Duratracs mountain snowflake rated?

So for those of use in Canada that get a discount with winter tires installed, these will no longer work even though they're the same tire. Kinda pissed as I was expecting to not buy a second set of everything for winter..... Wonder if there is any change at all to the tire itself or not.

Be careful to check the fine print on your policy, 3PMSF on an all season tire may not qualify you on the discount, all winter tires are 3PMSF, but not all 3PMSF tires are winter tires. Anyway, you"d hate to have a claim not paid for a technicality.

Curious what Goodyear has to say. The LT285/75/18 Duratrac directly from Goodyear is 3PMSF. The ones from Ford are hit or miss. I originally thought it was a "location" thing, but obvoiusly not. I'm putting money that Ford is having them produced for them in that size without the 3PMSF as a cost cutting measure. While this may not be important to those who never see snow ( and may actually be beneficial to some from a longevity standpoint due to the harder compound), for the people who live in the "snow belt" it is significant. All tires have a mfg date on them. This could easily be tracked by the mfg date on the tire as to when Ford switched.

Is the snow flake a rating from a 3rd party? I imagine it may be - and that could explain quite a bit. I am curious on the whole discount for Canadian owners - a discount on what? Registration? Insurance?

Is the snow flake a rating from a 3rd party? I imagine it may be - and that could explain quite a bit. I am curious on the whole discount for Canadian owners - a discount on what? Registration? Insurance?

Here in Ontario you get a discount on your insurance if you have dedicated snow tires. Because i run summer tires on rims from spring to fall, i run my stock duratracs on the factory rim in the winter and because they were snow flake rated i got a discount on my vehicle insurance. I run snow tires on my Corolla as well. Snow tires make a day and night difference in the bitter cold.

In Ontario they legislated a +/-5% insurance discount for people that install winter tires. But as far as I understand, it is actual winter tires, not just all seasons rated 3PMSF.

The M+S rating denotes a minimum tread depth, whereas the 3PMSF represents a minimum 10% stopping performance improvement over a reference all season tire on packed snow. I don't believe rubber compound is a factor. Also ice, slush, cornering aren't a factor in the rating like you would see on an actual winter tire.

Here in Ontario you get a discount on your insurance if you have dedicated snow tires. Because i run summer tires on rims from spring to fall, i run my stock duratracs on the factory rim in the winter and because they were snow flake rated i got a discount on my vehicle insurance. I run snow tires on my Corolla as well. Snow tires make a day and night difference in the bitter cold.
Gotcha - thank you.

In Ontario they legislated a +/-5% insurance discount for people that install winter tires. But as far as I understand, it is actual winter tires, not just all seasons rated 3PMSF.

The M+S rating denotes a minimum tread depth, whereas the 3PMSF represents a 10% stopping performance improvement over a reference all season tire on packed snow. I don't believe rubber compound is a factor.
It's interesting, but makes sense.

Curious what Goodyear has to say. The LT285/75/18 Duratrac directly from Goodyear is 3PMSF. The ones from Ford are hit or miss. I originally thought it was a "location" thing, but obvoiusly not. I'm putting money that Ford is having them produced for them in that size without the 3PMSF as a cost cutting measure. While this may not be important to those who never see snow ( and may actually be beneficial to some from a longevity standpoint due to the harder compound), for the people who live in the "snow belt" it is significant. All tires have a mfg date on them. This could easily be tracked by the mfg date on the tire as to when Ford switched.

Does Ford even build enough Tremors to make it worthwhile to have Goodyear build a factory only tire?

It just makes zero sense that every Duratrac you can purchase has the snowflake rating & the only ones without it are factory installed ones

There are 2 different duratracs to choose from and the non-snowflake is in fact cheaper. Only difference I’ve noticed is the snowflakes are studdable whereas the non snowflake is not. I’ve had both. Went with non snowflake on my gasser this time $200 cheaper and they perform very well in the white stuff too. Most likely the same compund

There are 2 different duratracs to choose from and the non-snowflake is in fact cheaper. Only difference I’ve noticed is the snowflakes are studdable whereas the non snowflake is not. I’ve had both. Went with non snowflake on my gasser this time $200 cheaper and they perform very well in the white stuff too. Most likely the same compund

The above is an example….I know it’s a different size then the tremors….but same size same E load range….note the price difference
This is a great callout, though unfortunately I don't think it applies to the Tremor tire size.

In the case of that size there are indeed multiple variants and they have different speed/load ratings. The non-severe snow rated variant has a lower speed rating than the severe snow rated one (Q vs R). This can be seen both on TireRack and GoodYear's websites.

For the Tremor tire size there is only one listed variant, both on TireRack and GoodYear's website. So unless Ford got an OEM-specific tire that isn't even listed on GoodYear's website, that doesn't explain what's happening here. :(

Curious what they say. I sent a note to them couple weeks ago and got nothing back.
I haven't heard back yet, either, and I'm pretty sure it's been 48 hours now. :( Might see about giving them a call, then.

I'm going to be pretty pissed if the Duratracs on my '22 don't have the certification, I plan to run those tires all year round. It's not just about potential insurance rebates - but actual due diligence.

Does Ford advertise the snowflake rating & say how the tires are 3 peak certified?

Or is it just a assumption & all Ford says is the tire size and style?

Someone with a tremor without the 3 peak rated tires…..check to see if the tires are pinned for studs. With the above info from ccw I suspect Ford has a “special” variant of the duratrac minus the severe service rating.

Back