Military
Army
Current Ride
Velocity Blue F350 Diesel with Sport & Ultimate package
Current Ride #2
20 Explorer / 18 Indian Chieftain Limited / 19 Can-Am Defender XMR
First Responder
Volunteer Firefighter
So I’m in Qatar and have a F150 and today I noticed my side mirror is tinted. I ran my finger over it and it’s smooth. So seems like it’s built in. Anyone ever seen this before?

Attachments

• E51E2C46-80B2-4407-8AE8-8E40B4D769D0.jpeg
    E51E2C46-80B2-4407-8AE8-8E40B4D769D0.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 80
So I’m in Qatar and have a F150 and today I noticed my side mirror is tinted. I ran my finger over it and it’s smooth. So seems like it’s built in. Anyone ever seen this before?
Was the sun possibly shining brightly directly behind you? It looks to me like the mirror auto dimmer is on...not sure exactly what it’s called, but it keeps you from getting blinded by a jackass riding behind you at night with the high beams on. That’s my best guess. The center rear view should do the same thing.

See that's what I thought also. It was 1815 and I was parked, the sun was setting, i believe from behind me. However not bright enough that i wore my glasses when i got out. I looked at the passenger side mirror and it was normal. I have been driving this truck for a month, and have never noticed this.

See that's what I thought also. It was 1815 and I was parked, the sun was setting, i believe from behind me. However not bright enough that i wore my glasses when i got out. I looked at the passenger side mirror and it was normal. I have been driving this truck for a month, and have never noticed this.

The lack of glasses would make sense. It would need to be considered “dark/night time” plus the sun/someone’s headlights shining directly from behind to make it happen. Very unique situation wile still considered daylight I must say. I’m looking at my 16 F150 right now and the driver’s and center rear view have the dim ability ( I can see a little line the whole way around). The passenger side does not. I’m fairly certain that’s what you experienced.

Oh and Qatar seems to be the wrong habitat for an IceSoldier! ?

That does make sense. Cool feature. I believe this truck is a 17. I had an 18 and it didn't have that feature.

Do the Tremors have this?

It's an F150, not a Tremor :p

Interesting, is it hard to see out that mirror at night?

I have only drive a handful of times with it at night. and i didn't notice anything, Granted it was around the base so idk if that makes a difference. But i don't think it would be hard to see out it.

My Volvos had and have that. My 2018 S90 has a tinted rear view mirror that looks like that, although it is also autodimming. I've seen other Volvo guys buy side mirrors that come tinted that way also. The mirror itself comes that way, unsure if the manufacturer tints them or what.

It's definitely useful at night for traffic behind with many lights. This way your night vision isn't too disturbed by headlights that are right in your eyes or illegal ones in reflector housings.

It’s not even noticeable at night because it kicks on and off depending on headlights. It’s for sure a benefit and I’ve never known it to be a hindrance to any nighttime operation.

It’s not even noticeable at night because it kicks on and off depending on headlights. It’s for sure a benefit and I’ve never known it to be a hindrance to any nighttime operation.
it isn't a new feature my 2012 F150 have them and they are favorite thing at night because every ass hole drives with there high beams in Maryland and it auto dims and it works great ... that i hate that the 2018 edge that fully loaded doesn't have these mirrors.... i wish the super duty had them but tow mirrors don't have this option ... going to have to just tint the mirror

Back