F-350 Platinum headlights?

SEMOFarmer

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2018 F-350 King Ranch 4WD SRW
Finally took delivery of my F-350 Platinum Tremor last Friday, ordered in Aug. Had first opportunity to drive with headlights last night. I was terribly disappointed. There are dark spots and doesn’t have a full range of illumination left to right. The worse part is, for lack of better explanation, the appearance of a rainbow through the middle field of view and a band of red light at top of view in high beams and a band of blue light at the top in low beam. Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just my truck? Overall, slightly disappointed in this truck. My 2018 F-350 King Ranch has better head light illumination and driveability qualities. I blame the drive ability issue on the tires, just hoped Ford had it figured out. Otherwise about the same.

First of all congrats on the new Tremor. I've heard a few people mention the new LED headlights were awesome so I wonder if there is something wrong with them.

What issues are you having with the tires?

I don't think mine have the red/blue bands but I agree that there is a "missing" spot on the left and right side. I figured that it was from the middle area where they split the headlights on the 20... I guess It kinda bugs me but not too bad. My 14 Silverado had terrible projectors so the FORDs are a massive upgrade over those "crappy" "premium" lights so I am happy.

I don't think mine have the red/blue bands but I agree that there is a "missing" spot on the left and right side. I figured that it was from the middle area where they split the headlights on the 20... I guess It kinda bugs me but not too bad. My 14 Silverado had terrible projectors so the FORDs are a massive upgrade over those "crappy" "premium" lights so I am happy.

How are the factory fog lights? Do they fill in the "missing" spots at all?

First of all congrats on the new Tremor. I've heard a few people mention the new LED headlights were awesome so I wonder if there is something wrong with them.

What issues are you having with the tires?
Tremor tends to wonder requiring constant correction driving down the highway. My 2018 held the line perfectly, until I put on a set of 295 Nitto Trail Grapplers. It didn’t take two miles to realize I had ruined the handling of the truck. After awhile, gave them away, went back to the stock Michelin’s. Problem solved. These tires appear to have a similar effect, only not as severe.

How are the factory fog lights? Do they fill in the "missing" spots at all?
Will have to check out the difference and report back.

Will have to check out the difference and report back.

It is my experience that no, they do not fill it in.

The "wandering" you experience improved when I got some mileage on the tires. By no means a highway tire feel but noticeably better. How many miles do you have on them?

It is my experience that no, they do not fill it in.

The "wandering" you experience improved when I got some mileage on the tires. By no means a highway tire feel but noticeably better. How many miles do you have on them?

I haven't noticed any wander. My commute only includes about 3.5 miles of highway but it's fine during that stretch. I find the headlights to be amazing but I have no other LED comparison. I like the auto high beam feature. I don't notice any dark spots but I'll check again tonight on my way home

Thanks. I figured it would not help much since the problem is most obvious with the high beams. The fog lights only burn in low beam.
I only have 250 miles on the truck so I hope I have the same experience. I guess I hoped since these were factory tires from Ford they were going to be “magically” closer to the handling of an AT tire. They are better than the Nittos and Toyo’s I’m familiar with, probably because they are narrower. Anyway, hopefully they will improve with miles. Thanks for the info!

I haven't noticed any wander. My commute only includes about 3.5 miles of highway but it's fine during that stretch. I find the headlights to be amazing but I have no other LED comparison. I like the auto high beam feature. I don't notice any dark spots but I'll check again tonight on my way home
I would agree, the LED lights are great. IMO, just not as good as the ones from the 17-19 Super Duty. Hate taking a step back, and it may just be my truck.

I would agree, the LED lights are great. IMO, just not as good as the ones from the 17-19 Super Duty. Hate taking a step back, and it may just be my truck.
Yeah that's a shame. My comparison is an 05 F250. Those lights were garbage even when the lenses weren't hazy from oxidation. Had to run with my fog lights on all the time.

I also had a little back and forth. The manual says it takes 300 miles for break in on tires. Now that i have over a 1,000 miles no wondering, smooth sailing.

When I test drove a 2020, I thought the 2020 LED headlights were largely better than my 2018's, though I did notice the dark spots you are talking about. My 2020 isn't here yet, but I'll definitely pay more attention to that when it gets here.

When I test drove the 2020 I thought the headlight were amazing but I’m comparing to my 2011 F-250 and trust me those sucked! Lol

The LED headlights and fog lights on my 2022 are disappointing. The rainbow around the edges is just annoying and yes, there is clearly a dark spot that's impossible not to notice. The fog lights are really a joke. They're just accent lights and don't illuminate far enough out to do any good if you're driving more than 10 MPH. That's why mine have been replaced with Baja Designs lights in the same spot.

I wish I could have the headlights from my 2006 Duramax back. It's hard to believe that with the introduction of LED lights, Ford couldn't do better than GM did 16 years ago.

Back