Dump Trailers

oops

Tremor Aficionado
Reaction Points
I'm in the market for a “jack of all trades” dump trailer for the Tremor. Something that can dump loose material and also haul equipment. Low profile, 7+ foot wide, 12+ foot long, towable with a Tremor. ideally not much more than $10k.

I've been seeing the Southland SL714 14K# popping up a bunch in local listings asking $8K–$10K. It looks compelling at that price point. I'm curious what those of you who might have strong opinions about trailers would think of the specs, and if you have any experience with the brand? (I have never heard of them before. Canadian outfit.)

IMG_6093-scaled.jpg

FRAMEHSS tube Mainframe
AXLETwo 7,000 lbs Spring Axle
TIRES4-235/80R16 Tires
RIMS16-inch Black Rims
JACK5000lbs. Drop Leg
COUPLERAdjustable 2-5/16 inch coupler
GVWR (LBS.)15,400 LB.
CURB WEIGHT (LBS.)2998 LB.
PAYLOAD CAPACITY12,402 LB.
MODEL14 Foot Tag Economy Hydraulic Dump Box
BOX DIMENSIONS14 ft. (L) x 7 ft. (W) x 16 in. (H)
HOIST8-Ton Double Acting Hydraulic Underbody Hoist
TAILGATEBarn Door style
DUMP BOX12 gauge bed c/w 14 gauge sides

What do you think about 7K axles versus 8K in this size trailer?
Any concerns about a 12 gauge bed / 14 gauge sides?

Known uses would be:
- Moving material around a ranch
- Hauling dirt/gravel
- Carrying a ~4500# tractor on occasion
- Carrying a ~12000# excavator on occasion
- Mostly on country roads, no planned highway use

Would you worry about maxing out the capacity with the excavator on occasion?

Any other models you'd recommend in this class? (Available on the west coast.)

Interesting. That's the 16K in your photo. Heavier duty, looks somewhat more appropriate to my use cases honestly. (Towing the excavator especially.) Not as easy to find…
Yea they were about 10K new but steal prices are going up so everybody’s upping their prices you could probably get by with the original one you posted and if you’re not going to spread rock you would be fine with the other barn doors just make sure whichever one you get has the rear drop legs for loading equipment so it doesn’t lift your truck up when loading

I can live without spreading. This is only for ranch work so I’ve got time/equipment to move piles around when necessary.

One annoying thing I just realized about the 14 vs. the 16 is that the tie down rings are welded to the bed rather than the sides. ?

I bought a 14' C&B, for pretty much the same purposes. It's a 14k lb trailer, de-rated to 10k to avoid commercial license requirements in CA. Have not hauled a load in it yet, but will be transporting my 6k lb excavator this weekend. There's a lot of good brands, mine was available locally for just over $10k, and it's well built.
image.jpeg
They have since gone up. I'm very glad I got the 14' vs. the 12'.

I bought a 14' C&B, for pretty much the same purposes. It's a 14k lb trailer, de-rated to 10k to avoid commercial license requirements in CA. Have not hauled a load in it yet, but will be transporting my 6k lb excavator this weekend. There's a lot of good brands, mine was available locally for just over $10k, and it's well built.View attachment 24499 They have since gone up. I'm very glad I got the 14' vs. the 12'.

I saw this on a dealer site last night. Another brand I was unfamiliar with. Thanks for the testimonial.

I didn’t realize there was a 10k# trailer limit in CA. Most I see are rated 14-16k#, I presumed for GCWR limits.

I guess I’ll only be pulling this on weekends. ?

I saw this on a dealer site last night. Another brand I was unfamiliar with. Thanks for the testimonial.

I didn’t realize there was a 10k# trailer limit in CA. Most I see are rated 14-16k#, I presumed for GCWR limits.

I guess I’ll only be pulling this on weekends. ?
As I understand it, you're supposed to have a commercial drivers lic for a bumper pull over 10k. Fortunately I have smaller equip, and 3-4 yards of rock or otherwise is all I usually need at once. I wanted to stick with the bumper pull so I can carry the quad in the truck at the same time.

As I understand it, you're supposed to have a commercial drivers lic for a bumper pull over 10k. Fortunately I have smaller equip, and 3-4 yards of rock or otherwise is all I usually need at once. I wanted to stick with the bumper pull so I can carry the quad in the truck at the same time.

Yes, it appears you are more or less correct based on this table: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...ndbook-2011/license-classes-and-requirements/

With a Class C license you can only tow a trailer with a GVWR up to 10K#.

