F250 vs F350 Tremor Suspension

In the truck world its called derating. Its a loop hole truck manufactirers use to get more sales and serve a larger audience with the same truck. Federal Motor Carrier FMCA states any commercially registered truck with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs requires the driver to have a DOT physical every two years and carry the card, they are also subject to keep drivers logs, and stop at weigh stations.

I've seen this before with 33,000 GVWR being derated to 26,000. Same truck, one requires a CDL the other does not.

Keep in mind, although they are technically the same, your payload matters if stopped by the State Police or DOT inspections scale. Everyone here registering non commercial need not worry about a DOT physical but you do not become exempt from exceeding your registered GVWR.

Last edited:
You didn't read the article, did you?

Come man, it even had pretty pictures.

Thanks, thats an interesting article about the suspension, but if you look closely they dont seem to have any pictures of the F250 Tremor suspension. My F250 looks identical to the F350 in those pics so not sure where he is getting his info.

Edit: I do see that it is comparing diesel and gas now, that looks like it could be the main difference, good info.

Last edited:
So here's an article outlining the actual and legit differences that exist between the F250 and the F350, and how those frames interact with both the Tremor package and engine choice.

To summarize, there's a combination of factors that are involved, none of which equates to the two trucks being identical except for a badge or sticker.
Interesting read but not sure how much stock I would put in to the gas reference since they refer to the Standard F250 3 pack leaf springs and the Sterling axle.
There are countless posts showing the gas F250 Tremor with the Dana rear and 5 pack springs. I have yet to see pictures of stock Superduty Tremor in any configuration without a Dana M275 rear axle and 5 pack springs. https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/f350-vs-f250-rear-springs.918/ is a good thread showing the same rear springs on all Tremors that posted debunking the claim on the F250 Tremor gas rear suspension in the article.

The 5th wheel/goose neck tow rating is higher on the F350 Tremor SRW than the F250. The bed of the F350 can handle more weight. The conventional rear towing is the same in both F250 & F350 because they use the same physical hitch. It is maxed out in both trucks.

Last edited:
In the truck world its called derating. Its a loop hole truck manufactirers use to get more sales and serve a larger audience with the same truck. Federal Motor Carrier FMCA states any commercially registered truck with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs requires the driver to have a DOT physical every two years and carry the card, they are also subject to keep drivers logs, and stop at weigh stations.

I've seen this before with 33,000 GVWR being derated to 26,000. Same truck, one requires a CDL the other does not.

Keep in mind, although they are technically the same, your payload matters if stopped by the State Police or DOT inspections scale. Everyone here registering non commercial need not worry about a DOT physical but you do not become exempt from exceeding your registered GVWR.
Under rated comment and this is most likely the exact reasoning when all is said and done. As a CDL holder I can attest to that. Doesn't matter what the hardware is in the eyes of the law the ratings matter.

If you don't believe me, look at a standard super duty that has an option to have the gvw reduced to 9900(?, May be off a bit on the number) and how much they charge for that option. I thought it's $100 and do you honestly think they change the hardware on the truck to make it carry less weight? No they just replace the sticker so your registration, fees and limits are within that range of not being commerical.

Last edited:
The 5th wheel/goose neck tow rating is higher on the F350 Tremor SRW than the F250. The bed of the F350 can handle more weight. The conventional rear towing is the same in both F250 & F350 because they use the same physical hitch. It is maxed out in both trucks.
Only higher because the sticker says it can be. I wish Fords parts website was a bit more user friendly, you can see that a lot of the parts are universal across all lines. Do a part search by your vin number of anything you think that could be different and usually within the part description it will say fits all f250-450.... Or whatever. I know this isn't definitive but I couldn't find differences.

This is going to be my last comment since I have (and many others) been driving/installing shit on my truck since 15 January.

The F250 Tremor and the F350 Tremor have the same: Interior, Body, Frame, Engines, Tranny, Drive line components, Front springs, Front Shocks, Front suspension components, Rear springs, Rear Shocks, Rear suspension Components, paint, Wheels, tires, brakes, accessories, Weight, dimensions, gas tank, wiring harnesses, computer modules, sound system, grill, air filter, oil filter, tire pressure, fuel requirement, radio antenna, camera system, fifth wheel prep components, hitch, headlights, tail lights, bumpers, axels, differentials, gears, capacities, specifications, running boards, Options, and...ANY.....absolutely ANY AFTER MARKET PART OR ACCESSORY. Finally there is one thing besides the fender badge that is different: The owners.

Now pick a component that you think might not be the same and call your local ford dealer and ask him for the part number for a 250 Tremor or a 350 Tremor. And keep calling and asking........and asking,,,,, till the parts guy finally gets frustrated and tells you what I am thinking right now!
If that is the case how do you explain the same Listed GVWC of 30,000 lbs on the diesel 250 and 350 Tremors?

