J1mb0

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
2018 F250 6.7
Hello Tremor community!

First post from a hopefully soon to be Tremor owner. I'm currently in a 2018 F250 6.7 which is in the process of being bought back by Ford (long story but very happy Ford is stepping up) I'm searching for Tremors but they are in very short supply in SoCal right now. This time around, I am seriously considering giving the new 7.3 gas version a shot. Which leads me to my question. Can the F250 7.3 Tremor be had with a 3" receiver? I've seen conflicting info on this. The 2.5" tongue weight rating of 1500 lbs. is under what I need for my Toy hauler. Not sure why ford didn't decide to use the 3" receivers all the way around on the Tremor models as the reducer allows great flexibility. If I can't get a 3" receiver in the F250 7.3, I'm going to stick with the 6.7 as I will get hosed on a F350 with a GVWR of 11,500 for registration and insurance here in good old California. It doesn't appear the F350 Tremor has a 11,400 lb. de-rate option.

Thanks for any info!

Jim

What is the tongue weight and overall weight of your TH? My 7.3 F250 with 10K GVWR has a payload of a bit over 3k lbs so I would think it could handle it. You may be able to swap a 3"receiver in for the 2.5", I am not sure but it should bolt right up, maybe ask your dealer to throw it in the deal.

What is the tongue weight and overall weight of your TH? My 7.3 F250 with 10K GVWR has a payload of a bit over 3k lbs so I would think it could handle it. You may be able to swap a 3"receiver in for the 2.5", I am not sure but it should bolt right up, maybe ask your dealer to throw it in the deal.
Thanks for the info! My tongue weight varies depending on my cargo. With my side by side in the back it's at 1500 lbs, with no cargo it's up around 1900. The trailer weight is approximately 10,000 with no cargo and 12,200 with cargo.

Hello Tremor community!

First post from a hopefully soon to be Tremor owner. I'm currently in a 2018 F250 6.7 which is in the process of being bought back by Ford (long story but very happy Ford is stepping up) I'm searching for Tremors but they are in very short supply in SoCal right now. This time around, I am seriously considering giving the new 7.3 gas version a shot. Which leads me to my question. Can the F250 7.3 Tremor be had with a 3" receiver? I've seen conflicting info on this. The 2.5" tongue weight rating of 1500 lbs. is under what I need for my Toy hauler. Not sure why ford didn't decide to use the 3" receivers all the way around on the Tremor models as the reducer allows great flexibility. If I can't get a 3" receiver in the F250 7.3, I'm going to stick with the 6.7 as I will get hosed on a F350 with a GVWR of 11,500 for registration and insurance here in good old California. It doesn't appear the F350 Tremor has a 11,400 lb. de-rate option.

Thanks for any info!

Jim

What I saw at the local dealership this morning. They have a black one and a white one in stock. I was driving to work and I thought my truck arrived early, but this one was missing the clearance lights and power running boards and adaptive steering. This is DCH Ford in Thousand Oaks, CA - This sticker is $81,400

IMG_5589.jpg

Thanks for the tip! The Sport package looks sweet but it sure is pricey. I'd be happy with a Lariat ultimate minus the sport but beggars can't be choosers!

Where are you getting the information for the max tongue weight? I don't have the 7.3 but I stuck with a 2.5" hitch system. The 2.5" hitch I went with has a max of 21k and 3k tongue.
The max gcwr for the 7.3 is 26000 lbs and the 6.7 is 30000 lbs. Most of the load capacities I have seen for the 7.3 are near 3k load.
While mine does have a 3" receiver the vehicle is not capable of hauling anything above the 2.5" equipment I bought. Also interestingly it has a 3" but the pin is 5/8 with a max load of 21k. I am curious why they even went with a 3".

Also there is an option to limit the gvw to 10000 lbs for the 350 and 9900 for 250. But the only rated difference I can see for 250vs350 is the 350 has a higher cargo limit but both have a gcwr of 30k for 6.7 engines.

Look at the sticker on the back side of your 2.5” receiver. I believe all the 2.5” receivers are rated at 1500 lbs. and the 3” receivers are rated at 2120 lbs. per the Ford trailer towing selector guide. Post a pic of your sticker if possible.
F11B9E6A-AE41-471A-9A42-65CCA6110AAE.jpeg

What’s tongue weight with trailer tow pack?

I completely forgot about that sticker, which is where I got the 21K from and just assumed tongue weight is around 10%. Yes the tongue weight is 2120 and its a 3" receiver but I also have the diesel. I looked at this towing guide (page 39) which was updated on 1/9/20 and sounds like the gas rigs all have 15K 2.5" receivers (unless they have the tow package, not available on tremors) with tongue weights of 1500. I would just go with the diesel and not worry about it. Especially if you are hauling often. I am considering the 7.3L crate engine for my 72' F100.

Sorry for the thumb in the picture
IMG_20200806_160554.jpg

Unfortunately the 7.3L is only going to come with the 2.5” in a SRW. I just picked up my F350 7.3L and it still gets the 2.5”. I think the 3” is a direct bolt on, also believe Curt makes a higher rated hitch as well. I am right below capacity for the 2.5” with my biggest trailer for now. Will probably look in to upgrading if becomes more difficult to get rental equipment on a goose neck that would over load the 2.5” conventional hitch.

Back