F250/350 Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Roadking71865

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 Lariat Ultimate Star White Tremor Sport 6.7L
Current Ride #2
Airstream Pottery Barn 28RBT
Has anyone successfully used this when backing up their travel trailer? I have a 2022 F350 & 28' Airstream. I have not set it up yet with the sticker but would like to know if it actually works, especially with an A frame travel trailer? I don't see much room on my Airstream to even put a sticker.

The setup is a little tedious and you'll definitely want to do it in a large parking lot, or somewhere with a lot of room for pulling forward, backing up, making turns, etc.

I spent the 20 minutes setting mine up, decided I didn't like it, and went back to looking over my shoulder to back my trailers.

But if you can't back a trailer, yes, it works well.

I've set it up for two trailers. I agree with the above, give yourself plenty of space.

It works well. Neat little thing. I have a flat bed and an enclosed trailer programmed in. I've found it better on the flat bed as I can 'see through' to what's behind but kinda useless on the enclosed. However, I installed the rear camera on the enclosed trailer and that makes it more usable.

All the above said, I still turn it off and look over my shoulder for the tighter areas. Big open spaces and/or backing up in a straight line is where it does best.

Interested in why you do not use your side mirrors to back up trailers? Heck of a lot easier to use your side mirrors backing up than turning your body around.

I don't always use it but it helps when I need it. I still use my mirrors more than the screens but the Backup Assist knob takes any reversed steering confusion and over correction out of the equation. I've found that it's most useful when backing up longer distances. Seems to keep things moving straight w micro adjustments better than I can.

The setup is a little tedious and you'll definitely want to do it in a large parking lot, or somewhere with a lot of room for pulling forward, backing up, making turns, etc.

I spent the 20 minutes setting mine up, decided I didn't like it, and went back to looking over my shoulder to back my trailers.

But if you can't back a trailer, yes, it works well.
I set mine up and didn't like it either. Went back to the old tried-and-true.

I have this, but never have used it. I keep telling myself to set it up - just never make the time.

My $0.02.

I have an A-frame that has precious little real estate for the sticker. After a couple of months with the truck I decided I made the time to put the sticker on and try out PTBA.

It doesn't seem worth it for me and that trailer. My truck looses the sticker in any turn towards the passenger side, I have to remove the tongue jack cover or the camera misses the sticker, and in my parking lot testing it turns out I don't really like using it. Maybe I need to give it another try, but I just felt more removed from the backing-up process and it gave me more anxiety than without.

Maybe with a 5er it would be less frustrating - no stickers?

Last edited:
I added it and set it up but only used it in the parking lot. As others have said I like the old fashion method. I did read a story on that it is great for backing up long distances that are straight, figured having it set up for this and never needing it is better then wishing I had set it up. But now if I turn down a road that I can't go straight out of I can easily back up straight with no issues.

FWIW…I have one as well but haven’t installed it. The dealership I bought it from said I should skip the stickers and use the sensor instead. Have no idea if that’s a good idea or not or if it will work. If I do install it that way I’ll post up the results.

I use the sticker on a 20ft deck over i have. I like it. I don’t use it often, but when I need to back straight for a while it makes it very easy.

I've never gotten it to work with the sticker. It states ready or available but when I go use it ... not available. I'll try setting it up again when I'm in an area with plenty of room. In the meantime it will work using the 5th wheel yaw sensor and cable. It take a minute to get out of the mode that I'm turning the knob in the direction that I would with a steering wheel but it works well especially when needing to go straight back as others have stated.

I use it for backing a 20ft flat trailer it works well for long straight stuff I was able to use it to back into a area that was tight also but I am not sure how I like that part maybe after practice some. I am wondering if it would well for the 12ft single axle that is a pain to back up since it over steers with a slight nudge of wheel. The cameras are nice for backing though.

I set it up and it works, but I generally prefer the old fashioned way with mirrors and steering wheel because it feels more "real". Even with a 12" screen I don't feel comfortable with the feedback to guide my 25' travel trailer into a tight spot using that little knob.

The one thing I like about it is the "trailer view" which can be useful for lining up when I back into my shop. It basically stitches all the cameras together and rotates it based on the angle of the trailer. I believe this only works with the backup assist configured.

I have also heard that it's really useful if you want to back up in a straight line. This can be challenging with mirrors but the system auto-centers so you can back up perfectly straight. I have heard it works well if you need to back up a long way, like down a street or along the shoulder.

It's definitely a good idea to not become dependent on technology and forget how to tow!

You can make the sticker work in a pretty tight spot:

IMG_3261.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a trailer novice as I've now pulled one exactly 4 times. So when I ordered my truck I made sure to add this option. I've tried it on my parents' camper and it works as advertised. It is exceptionally good at backing up in a straight line over long distances. I think it would be very handy at a boat ramp for that reason.

I noticed that the system tends to play it safe when it comes to turning tightness, which is understandable since I'm sure they don't want to jack-knife your trailer into the back of your truck. You can generally turn a fair bit sharper manually compared to what the system will allow. Another hiccup is that if, at any time, you provide any manual steering inputs, the system will cancel and you either have to pull forward until truck/trailer are straight again to reset it, or you just have to continue on manually.

We just bought a 5th wheel toy hauler and will be picking it up from the dealer in about a week. I'll be interested to see how it behaves with the yaw sensor vs the tongue sticker on the bumper tow trailer.

-SR-

Do the stickers stay on? I assumed you just used them to set it up.

Interested in why you do not use your side mirrors to back up trailers? Heck of a lot easier to use your side mirrors backing up than turning your body around.

Where we launch our boat you have to back out of the angled parking spots and there is a pipe fence on the lake side and other boat trailers on the other. Its a bit more than a single lane you are backing up into. I lose sight of the trailer in the mirror on the fence side when backing up so I usually turn around and look at the trailer so I can see the trailer and the fence, otherwise all I see is fence. So there are situations where physically turning around to look at the trailer and surroundings when you lose sight of the trailer in the mirror is appropriate.

One thing I have learned in years of towing trailers is that there is no absolutes and you may have to use 2-3 techniques for every situation.

Yes, they stay on and the rear camera needs the ability to see them so they can't be blocked.

Stickers seem rather durable. They aren't just for setup as the system camera reads the sticker to know where the trailer is. There are extras in the owners kit just in case. I can back up without it, just use the system when I get lazy. I've had it kick out several times in sharp turns and have to take over. It's fun and worthwhile to have.

Latest Discussions

Back