For those of us who need the extra payload sticker we are going to pay extra for it weather or not they are essentially the same truck. From a manufacturing and stocking standpoint it makes more sense to use as many of the same parts as possible between trucks. The engineer in me is curious but suspects really no physical difference besides badges and GVWR sticker.
If that is the case how do you explain the same Listed GVWC of 30,000 lbs on the diesel 250 and 350 Tremors?

For those of us who need the extra payload sticker we are going to pay extra for it weather or not they are essentially the same truck. From a manufacturing and stocking standpoint it makes more sense to use as many of the same parts as possible between trucks. The engineer in me is curious but suspects really no physical difference besides badges and GVWR sticker.
GCWR = 30,000#
The conventional hitch towing is the same for the F250 vs F350 because the standard hitch used on both won't handle any more weight.
The F350
Only higher because the sticker says it can be. I wish Fords parts website was a bit more user friendly, you can see that a lot of the parts are universal across all lines. Do a part search by your vin number of anything you think that could be different and usually within the part description it will say fits all f250-450.... Or whatever. I know this isn't definitive but I couldn't find differences.
More brackets or cross members with the same part number will support more weight.

The link doesn't work for me. I don't doubt that but we have to get to the bottom of this now. Need people to post pictures of the frame. Need one of each, gas/diesel, F250/350 non goose neck or modified. And since it's going to come up may as well measure them for thickness.

I don't doubt you may be right. But if they have the same combined weight and arguably each truck dry weighs really close to the same. Then a f250 diesel could tow a 21k trailer plus it's dry weight plus the balance of those numbers in the bed. But a F350 can max it's bed weight plus it's dry weight and not tow a 21k trailer. The telling part to me is that they both have the same gcvw. And the door sticker or difference really comes down to he down rated for gvw.

Just my thoughts until we see pictures of the extra/bigger cross members.

GCWR = 30,000#
The conventional hitch towing is the same for the F250 vs F350 because the standard hitch used on both won't handle any more weight.
The F350

More brackets or cross members with the same part number will support more weight.
Why is it so important to you not to have the same suspension rear axle?
For me its not hard to understand that Ford wanted to put a heavier duty rear axle into the Tremor package to allow for more performance off road. Why create something new when they had a heavy duty set up in the 350?

Do you want a discount 350 Tremor pack because its not upgraded as much as the 250? I would be fine with that if the 250 Tremor got the same cargo weight sticker/legality as the 350 do...

I dont get why everyone is so concerned about this either.

If you need to payload sticker buy a 350.

If you dont, still buy the 350 becuase a 250 is just pointless.
Mostly bored and curious.

The 250 isn't pointless as it circumvents a few commercial requirements in some states as mentioned in these comparative threads and was actually cheaper for my insurance. Don't ever need to tow a 5th wheel, I saved more than a few bucks on the cost of the truck, registration and insurance so the 250 is perfect for me.

I love the idea it's an over built truck for my needs, this is one hell of a dead horse beating tho, LOL.

Last edited:
The 250 isn't pointless as it circumvents a few commercial requirements in some states as mentioned in these comparative threads and was actually cheaper for my insurance. Don't ever need to tow a 5th wheel, I saved more than a few bucks on the cost of the truck, registration and insurance so the 250 is perfect for me.

I love the idea it's an over built truck for my needs, this is on hell of a dead horse beating tho, LOL.
Imagine if we could get the 250 with all of its benefits with the payload of the 350 by just purchasing Tremor....That would be sweet!

Imagine if we could get the 250 with all of its benefits with the payload of the 350 by just purchasing Tremor....That would be sweet!
Spending 4000 to save 1000. Lol! But in all supply chain and product management having common parts for option packages makes sense and is cost effective. Creating 2x the SKU nu.bers just makes production slow down so it makes perfect sense that all superduty SRW start out the same and end with a 250 or 350 badge depending on the suspension setup. And for the first time there is a package that spans both models so just KISS and give the suspension package to both the 250 and 350. Not worth hiring the tremor production line parts sorter to make mistakes every time he comes in hungover on Friday morning.

Spending 4000 to save 1000. Lol! But in all supply chain and product management having common parts for option packages makes sense and is cost effective. Creating 2x the SKU nu.bers just makes production slow down so it makes perfect sense that all superduty SRW start out the same and end with a 250 or 350 badge depending on the suspension setup. And for the first time there is a package that spans both models so just KISS and give the suspension package to both the 250 and 350. Not worth hiring the tremor production line parts sorter to make mistakes every time he comes in hungover on Friday morning.
I paid $4k and did not get the $1k sticker....

From the rear cross member just above the spare tire (measuring from the front) to the next cross member under the front of the bed is 47" with no other members where an extra one would probably be located. Nothing under the area where the goose neck would go. Also interesting note is that to put a cross member there would require moving the exhaust most likely.

6.7 F250
IMG_20200921_131558.jpg

I lied......One more comment Yukon Bush is right: 250 is pointless unless you live in liberal land and the 350 is gonna cost you thousands in taxes.

The two Trucks are Identical except for the rating and the fender badge PERIOD. Buy the 350!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back