Does Tremor Finally Have Competition from RAM?

VB!

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 7.3
I looked at the Power Wagon when I got my Tremor and it didn't have the capability I needed. After reading this article I think Ram created closer competitor for the Tremor. It's still not going to get me to switch.

Thoughts?

It looks like they definitely tried to close the gap in terms of payload and capability.

But it's still a RAM (Fiat).

<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:56%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xiMUwBRn5RDLhzwO80" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

I looked at the Power Wagon when I got my Tremor and it didn't have the capability I needed. After reading this article I think Ram created closer competitor for the Tremor. It's still not going to get me to switch.

Thoughts?

The payload for the diesel model is quite disappointing (1,980 pounds)

However, the 6 seat configuration in the RAM is awesome. I wish Ford would offer something similar in the top tier models.

"diesel engine, payload is reduced to 1,980 pounds"

👎 Yeah that's not a competitor to the Tremor at all. I look at what Ram made and have to ask what's the point? To me it seems like they missed the mark entirely and produced a vehicle that basically has no point.

Rams have had an ugly side for a while, but this one takes the cake. Ugh. Pug inspired front end?

👎 Yeah that's not a competitor to the Tremor at all. I look at what Ram made and have to ask what's the point? To me it seems like they missed the mark entirely and produced a vehicle that basically has no point.
It was a way to get the diesel in their off road package to compete with the Tremor. I don't know why they don't just put the cummins in the Power Wagon, legacy be damned. Back when they created the Power Wagon there werent many, if any, civilian diesels. Just like the Tremor doesnt have the offroad chops of the power wagon, Ram missed the mark trying to make an off road vehicle compete with what the Tremor does, which is decent off road platform, and it can haul and tow

I looked at a Ram, and gave it serious consideration before buying my Tremor.

But it was the AEV Prospector that is built on the Ram 2500/3500 platform. It’s a nice rig. But I’m a Ford guy. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on it.

Last edited:

The point is off road oriented vehicles are selling and people want them. Alllot of people prefer the cummins, and they sell allot of them. People into overland that want a cummins powered truck that is capable off road but not as dedicated as a power wagon will look hard at this new truck.

It was a way to get the diesel in their off road package to compete with the Tremor. I don't know why they don't just put the cummins in the Power Wagon, legacy be damned. Back when they created the Power Wagon there werent many, if any, civilian diesels. Just like the Tremor doesnt have the offroad chops of the power wagon, Ram missed the mark trying to make an off road vehicle compete with what the Tremor does, which is decent off road platform, and it can haul and tow
Don't give up hope - Ford has been looking at a "Raptor HD" or "Tremor R" with more offroad worthy suspension and 37's from the factory - time will tell if they move ahead with a production version of that option, or they continue to leave it to the after market.

I dont understand why so many think the Power Wagon is that much better off road. Like Im talking about real world situations. I cant think of many places a PW can go that a Tremor cant. Its just as huge, so fitting on trails is the same. Again talking real world where you can actually take these trucks, the front locker is not gonna make that big of a difference over the limited slip front end. I wont argue it might have a slightly easier time, but if you have seen any videos of the 2 going head to head, its not like its a Rubicon vs a Tacoma or anything , they did everything a PW did, the Tremor lifted rear tire more like twice... Id give it a 10% edge off road. But the Tremor a 50% edge everywhere else.

I considered the PW at first, like anyone would ...but the Ram felt much cheaper and the payload was not up to snuff, and these are real advantages in my book to having a real all around truck.

Im sure they will sell these trucks just fine, but with no front locker of any kind and still less payload and towing, I think they could of done better. Add the fact you cant get an after market locker for the Ram HD, the PW is the only way to get a locker so you cant get a regular Ram HD and keep most of the payload by adding after market stuff. Just seems like they didnt really think it through that well. But I guess your typical HD truck guy is not going all out on off road, just needs enough to do typical driving across pastures type of work.

like ram way more than chevy or gmc, but just the lines and proportions can't compete with ford. i think the front end more than other things makes the others hard to look at.

Thoughts?
I've owned three trucks in my lifetime. All three was Ford and never had engine problems (knock on wood). With that said I would never know because I probably will never drive another brand.

Same here. The 10spd tranny over a 6 spd was a positive difference ti me for what that’s worth.

The payload for the diesel model is quite disappointing (1,980 pounds)
Yes, this exactly. Had a dealer try to sell me a PowerWagon when I was looking for Tremors.

I asked him one simple question - "Does that come in a 1 Ton?". End of conversation.

Until Ram offers that, there is no competition.

I dont understand why so many think the Power Wagon is that much better off road. Like Im talking about real world situations. I cant think of many places a PW can go that a Tremor cant. Its just as huge, so fitting on trails is the same. Again talking real world where you can actually take these trucks, the front locker is not gonna make that big of a difference over the limited slip front end. I wont argue it might have a slightly easier time, but if you have seen any videos of the 2 going head to head, its not like its a Rubicon vs a Tacoma or anything , they did everything a PW did, the Tremor lifted rear tire more like twice... Id give it a 10% edge off road. But the Tremor a 50% edge everywhere else.

I considered the PW at first, like anyone would ...but the Ram felt much cheaper and the payload was not up to snuff, and these are real advantages in my book to having a real all around truck.

Im sure they will sell these trucks just fine, but with no front locker of any kind and still less payload and towing, I think they could of done better. Add the fact you cant get an after market locker for the Ram HD, the PW is the only way to get a locker so you cant get a regular Ram HD and keep most of the payload by adding after market stuff. Just seems like they didnt really think it through that well. But I guess your typical HD truck guy is not going all out on off road, just needs enough to do typical driving across pastures type of work.
The power wagon is shorter and has a tighter turning radius. Also the power wagon has a front locker, disconnecting sway bar, flexible joints at the radius arms and a much softer suspension (which gives it less payload). Having driven a power wagon many times and many times off road, it definitely is more capable off-road but it comes with a cost… payload. Your right, ram has missed out, the only way to get a locker is with the power wagon, ram needs the rebel hd to compete with the segment ford filled with the tremor.

Yes, this exactly. Had a dealer try to sell me a PowerWagon when I was looking for Tremors.

I asked him one simple question - "Does that come in a 1 Ton?". End of conversation.

Until Ram offers that, there is no competition.
Power wagons cannot be built to 1 to specs due to their suspension design. If you want a ram competitor to the tremor look at the new hd rebel.

Back