There does appear to be an exception: “A farmer or employee of a farmer may also drive: Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire.”

I'm not yet sure how exactly one makes that argument to a police officer though.

It seems worthwhile to get a Non-Commercial Class A license in this state. It seems the only requirement is taking a driving test with the trailer attached. Not bad to avoid a potential misdemeanor.

Last edited:
My neighbor picked up one from PJ Trailers to use for his pool business to transit port his skid steer or excavator plus load the dirt and dump it. I’ve used it and it towed really nice to pull around and use. It’s a 16’, 14k low profile.

Check out Texas Pride Trailers. They seem to make really good trailers that I have heard great stuff about. I don't know if they make a trailer that works for you, but it is worth looking IMO. They seem to have a good amount of options and customization but you would have to order one for that (which you might not want to do). They seem to be decently priced. Big Truck Big RV has some great videos on their trailers that would be worth watching if interested. You used to be able to buy his spec for under 11K but that doesn't seem to be on their website anymore :(. But you could still ask them about it and there is a chance they would still run that deal for you. Whatever you end up with be sure to let us know and share some pictures!

I have a 7x14’ low profile, 14,000 lb bumper pull PJ dump trailer. It is perfect. I was going to purchase a smaller one and was given great advice to get a 7x14’ at a minimum as a small skidsteer with bucket fits inside.

It turned out to be great advice. Not because I normally haul a skid, but because it turns out that we normally haul more material than I originally thought. We can get 5 tons of material in this trailer and an f250 pulls it fine. And just turns out we can also haul a skid or mini ex or stump grinder if we need to.

Honestly I should get another one. Trailer was around $7500, plates and insurance run around $400 a year, and it needs brakes/tires/batteries about every 3. Lots of hauling over very short distances and turning circles on concrete is not easy on tires.

Only complaint, don’t overload it too heavy on the front. It won’t dump. But if you use a skid or forklift to help lift the front just enough to get the hydraulic lift going, it will give it enough to raise all the way.

So this trailer has been almost perfect, and has almost accomplished my goal of having a “jack of all trades” trailer.

In particular, the 12400# payload capacity allows me to carry everything I have (and plan to have) in it.

Unfortunately, because it's a dump trailer, the height, length, and the sides really limit what I can actually put inside of it comfortably. It's a bear to put any of my heavier equipment in it (utilizing the payload capacity) without loading being like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. And there are just things I cannot carry in a trailer with solid sides.

So now I'm in the market for yet another trailer.

Does anyone know of a bumper pull equipment trailer with a payload capacity of at least 12000 and a GVWR of no more than 16000#?

I've been searching far and wide and have yet to stumble upon one. They're all too heavy and bring the payload capacity under 12K. But if my dump trailer can be engineered within these constraints, surely an equipment trailer could?

The popular manufacturers around here, BigTex & PJ all overbuild their trailers. Thick steel, etc, etc. This is great if your priority is having a trailer that can survive a nuclear attack. Not so great if you want to maximize your payload without a CDL.

I don't need a trailer that can take a beating I need a trailer that can haul a heavy machine once in awhile.

Any recommendations?

OK, I'm an idiot and have found one option. Apparently my dump trailer manufacturer also makes equipment trailers. I thought they only did that under a sister brand (who also makes their trailers too heavy.)

Here's their option that could work: https://southlandtrailers.com/listings/18′-lowboy-flatdeck-lb18t-14-flip-up-ramps/

Only problem is the 18' length. I'd rather have 20-22', given the amount of trailer redundancy I've got going on at this point. A longer deck is a missing link.

OK, I'm an idiot and have found one option. Apparently my dump trailer manufacturer also makes equipment trailers. I thought they only did that under a sister brand (who also makes their trailers too heavy.)

Here's their option that could work: https://southlandtrailers.com/listings/18′-lowboy-flatdeck-lb18t-14-flip-up-ramps/

Only problem is the 18' length. I'd rather have 20-22', given the amount of trailer redundancy I've got going on at this point. A longer deck is a missing link.
Is load trail available in your area? Check out #ch8320072, it's a car hauler but might work in your application.

Is load trail available in your area? Check out #ch8320072, it's a car hauler but might work in your application.

Great suggestion. Thanks. Unfortunately looks like the payload is only #11055 on that one.

My excavator is 11366# without a bucket. With a typical implement payload it's just under 12400#. Ideal trailer would support that, but at least the excavator and a bucket (11500-12K range.)

Back