Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
Planning the extended camping setup. Unsure on capacity and style. I was thinking of adding at the front of the bed a 110 gallon low profile fresh water tank with a 12v in tank pump, for showers, drinking water, dish washing supply, etc. I would plumb into some kind of a sprayer wand that could be used for kitchen and bath uses, powered by the 12v in-tank pump with switch.

Any experience on how much water to carry to not worry about it for two people for a week remote and no refills, and how to get water to keep us and our camping equipment clean? I am probably doing my typical more is better approach, but this is what I have been looking at:

I have a 12v supply in the bed, so it would be easy to power.

Give the overlanding / camping newbie some feedback.

Ed

I've built a 6 gallon solar shower for the Jeep. 6" PVC pipe spray painted black makes for a warm shower by the end of the day. Tire pressure valve on the other end lets it be pressurized. I'm never in one spot for more than 2-3 days, and can refill it at any campground/gas station. If you're going to make a stop for food/ice/gas/propane in those 2 weeks, I'd consider less water. At 8.3lbs per gallon, 900 extra pounds makes for a poor off-roading rig too.

Planning the extended camping setup. Unsure on capacity and style. I was thinking of adding at the front of the bed a 110 gallon low profile fresh water tank with a 12v in tank pump, for showers, drinking water, dish washing supply, etc. I would plumb into some kind of a sprayer wand that could be used for kitchen and bath uses, powered by the 12v in-tank pump with switch.

Any experience on how much water to carry to not worry about it for two people for a week remote and no refills, and how to get water to keep us and our camping equipment clean? I am probably doing my typical more is better approach, but this is what I have been looking at:

I have a 12v supply in the bed, so it would be easy to power.

Give the overlanding / camping newbie some feedback.

Ed

McMaster Carr has a lot of tank options. You should check those out. We use one of there 150 gallon tanks at work and it has taken a beating with no issues.

If you have access to water, we found the Berkey water filter is priceless for camping. It will filter pond water if you want. We also use it daily at home, since municipal systems don't have the cleanest pipes.

110 gallons is a whole lot o weight to carry around, especially if you plan on doing some more difficult trails while camping. That's nearly 1k pounds. I'd recommend 1 gallon of water per person per day for a minimum of 3 days. My wife an I usually tote about 15 gallons for our family of 6 and bring along a high flow filter and make more water on the trail. Katadyn makes a nice filter system. Lifesaver makes a water jug with a built in filter

Back