Dual batteries

Walnutz

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 7.3L Lariat sport
Just wondering what the main purpose of this option is on the 7.3L? Is it designed to be able to run more lights and plug in chargers etc while not draining the main starting battery? If you need to jump start the truck can either be used? I received this option at no cost by mistake so wanting to get an understanding as to how it works. Thanks!

Just wondering what the main purpose of this option is on the 7.3L? Is it designed to be able to run more lights and plug in chargers etc while not draining the main starting battery? If you need to jump start the truck can either be used? I received this option at no cost by mistake so wanting to get an understanding as to how it works. Thanks!
yes run lights, winches, whatever really but do you have the 397 amp alternator as well? because if so.... mostly thats great... but i would use the main right on the passenger side because that where everything is set up to but it would be a good test to see if there is any difference.... it will also you to leave light on without the truck being on as you have dual batteries normal one battery you would have maybe a hour with 2 batteries you have 2 hours don't go off that but just using as a example

Does it matter which battery you use for jump start?
That's a good question... I don't know but being that the batteries cables run from battery to battery I will say no but the passenger battery is the primary and it is the closest to the starter so if the battery pack puts out only enough to get started probably would want to be closer to the starter... But if you have a heavy duty pack ... Shouldn't matter. That's just my electrician back ground talking.... When I kill my trucks battery I will figure that out .... But also you have two batteries .... How are you killing both at the same time?

Either should work. The BMS (Battery Management system) is only on one side of the truck so if you want to wire up an accessory and not have it kill the battery there is a terminal under one of the covers that is designed to be cut off if the batteries run low.

Dual Batts and dual alternators were required to get factory winch added to my order. I believe if you try to order it from Ford after purchase they will run you VIN for those features before they will sell you the "factory" winch.

Does it matter which battery you use for jump start?
I avoid a jump start with any newer vehicle. I have a portable charger jumper. ( at home) I heard some people had issues with voltage spikes and ended up with expensive repair bills just for being a good samaritan. My family ( including my adult kids) have the AAA they can use that for free and I don't have to wreck my sheet. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Either should work. The BMS (Battery Management system) is only on one side of the truck so if you want to wire up an accessory and not have it kill the battery there is a terminal under one of the covers that is designed to be cut off if the batteries run low.
This had me super curious so I went looking for info. Would love additional info if you have any, as could be very handy to hook up accessories to this to prevent a dead battery.

Something I found that’s a bit concerning if I want to replace my own battery (no idea if this is true for Super Duty’s or not; the article is written in the context of an Escape):
“BMS = Battery Monitoring System, the suite of sensors, electronic modules and computer program that determine battery condition and provide data to other systems which manage the charging rate and load-shedding (battery saver) features...”

“Battery Replacement - If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the battery monitoring system reset using the scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally, it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.”

“… The BMS data is held in non-volatile memory (it is retained even when the battery is disconnected) and cannot be reset by any means other than use of an appropriate tool plugged into the diagnostics port on the car to send the correct 'BMS reset' command-code to the Body Control Module (BCM).”

I avoid a jump start with any newer vehicle. I have a portable charger jumper. ( at home) I heard some people had issues with voltage spikes and ended up with expensive repair bills just for being a good samaritan. My family ( including my adult kids) have the AAA they can use that for free and I don't have to wreck my sheet. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
As someone that was stranded at a McDonalds on a road trip when I was a young driver, and a Prius driver turned down my ask for a jump start (admittedly in a rude manner), this makes me sad. :( I didn’t have AAA at the time (still don’t for that matter).

Farmer in an old diesel stopped shortly after and gave me a jump start thankfully.

Now that I carry a jumper pack I’ll default to that over jumper cables, but I’ll forever pull the cables out if needed.

As someone that was stranded at a McDonalds on a road trip when I was a young driver, and a Prius driver turned down my ask for a jump start (admittedly in a rude manner), this makes me sad. :( I didn’t have AAA at the time (still don’t for that matter).

Farmer in an old diesel stopped shortly after and gave me a jump start thankfully.

Now that I carry a jumper pack I’ll default to that over jumper cables, but I’ll forever pull the cables out if needed.
I have the jumper packs in most of my cars so I will help out but I won't use any of my newer vehicle to jump anyone ( if I can avoid it) All the electrics are just to fragile these days.

GOD HELP US IN THE EVENT OF AN EMP. 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲

Back