Does the spare tire not have a TPMS sensor?

Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
Lost a tire yesterday to a road hazard, and have had "1 psi" on the display with warning lights and buzzers for the last 250 miles, and the spare is at 80psi by my tire gauge. Is there not a TPMS Sensor in the spare?

Ed

Lost a tire yesterday to a road hazard, and have had "1 psi" on the display with warning lights and buzzers for the last 250 miles, and the spare is at 80psi by my tire gauge. Is there not a TPMS Sensor in the spare?

Ed
It didn’t in my Raptor. I added one because I incorporated it in to the tire rotation. I doubt the superduty spare has one.
C

Thanks! A bit annoying it doesn't have one, but hopefully it won't be on the ground long to make the warning beep.

Ed

being that the spare sits under the bed it would probably send a signal to the truck when one of the tires is really flat

being that the spare sits under the bed it would probably send a signal to the truck when one of the tires is really flat

Good point.

Ed

Yes this is true. But your local tire shop can add a sensor in the spare. The software for the tpms will only allow 4 tires. So they don’t program the spare in to it. So when I add my spare to the rotation, I have to get them to reprogram it. I was hoping I might be able to do this on my own with FORSCAN but haven’t tried it yet.
C

Reading my tire warranty document in the owner's manual package, it appears road hazards are NOT covered by the warranty. I guess I get to pay someone over $300 for a new tire.

I am starting to dislike these Duratrac tires again after a rough start with them on the street.

Should I seriously consider dismounting the spare to put it on the flat tire location to use these up, and get a different tire in the same size for the spare to match my future tires that are hopefully as quiet as these, but tougher and a bit all-terrain-ey? What would be tougher, yet still highway and light trail worthy?

I was actually starting to like the Duratrac as they broke in,, but if I can drive down a dirt ranch road and lose a tire on the middle of the tread (I didn't see anything and was watching) I wonder how tough these things are.

Ed

Reading my tire warranty document in the owner's manual package, it appears road hazards are NOT covered by the warranty. I guess I get to pay someone over $300 for a new tire.

I am starting to dislike these Duratrac tires again after a rough start with them on the street.

Should I seriously consider dismounting the spare to put it on the flat tire location to use these up, and get a different tire in the same size for the spare to match my future tires that are hopefully as quiet as these, but tougher and a bit all-terrain-ey? What would be tougher, yet still highway and light trail worthy?

I was actually starting to like the Duratrac as they broke in,, but if I can drive down a dirt ranch road and lose a tire on the middle of the tread (I didn't see anything and was watching) I wonder how tough these things are.

Ed

I wonder if it was just a bad coincidence. I mean had you had tires you like and this still happened, would you think the same of those tires? I wonder what you ran over, a meat cleaver?

Ed
I am interested to know what happened to the tire do you have pictures?

Ford Super Duty spares generally don't have a TPMS. Not to mention the TPMS must be "moving" (ie spinning) to function.

So I'd bet you could mount a TPMS in the spare, you would just need the learning tool or be smart about how to do the procedure once you placed the spare into service. The TPMS tool is like $35 or whatever....it's not super expensive.

Ford Super Duty spares generally don't have a TPMS. Not to mention the TPMS must be "moving" (ie spinning) to function.

So I'd bet you could mount a TPMS in the spare, you would just need the learning tool or be smart about how to do the procedure once you placed the spare into service. The TPMS tool is like $35 or whatever....it's not super expensive.
you don't need a tool there is a procedure to learn the sensors and if you get FORD OEM sensor you may not need to learn the sensors i got OEM ford sensors off amazon and they worked with out having to do the learn process but every ford vehicles has a process my F150 is hit the harzard button 4 times and it starts the learning process and you just have to let air out the tires and it honks when it has learned them .... so have a air tank available

I am interested to know what happened to the tire do you have pictures?

I didn't think to take pictures of the damage, but it was pretty unremarkable from the outside. Just a 3" long gash in the center of the tread from inside to outside.

Ed

I wonder if it was just a bad coincidence. I mean had you had tires you like and this still happened, would you think the same of those tires? I wonder what you ran over, a meat cleaver?
It is totally possible it is a bad coincidence. I have covered over 4 million miles since I started driving (all types of vehicles) and have never had this kind of a failure. I will put forth a hypothesis in defense of the Duratrac's though.

Due to the great ride, handling and control of the Tremor and Tires, I was cruising down a pretty nasty dirt road faster than I have done in anything but a desert racer. The speed may be a part of why something could puncture the tread.

New tire on - Discount Tire in Texas has decent prices - so this is behind me and I am back to working on modifying the rig!

Ed

.... so have a air tank available

Yea...I'll buy a pocket sized TPMS tool cause I don't need to let the air out to have the system read the sensor.

Latest Discussions

Back