Enlighten me: Why trade-in Raptor for Tremor?

Trämör

7.3L > 6.7L
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
BMW M4 Competition Convertible
Hey guys! New here, but quite active over at fordraptorforum.com ...
Now - don't tell the guys over there - but I've been eyeing trading-in my Raptor for a Tremor. Why? That's where I need your help. If I had to answer it, I am just crazy enough that I want bigger, better, more powerful and better sounding without really using any of these qualities. Why F350 over F250? Because why not. Why Tremor over FX4 although I have yet to go off-roading? Because what if in a couple years down the line I suddenly want to go through Oregon like Raptoregan. Clearly I am not the only Raptor-owner with those thoughts.

I got a couple options locked down by now that I could pull the trigger on: A F250 Platinum Tremor with the 7.3L and a F350 Platinum Tremor with 6.7L. Difference is only about $8K. Both are almost fully loaded and discounts are in the 3500-5500 range. Also, this is the internet, you don't have to be nice about it. Tell me how it is.

Here is my take from owning both at the same time: Raptor is way more fun on road and offroad. The tremor is a badass truck but if you don't need extra capability of it I don't think its worth the tradeoffs. Plus the wife refuses to climb in to the tremor.

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
-Office Space

Why is this even a debate. Nothing says you can't own both at the same time.

Tremor is worth it for hauling or if you want a big V8 in a heavy truck. The FX4 isn't even an off road package.

Raptor is for hauling ass.

I did not own a Raptor......I had an FX4 150, My cargo sticker probably looked like yours-- 1100 lbs of cargo capacity:

That is exactly 2 adults 2 kids a dog and your luggage. What??? 0 LBS left for camping gear, Travel Trailer...etc.....

I would bet 25 percent of members on here are former or current Raptor owners......and lastly, my Ford Edge has 900 LBS of Cargo Capacity!

That's why you switch

I currently own an '18 Raptor. I'm trading it in on a '20 Tremor. Here's why...

With a standard weight-carrying hitch, Ford rated my Raptor to tow 5000 lbs. Step up to a weight-distributing hitch and that rating goes to 8000. I think it's the Raptor suspension, which is awesome for its designed purpose, but I'm betting it's the limitation because the NON-Raptor 3.5L GTDI Crew Cab short bed is rated at 12,500 lbs.

I know my travel trailer has a loaded weight (wet & with normal cargo) over 8000 lbs. When loaded with my two ATVs, I'm guessing my utility trailer's tongue weight is over 800 lbs, and squats the Raptor's rear suspension big time (I guess I'll know its tongue weight for sure after the Tremor comes, as I have a WeighSafe with a 2.5" shank ready to go).

I loved my Raptor, but that tow weight rating (even with a weight distributing hitch) is now just too large of a constraint for my truck needs.

I can't justify keeping both.

I was one of the first Raptor to Tremor converts and have never looked back. I had so many issues with my 2018 Raptor and the 3.5 EcoBoost engine it was rediculous.

Besides, who wouldn't want a 445 CI 7.3L Big Block Godzilla paired with 4.30 gears!

For me it was to increase carrying capacity in the bed as well as towing capacity. Went from an F350 to a Raptor, back to an F350 and working my way in to a Tremor model!

Why? Because you want to.

The answer for me going away from the Raptor was payload/towing. The Raptor is a lot of fun but over the years my trailers outgrew the capability of the Raptor. If I had not bought my enclosed trailer and a UTV I would still have my Raptor. If finances allowed would still have the Raptor. One caution I have is once you jump to a heavy duty than loads tend to grow because you have the extra capability now. I am looking at a heavier duty trailer now.

The 350 vs 250 is a more a application/location thing since for all intensive purposes the same truck from what I can find, other than the badges and payload sticker if comparing gas to gas or diesel to diesel. The gas vs diesel is also going to be a preference thing but two great options.

I went from a last bodystyle and gen 6.7 super duty to a raptor because it was time for a new truck, and I was aggravated at Ford over the CP4 pump failure issues. The raptor was good, but I always missed the diesel and longer bed. I was able to just get by with the raptor tow rating, but it wasn’t much fun. The raptor rides and handles much better without a load. The raptor is easier to maneuver in and out of parking lots, etc. But I still made the move to a 2020 tremor 6.7.

I love the diesel whine, the brute force of the truck, and being above most of the rest of the world with the stock suspension Tremor. It just works. There are no flies on the Raptor, and it really was fine for me. But if I’m going to compromise either way, give me the the Tremor with the 6.7 and 10 speed tranny as the powertrain really is a work of art. I drive in an urban area daily, and as long as you can deal with the parking garage issue (most don’t work), it’s just fine.

Last edited:
Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
-Office Space

Why is this even a debate. Nothing says you can't own both at the same time.

Tremor is worth it for hauling or if you want a big V8 in a heavy truck. The FX4 isn't even an off road package.

Raptor is for hauling ass.
1588680208564.jpg

I was one of the first Raptor to Tremor converts and have never looked back. I had so many issues with my 2018 Raptor and the 3.5 EcoBoost engine it was rediculous.

Besides, who wouldn't want a 445 CI 7.3L Big Block Godzilla paired with 4.30 gears!
And I was a week after driftwoodsvt, I miss my GEN1, hated my GEN2 and love my 7.3 Tremor. I have a Wildtrak on order to replace the wife’s jeep and will do our serious off roading in that.

Now if the GEN3 were to have a 700hp supercharged V8?

Last edited:
I'm hoping the rumors are true about 2 engine options for the upcoming raptor. a "base" 3.5 and an upgraded supercharged v8. If they come out with a v8 we'll get one for the wife since she loves my Tremor more than her expedition.

I'm hoping the rumors are true about 2 engine options for the upcoming raptor. a "base" 3.5 and an upgraded supercharged v8. If they come out with a v8 we'll get one for the wife since she loves my Tremor more than her expedition.
I could see that being the 5.4 v 6.2 all over again. Haha

yeah no kidding. the supercharged 5.2 doesn't make sense as I think they would like to keep that unique to the GT500 but maybe a tuned version of the 7.3 would be cool. The power numbers for the Tremor are conservative. no reason why that engine couldn't make 800 hp. I though tit would have been too big and clunky for a raptor but someone here mentioend it isn't that much heavier than the 3.5

One is for hauling, one is for hauling ass.

I have a Tremor and tow a bigger boat.

My brother has a Raptor and flies through the desert at highway speeds.

Do what works for ya.

Seems like the most prominent choice in the Raptor world will be the 3.5 EB TT with Powerboost making 600+hp at insane torque levels

Back