dumb 4wd question

jhblaze1

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2015 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock
Current Ride #2
Ducati Diavel 1260S
I've owned a number of 4wd vehicles and all were shift on the fly. I've never owned one that had manually locking hubs.

I'm confused over how things work on a truck that has both manually locking hubs and shift on the fly 4wd.

1: Let's say I don't touch the hubs but just shift into 4hi or 4low....do the hubs just automatically lock?
2: What if I get out, lock the hubs manually but do not select 4hi or 4 low on the shift knob? is the truck now in 4 hi just because the hubs are locked? I'd assume no because the transfer case didn't shift any power up front?

so what is the point of the manual locking option?

thx

davidb1841

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USAF Ret
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 Tremor Velocity Blue
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Edge SEL
I've owned a number of 4wd vehicles and all were shift on the fly. I've never owned one that had manually locking hubs.

I'm confused over how things work on a truck that has both manually locking hubs and shift on the fly 4wd.

1: Let's say I don't touch the hubs but just shift into 4hi or 4low....do the hubs just automatically lock?
2: What if I get out, lock the hubs manually but do not select 4hi or 4 low on the shift knob? is the truck now in 4 hi just because the hubs are locked? I'd assume no because the transfer case didn't shift any power up front?

thx
Very good Questions

1. Answer: They should be, their supposed to be........but that is why you can manually lock them. (Great Feature)

2. Answer: Have not a clue but do not think so.

3. Rock Taxi, do you know this one??

RaptorTremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat Sport Tremor 6.7 Velocity Blue
Current Ride #2
2014 Raptor SVT Blue Flame
It is shift on the fly. When the hubs are set to auto you can shift at any time, the manual lock is for if the vacuum system wasn't working. Its a little different from the old school style of locking hubs. If the hubs are locked the axle is spinning but there is no power being transferred to it since the transfer case is not engaged.

bo1966

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Miltary
marine
Current Ride
2020 F-250 tremor
First Responder
police
You can manually lock the hubs and stay in 2 wheel drive. Just don't make sharp turns. It behaves. It behaves like its in 4 wheel drive. Its not really good for the truck. Ive had this on 8 fords in 10 years and its always always worked as designed. Never had to manually lock them but have just to check it out. It works off a vacuum system and never had a problem

ANVIL_01

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USMC
Current Ride
Ford F350 Superduty Tremor
Current Ride #2
Ford Explorer

thx
If they are manually locked they are locked. If they are unlocked you can lock em up electronically. I saw one video I believe it was TFL where they locked the rears while in 2 wheel drive.

I am not 100 percent sure on this answer but pretty sure.

Rock Taxi

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Very good Questions

1. Answer: They should be, their supposed to be........but that is why you can manually lock them. (Great Feature)

2. Answer: Have not a clue but do not think so.

3. Rock Taxi, do you know this one??
I agree - this is a good question.

I have read the manual a couple of times, and looked at a lot of schematics, but don't have them open now.... The following is my understanding - but I am willing to listen if I have something wrong.

I am used to Warn hubs that are either free spool, or locked. The Ford hubs appear to be a different animal entirely. They are "free" in the Auto selection, unless the transfer case is engaged in 4WD. Then, they lock up to provide front traction.

As I understand it, the hubs automatically lock by one of the hoses to the knuckle when you switch to either 4H or 4L I assume a vacuum actuator locks the hub in. I have not disassembled and tested to confirm. Also, it appears you can manually select from Auto to Lock on the hub selector to ensure the hubs are locked and not rely on electronics..

I have turned both to Lock in the driveway to ensure they will rotate, but have had 100% success to date with the Auto selection setting and 4H and 4L in mud and rocks.

Ed

Grabber

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
2009 GT500 & 2018 E350
The manual feature is a backup incase the automatic hubs do not work. My vacuum pump module failed in my 2005 F250 in the middle of a snow storm, so with out the manual option, I would not been able to engage 4wd, since the hubs are engaged by vacuum. Also, like others have said, just because you lock the hubs it does not give you 4WD until the transfer case is engaged. I always exercise my 4wd a couple times a year just to make sure it is working correctly.

driftwoodsvt

First Tremor on Methods!
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
Good thread. I myself was curious about this. I've left mine in Auto since I bought it.

leogeo

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
2013 Taurus SHO
Good thread. I myself was curious about this. I've left mine in Auto since I bought it.
I can confirm this at least on my 2002. Was outin the back country in winter in 4WD. Got stuck and realized I was not in 4 WD. Locked my hubs and got 4WD and got unstuck. Later found a hole in the vacuum hose that caused the hubs to not lock automatically.

richtor

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Race Red F250 Tremor
I can confirm this at least on my 2002. Was outin the back country in winter in 4WD. Got stuck and realized I was not in 4 WD. Locked my hubs and got 4WD and got unstuck. Later found a hole in the vacuum hose that caused the hubs to not lock automatically.
When you manually lock the hubs you need to lock them on each side correct?

davidb1841

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USAF Ret
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 Tremor Velocity Blue
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Edge SEL
I agree - this is a good question.

I have read the manual a couple of times, and looked at a lot of schematics, but don't have them open now.... The following is my understanding - but I am willing to listen if I have something wrong.

I am used to Warn hubs that are either free spool, or locked. The Ford hubs appear to be a different animal entirely. They are "free" in the Auto selection, unless the transfer case is engaged in 4WD. Then, they lock up to provide front traction.

As I understand it, the hubs automatically lock by one of the hoses to the knuckle when you switch to either 4H or 4L I assume a vacuum actuator locks the hub in. I have not disassembled and tested to confirm. Also, it appears you can manually select from Auto to Lock on the hub selector to ensure the hubs are locked and not rely on electronics..

I have turned both to Lock in the driveway to ensure they will rotate, but have had 100% success to date with the Auto selection setting and 4H and 4L in mud and rocks.

Ed
Thank You....I knew you would know this.....

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge