DRW tailgate light on a SRW

Seems like I remember someone commenting that the OEM light strip is a little smaller than the original blank?? If so, how much smaller is it?

My truck is Line-X’ed over the rear edge of the bed - where the light mounts. That’s standard practice for the local Line-X shop, has been for years.

IF the light is smaller, and IF they just taped over the blank when they did the Line-X (probably), I’d have a white outline around the light. Anyone else ran into this?

Seems like I remember someone commenting that the OEM light strip is a little smaller than the original blank?? If so, how much smaller is it?

My truck is Line-X’ed over the rear edge of the bed - where the light mounts. That’s standard practice for the local Line-X shop, has been for years.

IF the light is smaller, and IF they just taped over the blank when they did the Line-X (probably), I’d have a white outline around the light. Anyone else ran into this?
Incase anyone else has the same concerns and finds my posts, I pulled the stock blank off today and found that the Line-X shop removed the blank and sprayed behind it.

17+ Super Duty XB LED DRW Rear Center Marker Light From Morimoto fits like stock and adds the brake ligh function, easily spliced into the CAP wire.

Cheapest price I could find for OEM part was about $135 for the light alone. Found knock-offs on Ebay around $30-35, with connector pigtail. Decided to take a chance on one. I'll report back how it works out for those who may be interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266203378041

They sell a kit too w the light for $95. I just installed it on mine today. It looks identical to the more expensive harnesses and the light is prob the $35 ebay/amazon version. Looks like oem, works fine, the instructions are good, the zipties and small parts came in a ziplock sandwich bag. Lol. I'm happy w it.

Here's a link. It's hard to find on their site and they only have it listed for '17-20. It's correct for my '22 and fit fine.

Last edited:
They sell a kit too w the light for $95. I just installed it on mine today. It looks identical to the more expensive harnesses and the light is prob the $35 ebay/amazon version. Looks like oem, works fine, the instructions are good, the zipties and small parts came in a ziplock sandwich bag. Lol. I'm happy w it.

Here's a link. It's hard to find on their site and they only have it listed for '17-20. It's correct for my '22 and fit fine.

i just installed their light and happy with it

Cheapest price I could find for OEM part was about $135 for the light alone. Found knock-offs on Ebay around $30-35, with connector pigtail. Decided to take a chance on one. I'll report back how it works out for those who may be interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266203378041

Installed the light today. Tested with 9v battery to be sure it worked and determine which wire was + / -. Holes lined up as they should. The light is 2 pieces of plastic that clamshell together. I sealed the seam with clear RTV as preventative measure to keep moisture out. The pigtail connector to light fit was a little tight, but not a problem. Ran my own wires and used a Posi-tap to pickup 12v off the license plate light, ran the ground to frame. All wires heatshrinked, dielectric greased, and in 1/4" wire loom, ziptied to factory loom as they should be.

Works good and beats the heck out of $135 for OEM. Even if the light dies in a few years, I can replace it 6 times before hitting the cost of OEM (and I'm a guy that buys OEM 99% of the time).

IMG_5810.jpeg

Last edited:
Back