Dump Trailers

I suppose it doesn’t hurt to ask if I find a trailer I like. The one I am thinking about buying is a 14K one which has more than enough payload to haul my intended machine load. Now for hauling gravel will have to be careful not to overload but the same it true for a 16K trailer. I estimate getting a 14K vs the extra a custom 14700 lb capacity to only be about 1/4 yard more of gravel per load. Not going to make or break me but if was more serious on the side work could help.

I am curious where everyone is at finding dumps at 10K or less since most everything around here is 11K plus’s now in the 16’ bumper and about a grand more for goose. With all the extras I am looking at price really starting to get up there.

Here in CA, I can find derated trailers from
nearly every manufacturer mentioned here.

I can’t say I’ve stumbled on one derated to an odd number though. Usually they’re at 10K#.

But I imagine some manufacturers would be happy to do it on a custom order.

Has any one had experience with Delco trailers. The local dealer just got in some 16’ goose dumps in. Look pretty decent and seems to be pretty heavy duty just don’t know much about them. Comparing the bumper pulls on the lot vs the Load trails there’s some things I like better about the Delco but others on the Load Trail (mainly how LT does the spare mount).

Has any one had experience with Delco trailers. The local dealer just got in some 16’ goose dumps in. Look pretty decent and seems to be pretty heavy duty just don’t know much about them. Comparing the bumper pulls on the lot vs the Load trails there’s some things I like better about the Delco but others on the Load Trail (mainly how LT does the spare mount).

Which model are you looking at? What's the curb weight? The pictures on the site make them look kind of chunky.

What are you planning on using the dump for most of the time? Something to keep in mind about goosenecks is they're:

1. a bit more of a pain in the ass to unhook/hookup
2. a bit heavier (reducing payload of the axles)
3. they take up more room on your lot when parked
4. they're harder to move around with ATVs or tractors

For my use cases, I like my dump trailer to be as optimized on the above four factors as possible so I'm strongly biased towards bumper pull for dump trailers. I would personally only go gooseneck if trying to maximize my hauling capacity, but then the Tremor wouldn't be the right truck for the job.

Which model are you looking at? What's the curb weight? The pictures on the site make them look kind of chunky.

What are you planning on using the dump for most of the time? Something to keep in mind about goosenecks is they're:

1. a bit more of a pain in the ass to unhook/hookup
2. a bit heavier (reducing payload of the axles)
3. they take up more room on your lot when parked
4. they're harder to move around with ATVs or tractors

For my use cases, I like my dump trailer to be as optimized on the above four factors as possible so I'm strongly biased towards bumper pull for dump trailers. I would personally only go gooseneck if trying to maximize my hauling capacity, but then the Tremor wouldn't be the right truck for the job.
I am after a 16’ (shortest offering to fit my tractor) with the 14K capacity since have to stay under 14700 to avoid needing a CDL. According to the capacity sticker the trailer weighs just about 4850lbs. At that size goose or bumper they are going to kill any ATV/UTV I own trying to move them empty and have a reciver on my pallet fork frame making either version easy to move with the tractor as long as it is not loaded up. My main use for the trailer will be to transport my tractor between properties and preform maintenance like brush clean up an tree removal at one place and dirt/rock work at the other. The biggest reason for the goose neck in is the extra space on top of the neck for adding a deck for implements that just won’t fit in the box of the truck or in the trailer with the tractor with a bumper pull. Machine load with all the goodies should be less than 8K lbs so loss in payload due to the extra trailer weight is tolerable for me. I have around a 4 hour drive between properties so not practical to get 2 different trailers to get everything between them when going to maintain the forested property with the tractor and dump trailer. It becomes especially important to get something that can fit everything since the boss doesn’t like to drive separately when making the trip. Another added bonus is that the amount of people asking to burrow the trailer drops off significantly with a gooseneck.

Got it. HD Goose sounds like the wise choice for primarily hauling the MX with implements.

Have not personally seen a Delco before. I suppose the main things I’d be looking at for equipment hauling would be the ramps, rings, and rear jacks. If they have a good design for getting the tractor loaded and tied down will probably determine how much swearing is in your future. Most dump trailers miss the mark on one of these things with their standard options.

Got it. HD Goose sounds like the wise choice for primarily hauling the MX with implements.

Have not personally seen a Delco before. I suppose the main things I’d be looking at for equipment hauling would be the ramps, rings, and rear jacks. If they have a good design for getting the tractor loaded and tied down will probably determine how much swearing is in your future. Most dump trailers miss the mark on one of these things with their standard options.
I hear you there and the big miss on the Delco is rear jacks but the dealer has some options to add them to the in stock units for not a large cost increase. It does have a lower deck height, ramps, and pretty much the standard D ring set up in the bed. I don’t know much about the brand but looks like a sister brand would be X-on. They are not cheap but neither are any of my other options in a gooseneck everything seems comparably priced that I have called around on. I inquired a few places on special ordering one and sounds like that route makes the wait on a new Tremor a short cake walk, making the wait worse there is would garontee pricing when it finally arrives.

Last edited:
You know, between trailer and fuel costs and strong resale on Kubota’s, there’s probably some math where it’d make sense to just get a second tractor so you have one at both properties. 😄🤞

You know, between trailer and fuel costs and strong resale on Kubota’s, there’s probably some math where it’d make sense to just get a second tractor so you have one at both properties. 😄🤞
I like the second tractor idea but at this rate will darn near be 2024 before I will get a second one :ROFLMAO:. Still need a new dump trailer though. Got spoiled having one a was stupid getting rid of the old one.

