F250 High capacity trailer tow package?

Jessetig

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Hello
I am looking purchasing 2021 F250 tremor with 5th wheel prep package and high capacity trailer to package ($2750 sticker add on).
It states on sticker it has high capacity trailer package but sticker has door payload sticker that is not consistent with my research regarding F250 tremor with high cap package opposed to F350 tremor.
Sticker states 2621 lb payload opposed 2900 or 3200. Does this truck not actually have high capacity tow package? If so what is largest 5th wheel gvwr I can tow? Thanks

Attachments

• B3007322-B0DB-49CC-B48C-9AD3BC048782.jpeg
    B3007322-B0DB-49CC-B48C-9AD3BC048782.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 378
That looks right for the 10800 gvwr. Mines only like 2700 and i have the high cap package on my 250

That looks right for the 10800 gvwr. Mines only like 2700 and i have the high cap package on my 250
Thanks. Do you tow a fifth wheel? If so, what max fifth wheel rv you safe towing?

Hello
I am looking purchasing 2021 F250 tremor with 5th wheel prep package and high capacity trailer to package ($2750 sticker add on).
It states on sticker it has high capacity trailer package but sticker has door payload sticker that is not consistent with my research regarding F250 tremor with high cap package opposed to F350 tremor.
Sticker states 2621 lb payload opposed 2900 or 3200. Does this truck not actually have high capacity tow package? If so what is largest 5th wheel gvwr I can tow? Thanks
What is the guidance for 5er pin weight? 20%?

Take your payload and subtract any weight you'll have in the truck including yourself, gear, etc. Divide that by .2 and you will have the maximum trailer weight.

Ex: 2621 - 350 (people) - 200 (misc stuff) = 2071lbs.

2071/.2 = 10355lbs.

Now, since all the Tremors have the same rear suspension and axle the truck could handle more, but you would be over the legal payload.

If you are comfortable with 15% pin that gives you a bit more (I've never had a 5er so I can't speak from experience here).

The payload capacity on that sticker is directly related to the GVWR. All diesel F-250's with Tremor package get the high capacity tow package making it 10,800 GVWR instead of 10k GVWR. For comparison however, a diesel F-350 Tremor would have 11,500 GVWR, giving it a higher payload number on sticker.

Thanks for replies.
How does Ford get a fifth wheel capacity of 18100 for f250 tremor? The payload number doesnt add up for get close to this especially using modman’s math.
Thanks again
The payload capacity on that sticker is directly related to the GVWR. All diesel F-250's with Tremor package get the high capacity tow package making it 10,800 GVWR instead of 10k GVWR. For comparison however, a diesel F-350 Tremor would have 11,500 GVWR, giving it a higher payload number on sticker.

Thanks for replies.
How does Ford get a fifth wheel capacity of 18100 for f250 tremor? The payload number doesnt add up for get close to this especially using modman’s math.
Thanks again
The published maximum towing capacities (17,800 5th wheel and 15k conventional) are just that, a maximum. They are based on a truck with no additional options. That's why Ford says, "Towing capability will be reduced based on trim series, option content and payload"
Ford has no idea what options, cargo or number of passengers you may have at any given time. It's actually pretty easy and common to exceed the payload capacity before reaching the max tow capacity with a 5th wheel on a 250. That is why most buyers who want to tow a 5th wheel, and care to stay within the payload numbers, will opt for the F-350.

This is just my opinion, since the 250 and 350 Tremor are essentially identical, from a capability and safety standpoint, your 250 should be able to tow whatever a comparable 350 could, even if it is over on the sticker number.

The published maximum towing capacities (17,800 5th wheel and 15k conventional) are just that, a maximum. They are based on a truck with no additional options. That's why Ford says, "Towing capability will be reduced based on trim series, option content and payload"
Ford has no idea what options, cargo or number of passengers you may have at any given time. It's actually pretty easy and common to exceed the payload capacity before reaching the max tow capacity with a 5th wheel on a 250. That is why most buyers who want to tow a 5th wheel, and care to stay within the payload numbers, will opt for the F-350.

This is just my opinion, since the 250 and 350 Tremor are essentially identical, from a capability and safety standpoint, your 250 should be able to tow whatever a comparable 350 could, even if it is over on the sticker number.
Agree, from a fifth wheel standpoint I can't make sense of how a 250 Tremor really works unless it is 1) one of the smaller/lightweight ones that are supposedly half ton towable or 2) you disregard the legality.

Really a 350 Tremor with typical options - just based on the numbers - is pretty limited. Use my math above and add 700 lbs to get an idea of the payload increase. Max trailer would be 13.8k. I would guess there are members on here towing trailers heavier than that. Maybe the pin is closer to 15%??

I told myself if I went to a fifth wheel it would have to offer something our travel trailer doesn't, and would probably end up being time for a dually... So far we are plenty happy with our TT.

I have a friend who is doing just that - going from a long bed FX4 (more payload than a Tremor) to an F450. To each their own!

Agree, from a fifth wheel standpoint I can't make sense of how a 250 Tremor really works unless it is 1) one of the smaller/lightweight ones that are supposedly half ton towable or 2) you disregard the legality.

Really a 350 Tremor with typical options - just based on the numbers - is pretty limited. Use my math above and add 700 lbs to get an idea of the payload increase. Max trailer would be 13.8k. I would guess there are members on here towing trailers heavier than that. Maybe the pin is closer to 15%??

I told myself if I went to a fifth wheel it would have to offer something our travel trailer doesn't, and would probably end up being time for a dually... So far we are plenty happy with our TT.

I have a friend who is doing just that - going from a long bed FX4 (more payload than a Tremor) to an F450. To each their own!
If I had it to do over again I would go 350. I ordered before really thinking that through. Has really limited my fifth wheel options.

Not to thread jack but while playing with the 2023 build site I noticed the High Capacity Trailer Tow package appears to be gone, or renamed. Now they have a High Capacity Axle Upgrade package for the 6 7l F-250. Two things jumped out at me, the 11.6" axle upgrade and up to 11,400 GVWR. Interested to find out more about the rear axle. The current Dana axle used is a 10.8".

Screenshot_20221106-141745_Chrome.jpg

I have an 2020 F250 7.3 XLT package Tremor. door sticker states #3008lb My 5th wheel recommends #3450 (13,350k). Given that the same year and specked truck as a f350 has a door sticker of #4008. we all know these trucks are identical with different badging.
I have had no issues pulling my 5th wheel. There is a thread about door stickers on this site

It looks like the new F250 high capacity package has the same GVWR as the current F350.

Does anyone know what the GVWR is of the 23' F350? I'm assuming it was also increased?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the GVWR is of the 23' F350? I'm assuming it was also increased?

Curious if anyone definitively knows the GVWR of the '23 F350 Tremors yet. Or a really good swag?

Back