doesn’t hold up on the lower non Tremors where the 2021 2.5” hitch is rated at 18200 which would leave only a 5300Lb or less truck weight to stay under owners manual GVWC. That is not happening with a CCSB without a major diet on the truck. Why rate the 2.5” hitch to 18,200 lb on those? Why not offer a different sticker for each case that matches the towing guide? Kind of goes back to why offer a F250 or F350 Tremor if they are physically the same other than a badge and capacity sticker.

In the owners manual it does refer to the online towing guide for additional information on ratings.
F00352C9-E319-4DEB-9D8F-7414F99B0E99.jpeg

I think it is crummy on Fords part to reference a different sources especially when it is not giving with the truck. Does make it difficult to really know what the maximum towing is. Even worse for us 7.3L F350 owners the manual GVWC (28000) which is different than the towing guide (27500). Unfortunately with today’s litigious culture if something does happen over the guide rate 15K conventional but under the hitch rating on the higher rated hitches it is going to gain the attorneys some major billable hours defending the documentation vs rating stickers.

I’ll bite on the debate. Using the logic of the hitch rating is good for X so the truck is good for it could hold up on the higher GVWC option trucks but definitely doesn’t hold up on the lower non Tremors where the 2021 2.5” hitch is rated at 18200 which would leave only a 5300Lb or less truck weight to stay under owners manual GVWC. That is not happening with a CCSB without a major diet on the truck. Why rate the 2.5” hitch to 18,200 lb on those? Why not offer a different sticker for each case that matches the towing guide? Kind of goes back to why offer a F250 or F350 Tremor if they are physically the same other than a badge and capacity sticker.

In the owners manual it does refer to the online towing guide for additional information on ratings.
View attachment 15623
I think it is crummy on Fords part to reference a different sources especially when it is not giving with the truck. Does make it difficult to really know what the maximum towing is. Even worse for us 7.3L F350 owners the manual GVWC (28000) which is different than the towing guide (27500). Unfortunately with today’s litigious culture if something does happen over the guide rate 15K conventional but under the hitch rating on the higher rated hitches it is going to gain the attorneys some major billable hours defending the documentation vs rating stickers.
I agree that the ambiguously worded information only works in someone's favor if something goes wrong. The towing guide also says the heavy duty towing package is 21k but then right under it lists tremors as 15k. The diesel motor is both so which is more relevant? Which brings it back to the label on the vehicle. With the diesel having a 21k and the gas label saying 15k. I can't speak to the 2021 trucks but we are certain of this on the 2020s.

Also brings me back to why they even put different hitches in them. We already determined in other threads that super duty frames per wheel base start out the same. At some point the hitch gets added and at that time they vehicle has a build sheet.

It's entirely possible that the towing guide has a misprint or is not worded well. The only two times this will matter is if you get pulled over towing above max weight. In that case I believe highway patrol will go with the ratings found on the vehicle. The other instance would be an accident with lawsuit and in this case the weight isn't clearly stated like we mentioned. Most of us won't be able to tow legally over 10k and few of us can go over 15k based on license anyways.

As for the true difference as why it would be less than 21k I doubt a front sway bar plays into the issue for a 6k difference. The two main factors would be tongue weight and drive component ability. Which should be in favor of the diesel.

Also on a personal note, if we didn't get more tow capacity with a diesel option then many of us just spent an extra $10k for.......?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-063920.png
    Screenshot_20210129-063920.png
    896.4 KB · Views: 34
I agree that the ambiguously worded information only works in someone's favor if something goes wrong. The towing guide also says the heavy duty towing package is 21k but then right under it lists tremors as 15k. The diesel motor is both so which is more relevant? Which brings it back to the label on the vehicle. With the diesel having a 21k and the gas label saying 15k. I can't speak to the 2021 trucks but we are certain of this on the 2020s.

Also brings me back to why they even put different hitches in them. We already determined in other threads that super duty frames per wheel base start out the same. At some point the hitch gets added and at that time they vehicle has a build sheet.

It's entirely possible that the towing guide has a misprint or is not worded well. The only two times this will matter is if you get pulled over towing above max weight. In that case I believe highway patrol will go with the ratings found on the vehicle. The other instance would be an accident with lawsuit and in this case the weight isn't clearly stated like we mentioned. Most of us won't be able to tow legally over 10k and few of us can go over 15k based on license anyways.

As for the true difference as why it would be less than 21k I doubt a front sway bar plays into the issue for a 6k difference. The two main factors would be tongue weight and drive component ability. Which should be in favor of the diesel.

Also on a personal note, if we didn't get more tow capacity with a diesel option then many of us just spent an extra $10k for.......?
To your point about sway bars.
Gotta remember that TREMORs don’t have a Rear Sway bar. That is also considered a Spring. So that could be why the Tremor has lower Tow ratings. The rear sway bar was specifically excluded to increase off-road “articulation” if I’m correct.

Gotta remember that TREMORs don’t have a Rear Sway bar. That is also considered a Spring. So that could be why the Tremor has lower Tow ratings. The rear sway bar was specifically excluded to increase off-road “articulation” if I’m correct.
I don't think the rear sway bar plays a part because none of the SRW trucks come as default with a rear sway bar. It's only installed if you order it with the camper package... so it's not Tremor specific to not have a rear sway bar.

Yes but they are sprung for rotation resistance and not for load in the vertical sense. Both ends of the bar will not resist going the same direction only opposing rotational directions. It will add to stability but I doubt to the 6k level.

Still goes back to what is the more limiting option? Heavy duty tow package or tremor package. Sticker on the vehicle and option package in the build both match for the diesel at 21k (ish, because none of the tow guide seems to be in line with the other numbers published)

Also the diesel tremor is only 1k less as a gooseneck then non tremor which is limited by the hitch max capacity.

I think they should be very clear and label the vehicles exactly what weights they can carry. Very surprising there is conflicting information.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-072913.png
    Screenshot_20210129-072913.png
    1 MB · Views: 14

The privlage to say you have a Diesel :ROFLMAO:. A conventional trailer does induce quite a bit more sway than the goose/5er counterparts so it may have more to do with it than you think. I have towed close to 18k with a CCLB diesel with both pintle hitch trailer and goose trailers depending on what the rental place had. Sway is drastically less in the goose. I do wish my truck had the 3” hitch and a guide rating over 15K since if a goose is not availableI for rent don’t need to burrow my buddies CCLB to pick up equipment for property maintenance.

When towing conventional tongue weight is in the diesel favor due to 3” hitch. Moving to goes/ 5er the 4:30 axle ratio has a slightly higher weight rating and coupled with a lighter truck it can take more weight before going over axle sticker rating. Max towing between the two is a pretty small gap in that case. In reality with a 5er RV The 350 Tremor gas will be likely be able to legally pull a heavier trailer since pin weight is the limiting factor on those not total weight (20-25% of total weight) which is only around a 16k loaded trailer or less. For those cases with a F350 the extra 500-600 lbs of payload in the gas comes in to play. In reality will the gas out tow a diesel, no, but when high pin weight comes in to play it has a advantage being 800is lbs lighter and total GVWR is only 200lbs less than the diesel counterpart. Now if you are conventional only or hauling equipment where pin weight can be better controlled that is not a issue.

I don't think the rear sway bar plays a part because none of the SRW trucks come as default with a rear sway bar. It's only installed if you order it with the camper package... so it's not Tremor specific to not have a rear sway bar.
I am taking front bar which is smaller on the Tremor.

Back