Exhaust Brake On or Auto when Towing?

What Exhaust Brake mode do you use when Towing?

• ON

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • AUTO

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tx-Tremor6.7

Tremor Aficionado
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor 6.7L Lariat Ultimate / Lariat Black
Current Ride #2
2023 Corvette C8 Stingray R
What Exhaust Brake mode do you use when towing with your Tremors and why? On or Auto?

I tried both modes last weekend when towing my 9000 lb TT and I could not really tell a difference between the two. I was driving through the Texas Hill Country for part of my drive, but it was mostly on flat lands. Exhaust Brake On seemed slightly more aggressive in a couple of cases, but there did not seem like enough of a difference for two modes.

On my recent 1800 mile NorCal trip I only used it in the mountains. I tried both and also couldn't see a difference especially with the Tow Mode downshifting quite aggressively at times on the bigger grades in the Trinity Alps. Next trip I'm gunna try to tell the difference by taking it outta Tow Mode.

This is what I understand about the exhaust brake, feel free to jump in and correct me. The biggest takeaway is engine RPM needs to be up for the exhaust brake to work.

ON without tow haul mode - You will need to manually downshift to get engine RPM up enough to engage the exhaust brake.
ON with tow haul mode - Tow Haul will automatically downshift for you, so will mimic Auto.
AUTO without tow haul mode - Auto will automatically downshift to get rpm up to engage exhaust brake.
AUTO with tow haul mode - same as without tow haul mode, downhill anyways.

Auto may not apply braking if the vehicle speed is not increasing, although it will apply full engine braking force when needed to prevent acceleration.

1622740171811.png
I just keep it in manual mode.

I used “ON” in my old truck, didn’t have an ”AUTO” option and use “ON” with this one mainly because I haven’t had a good understanding of how “AUTO” is supposed to operate. I’ve read the description above, and it sort of makes sense to me, but at the same time “ON” has been fine for me when I’ve used it.

This is what I understand about the exhaust brake, feel free to jump in and correct me. The biggest takeaway is engine RPM needs to be up for the exhaust brake to work.

ON without tow haul mode - You will need to manually downshift to get engine RPM up enough to engage the exhaust brake.
ON with tow haul mode - Tow Haul will automatically downshift for you, so will mimic Auto.
AUTO without tow haul mode - Auto will automatically downshift to get rpm up to engage exhaust brake.
AUTO with tow haul mode - same as without tow haul mode, downhill anyways.

Where did you find the additional information about tow haul mode? I was using tow haul with ON and AUTO, so maybe that is why they both seemed the same. I prefer tow haul mode, so it might not make much of a difference for my situation.

Where did you find the additional information about tow haul mode? I was using tow haul with ON and AUTO, so maybe that is why they both seemed the same. I prefer tow haul mode, so it might not make much of a difference for my situation.
This was my experience when I was playing around with the different settings driving through the mountains.

I sometimes use on when im driving around town or in mountians. Most of the time i use auto

I use auto because it will hold whatever speed I want by manually pressing the brake pedal or when using cruise control. If you use the on mode, the brake is on when you let of the accelerator. It just doesn't do much unless you shift it yourself.

Latest Discussions

Back