I may give the Delco a try but still on the fence. There was some nice little things like the way the combo gate can automatically latch open when swung out it to load equipment. A divided front box where you don’t have to worry about damaging the pump battery or charger with chains. Lower deck height without having to use drop axles. The tarp kit on the front that would not require removal to access the stake pockets to add temporary side extensions. The only thing holding me back is not a lot of knowledge on the brand. Luckily am able to compare the bumper pulls to Load Trail trailers side by side and quality of assembly appears to be equally as good between both but the major difference being frame design outside of the little things.

Ah, yeah, just clarifying. Wasn't sure if I was missing something.

A coupler channel is a must on any trailer, IMO. With these trucks especially. Not just for adjustability, but for security:

I connect my coupler to the trailer with hitch pins, and then store it on the truck when the trailer is not in use, while putting (usually) a couple of locks on the coupler channel to keep honest people honest.

This gives me peace of mind, at least, but also makes it easy to hop between trailers. I've always got the same coupler, and I can always adjust it for whatever vehicle or hitch I've got on hand at the time.

View attachment 34741

View attachment 34742
Teach me o wise one... What is the determining factor for using a ring/pintle instead of a ball? All the equipment trailers I have owned or used have been ball hitches but they have been lighter duty <10k - I have never used a ring/pintle setup. Thanks!

Teach me o wise one... What is the determining factor for using a ring/pintle instead of a ball? All the equipment trailers I have owned or used have been ball hitches but they have been lighter duty <10k - I have never used a ring/pintle setup. Thanks!

The primary benefit — for me currently — is articulation. A lunette ring allows for a high amount of articulation of the trailer without risk of the hitch failing or the trailer lifting the truck or just things binding up and being uncomfortable.

I pull my trailers around off-road on my property as a matter of routine, so I capture the minor benefit of this.

There are other upsides of a pintle hitch / lunette ring that I don't capture the benefits of currently:

- They tend to have higher capacity than ball hitches. I don't have a truck that exceeds the capacity of a ball hitch so this doesn't matter to me.
- Heavy duty trucks almost exclusively use pintle hitches and do not have ball hitches or hitch receivers. So having a lunette ring on your trailers is usually requisite if you tow them with dump trucks or what have you. I don't.

The downside of a lunette ring is that on-road the ride is a bit rougher. You'll feel the trailer slopping around due to the loose connection. Because of this, I keep a ball hitch coupler in my trailer toolbox that I put in the rare event I'm doing a lot of on-road towing.

I suppose another benefit I'm discounting because I've not done it recently is that I sometimes borrow or rent heavy-duty equipment trailers, and they always have lunette rings on them. Having a pintle hitch or adapter is a matter of convenience in these scenarios.

I suppose another benefit I'm discounting because I've not done it recently is that I sometimes borrow or rent heavy-duty equipment trailers, and they always have lunette rings on them. Having a pintle hitch or adapter is a matter of convenience in these scenarios.

This was one of the reasons I went with a Bulletproof. The locking block to use pintile was pretty reasonable. I’m also casually trailer shopping. Appreciate all the replies here.

The primary benefit — for me currently — is articulation. A lunette ring allows for a high amount of articulation of the trailer without risk of the hitch failing or the trailer lifting the truck or just things binding up and being uncomfortable.

I pull my trailers around off-road on my property as a matter of routine, so I capture the minor benefit of this.

There are other upsides of a pintle hitch / lunette ring that I don't capture the benefits of currently:

- They tend to have higher capacity than ball hitches. I don't have a truck that exceeds the capacity of a ball hitch so this doesn't matter to me.
- Heavy duty trucks almost exclusively use pintle hitches and do not have ball hitches or hitch receivers. So having a lunette ring on your trailers is usually requisite if you tow them with dump trucks or what have you. I don't.

The downside of a lunette ring is that on-road the ride is a bit rougher. You'll feel the trailer slopping around due to the loose connection. Because of this, I keep a ball hitch coupler in my trailer toolbox that I put in the rare event I'm doing a lot of on-road towing.
Thank you! Great explanation.

I like the second tractor idea but at this rate will darn near be 2024 before I will get a second one :ROFLMAO:. Still need a new dump trailer though. Got spoiled having one a was stupid getting rid of the old one.

I may give the Delco a try but still on the fence. There was some nice little things like the way the combo gate can automatically latch open when swung out it to load equipment. A divided front box where you don’t have to worry about damaging the pump battery or charger with chains. Lower deck height without having to use drop axles. The tarp kit on the front that would not require removal to access the stake pockets to add temporary side extensions. The only thing holding me back is not a lot of knowledge on the brand. Luckily am able to compare the bumper pulls to Load Trail trailers side by side and quality of assembly appears to be equally as good between both but the major difference being frame design outside of the little things.
Try to find some reviews on the internet. I've never heard of them either, but that's where I would start.

Try to find some reviews on the internet. I've never heard of them either, but that's where I would start.
Well I finally pulled the trigger since have had great dealer support with previous trailers I bought with them. Will see how this one does, but has a pretty good stickered payload for a 14K 16 footer goose at 9150lbs.
64815B1D-05F8-4871-AAA5-CEA263441839.jpeg

Well I finally pulled the trigger since have had great dealer support with previous trailers I bought with them. Will see how this one does, but has a pretty good stickered payload for a 14K 16 footer goose at 9150lbs.
View attachment 37425
From the picture it looks well built. I think you'll be fine. Congratulations.

Back