dull thumping sound

skybopper

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 CG Platinum Tremor
I have a 21 platty tremor with 11K miles on it now. The truck runs and drives great, no complaints with it except that it has developed a dull thumping sound under the truck in the last couple thousand miles. I only notice it at low speeds while driving over bumps. I think its in the front end but the truck seems to transmit sounds through the frame so its hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. I don't hear it at higher speeds but I think it's there but masked by road noise. The dealership did a quick look at the truck (whatever that's worth) at the last oil change and said everything looks good to them in the front end. Anyone else have any experience with this or know where I should look first?

Well, could be something in the front end.....That wouldn't shock me any.

Could it be anything you have in/on the truck, like a hitch moving around?

Check your front end components while the front of the truck is raised for excessive play and make sure the fasteners are tight.

I have a 21 platty tremor with 11K miles on it now. The truck runs and drives great, no complaints with it except that it has developed a dull thumping sound under the truck in the last couple thousand miles. I only notice it at low speeds while driving over bumps. I think its in the front end but the truck seems to transmit sounds through the frame so its hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. I don't hear it at higher speeds but I think it's there but masked by road noise. The dealership did a quick look at the truck (whatever that's worth) at the last oil change and said everything looks good to them in the front end. Anyone else have any experience with this or know where I should look first?
Weird

I have the same “dull thumping sound” on my ‘21 F-250 lariat Powerstroke. I only get it at low speeds, in forward or reverse, usually off pavement at a job site or lumber yard. Cannot figure it out. Removed hitch, tightened down loose driver side battery…still no luck

Can you replicate the sound by jumping on the running board while it's parked? If so, have someone underneath the truck to see what could be making the sound. If it's while driving only, maybe you can borrow a GoPro if you can't find a volunteer to be under the vehicle while it's in motion.

I took these videos a couple days ago, the sound is almost inaudible… reminded me of my 2011 F-350 PSD when the body mounts started to go…

Attachments

• IMG_4678.MOV
    13.2 MB
  • IMG_4677.MOV
    18.7 MB
I have the same “dull thumping sound” on my ‘21 F-250 lariat Powerstroke. I only get it at low speeds, in forward or reverse, usually off pavement at a job site or lumber yard. Cannot figure it out. Removed hitch, tightened down loose driver side battery…still no luck
I have the same on my 7.3. It’s frustrating me because I can’t pinpoint it. I only hear it at low speed forward and reverse. Most of the time it’s when turning while on uneven pavement. But sometimes while steering side to side when the truck leans. i went underneath to shake and pull on everything to make sure it’s tight.

maybe I’ll disconnect the sway bar to see if the sound is radiating from the rear.

Slide under your truck and give your driveshaft a good push and yank and see if you've got wobble. Sounds like a joint in there may be loose. It's not uncommon to have a damaged/broken joint that permits some sliding when gravity does it's thing. At a certain point centrifugal force will overcome gravity and the shaft will no longer slip so the noise will go away.

Happens a lot on jeeps with oversized tires that are underaxled/shafted. Not saying I've done that, you can't prove anything.

So I went to the dealer today for them to look at it. I forced them to do a ride along with me instead of waiting for them to take it by themselves and say they don’t hear anything. I replicated the sound and found out that it rarely happens after 20 mph. They tried to tell me it’s the ball joints from my 1 1/2 inch puck under the springs. I said if that was the case you’d hear it all day long, not just low speed. I can jump up and down on the front end but you hear nothing. I also informed them that they installed the lift.

Then they tried to blame it on my ATS steering stabilizer. I’m gonna go out later and adjust it to make sure the fox ATS reservoir is not hitting anything. I have to bring it back from December 6 and they’re gonna keep for two days to look at it.

I can’t stand it when dealerships try to blame everything else.

I had bushings sound like that on a different vehicle (3/4 GM Platform). I added some grease and it stopped. I have no idea if this could be similar, but just to toss an idea out there.

Reactions: ccw
Is it a consistent noise, eg it has a rhythm, or is it more sporadic?

Have you done anything to try and reproduce it by means other than driving it? (EG lifted it and turned the wheels by hand?)

Is it a consistent noise, eg it has a rhythm, or is it more sporadic?

Have you done anything to try and reproduce it by means other than driving it? (EG lifted it and turned the wheels by hand?)
Sporadic. Something is banging. I can feel it in my foot sometimes. I just rotated the stabilizer reservoir so I’ll test it out. I noticed the one of the front spring perches is rotated 180 degrees the opposite way. Don’t know if that’s right or not. I have to research that.

So I went to the dealer today for them to look at it. I forced them to do a ride along with me instead of waiting for them to take it by themselves and say they don’t hear anything. I replicated the sound and found out that it rarely happens after 20 mph. They tried to tell me it’s the ball joints from my 1 1/2 inch puck under the springs. I said if that was the case you’d hear it all day long, not just low speed. I can jump up and down on the front end but you hear nothing. I also informed them that they installed the lift.

Then they tried to blame it on my ATS steering stabilizer. I’m gonna go out later and adjust it to make sure the fox ATS reservoir is not hitting anything. I have to bring it back from December 6 and they’re gonna keep for two days to look at it.

I can’t stand it when dealerships try to blame everything else.
My truck is completely stock and makes the same sound. I hope they get yours figured out!

My truck is completely stock and makes the same sound. I hope they get yours figured out!
I tried to tell him that. I might print out some people mentioning the same thing.

Back